Animal and wildlife challenge for January 2023

Beautiful Joy. I love it! Wonderful wood texture and good job on the fur.

Here's mine. I did the Llama. I was going to add color but now I'm not sure, I kind of like it the way it is.

I started with a freehand pencil sketch, added the ink with micron pens 005 and 01 and then erased the pencil. XL MixMedia sketchbook.

View attachment 27760
The alway look so “snooty”, Anne, and you have portrayed that. Love the drawing.

Reactions: ams
I haven’t had time to do much and have just drawn a horse’s head in coloured pencils and pen. I am busy knitting two Guernseys and am in the process of taking on a new dog after losing my dear Indy. Hope to do better next challenge.

B1A8EA0A-22C5-41E6-AFC5-EB76A893F168.jpeg

Joy: Your raccoon turned out beautiful! Definitely frame worthy
Anne: beautiful work on the llama. I also don't think he needs color. You could do a print out of him, and add color to that, and see what you think.
Penny: Your horse if wonderful!

what you are posting is fantastic, Joy, magical raccoon, raccon I find them one of the most beautiful animals, yours is fantastic.
Anne, it's wonderful, I love it.
Shuee, wonderful horse.

I post what I did, these are digital, I made them with ipad, to reduce the file size I use geniuscan, today it didn't work, but after a couple of attempts I succeeded, so I post them. I also made an a5 sheet with a pen, later I'll look for the photo and put it

the second raccoon, it's the same drawing i wanted to color it and i was drawing on it to start coloring it, but i just made ears and i got stuck, later or in a couple of days maybe i'll continue it, one or two i was thinking about coloring it and I had chosen him

2023-01-20 15-39 1.jpeg
2023-01-20 15-39 2.jpeg
2023-01-20 15-39 4.jpeg
2023-01-20 15-39 5.jpeg
2023-01-20 15-39.jpeg

Thank you all for your comments!

Anne, I don't think it needs color, either. Some darker values in the area around the eyes and nose (where the hair is darker) may give it more impact.
Penny, That came out quite well. What I especially like is the variety of brown shades that blend so well.
Joe, Your drawing proportions, value and details continue to improve. The raccoon and llama came out really well.

what you are posting is fantastic, Joy, magical raccoon, raccon I find them one of the most beautiful animals, yours is fantastic.
Anne, it's wonderful, I love it.
Shuee, wonderful horse.

I post what I did, these are digital, I made them with ipad, to reduce the file size I use geniuscan, today it didn't work, but after a couple of attempts I succeeded, so I post them. I also made an a5 sheet with a pen, later I'll look for the photo and put it

the second raccoon, it's the same drawing i wanted to color it and i was drawing on it to start coloring it, but i just made ears and i got stuck, later or in a couple of days maybe i'll continue it, one or two i was thinking about coloring it and I had chosen him

View attachment 27767View attachment 27768View attachment 27769View attachment 27770View attachment 27771
I really like your sketches, Joe. They are all expressive. I like the sepia horse a lot. Well done for doing so many.

Thanks Vivien, Penny, Triduanna, CaliAnn and Joe1lt for your comments on my

Penny, nice work on your horse.

Joe, I like all of your drawings, especially the bear and racoon (first version).

Inquisitive and probably hungry coon is all too cute, Joy, an amazing ink and wash piece. You need to frame this guy.

Anne, yes, leave the llama as is since this is a strong and bold sketch. Very well done.

Penny, your horse is so gently looking in this image. So sorry to hear you lost Indy! Always hurts to lose one of the family.

Joe, your sketch collection is growing and so is your ability to do a lot of them so well.

I did a crop of the polar bear and flipped the image, 4.75x4.75 square watercolors on Fabriano 140 lb rough paper.

Ice Bear.jpg

Kay, the rough paper was a great idea for textures.
Christel, fabulous! You are amazing. I like the BG for the llama. I thought the cat ref looked familiar from another challenge.

Last edited:
EP, the challenge wouldn't be complete without your fun interpretation!

Back