DECEMBER 2021 ANIMAL & WILDLIFE CHALLENGE

Jo Castillo Nice 'snoozing cat' sketch !

Claudia This is lovely , especially her eyes !

Cheers,
Patricia

Jo, I love your cat. Glad you were able to participate.

Claudia, your cat is so sweet. I love his expression and the way he is looking at us.

Here's mine for this month. Artrage digital oils. I started with a freehand "pencil" sketch and then worked in layers. The spots are all in their own layer with the edges softened. For the fur, I block in the colors, changing slightly with each load of "paint" and then blend with the pallet knife.

20211201D Dalmation Pup (Dec Wildlife, KreativeK).jpg

Thanks for hosting this month Kay.

Vivien, so beautiful. I love pastels and you gave life and softness to your horse. I'm smiling.
Penny, wow, the colored pencil pup is amazing. You got so much texture.

I did a sketch to take part. I haven't been painting much. In a Canson sketchbook with a Micron 02 and brush pens. I put it up now after midnight as I won't have time tomorrow. Thanks.

View attachment 15470
Thank you, Jo.

Yours is a sweetie, Jo. A nice sketch.

Morning all! Looking good so far!

Viv, lovely serene horse portrait. The soft colours give the sense of a really gentle animal.
Penny, I like your spotty pup very much. You've caught the dog's character and the black and white are striking.
Jo Castillo, Nice little kitten sketch. You've managed to make the fur look really fluffy, which I'm admiring particularly because I did not manage to achieve a fluffy effect with mine.

Here is my effort, I chose Pearl. Watercolours on A4 cold pressed paper. I had a bit of an accident with the red paint and the fur looks too smooth, but I'm quite pleased with the face and the cushion. I might have achieved more fluffiness if I'd used watercolour pencils, but I wanted to try only using watercolour paints for this one.

View attachment 15471
Thank you, Claudia. Your cat is excellent, such a good background as well.

Jo, I love your cat. Glad you were able to participate.

Claudia, your cat is so sweet. I love his expression and the way he is looking at us.

Here's mine for this month. Artrage digital oils. I started with a freehand "pencil" sketch and then worked in layers. The spots are all in their own layer with the edges softened. For the fur, I block in the colors, changing slightly with each load of "paint" and then blend with the pallet knife.

View attachment 15473

Thanks for hosting this month Kay.
Another sweetie. Very nice, Anne. It sound like a lot of digital work.

Anne. Very nice puppy.
Cheers,
Patricia

Kay These are excellent - and they are both such sweeties too !
Cheers,
Patricia

Here are my drawings. Both are black and white charcoal sticks, pencils
and powder on Canson's toned pastel paper .
Cheers,
Patricia

tndalmation.jpg

and here are some of the WIP [progress] photo's

dalmationWIP1.jpg

dalmationWIP2.jpg

dalmationWIP3.jpg

I think I've been getting a bit too 'nitpicky' with details so I thought
I'd do a quick 2 minute 'gesture' drawing of the doe -well I intended
it to be 2 minutes - it turned out to be 20 minutes !!

tndoe.jpg

Claudia - That is beautiful, esp the textures of the fabrics. The eyes and expressions are perfect. If you want to get a fluffier look to the fur, you may be able to soften the outline of the cat with a wee bit of water and lift.

Anne - Adorable

Kay - My fave is the deer. I so often do not know how to interpret a photo, but you always "show me the way". The overhead angle is odd, but you did a great job w/ that and the colors.

Patricia - Fab job on both; you are very impressive. I couldn't do the doe in 20 hours, let alone 20".

Cindy - The focal point (face) is really well done, and very natural looking. The cat would stand out more if the value of the couch on which it is on is lighter. Also, you do not have to have the background items in sharp focus, or even present. I look at the ref photo first and see what can be altered to create a better composition.

First off- Kay -thank you for hosting.
Vivien - Great job on the horse - he looks snuggly soft.
Penny - Sweet work on the dalmatian. Those ears - perfect!
Jo Castillo - Sweet sketch of the fluffy kitten. Good job.
Claudia - Awesome work on Sweet Pearl. Great job on those eyes.
Anne - Nice job on the dalmatian.
Kay - Love the deer and the colors used. The kitty is sweet too!
Patricia - Fabulous job on the dalmatian. Thanks for the step photos. The deer is very good also.
Eyepaint - These are so cool. I love your style. The white kitty with the green eyes is my fav.
Great job everyone!

Vivien - awww this looks like your beloved horse! You know that face so well :)
Penny - awww dalmation with crossed front legs
Jo - awww sleepy kitty
Claudia - oh! those eyes! So lovely!
Anne - awww digi fire house dog :)
Kay - snoozy deer and snoozy kitty! With bonus twisty cast shadows from a plant
Patricia - awww what a lovely face. Thank you for posting the WIPs. Oh a deer with a bonus of wobbly shadow! Cool!
Cindy - awww cute tuxedo cat (Is that what this b&w breed is called?) Chester. And thank you
Joy - thank you
Christel - awww kitty on a stone - cool! And thank you.

Back