Triad .. I show you mine .. you show me yours .. can be any

Enyaw

namuh
Winsor and Newton .. only mention this as most different manfactures have color differences.

French Ultramarine Blue .. Indian Yellow .. Permanent Rose .. Titanium White
001.JPG

Then I make a few mixtures
blue .... blue + Yellow .. blue dominant .... blue + red Blue .. red dominant
yellow ... yellow + blue .. blue dominant .... yellow + red .. red dominant
red ... red + yellow .. yellow dominant yellow + red .. red dominant

beside each dark mixture is a light version of the mixture made by adding white.
Surprising how some dark mixtures can make such lights .. the power of Indian Yellow
002.JPG

and then a study using my triad .

triad.jpg

So please add to the thread .. any triad + white but out of tube colors .. it's fun ..

Last edited:
Nice triad! Indian yellow can be very powerful indeed.
I don't have a picture, but for skin tone and muted atmosphere, (W&N here too) ivory black, cadmium red, and yellow orche pale is my fav triad. I used that for my recent self-portrait painting, and added a bit of raw umber for the background and a touch of cobalt turquoise light for my collar. So, it's not strictly pure triad work, but I think in this case it worked pretty well. :D

thanks Dm7 .. it's surprising what you can get from so little. I don't have any of that triad as I have a very limited number of colors. Had a lot more in my younger day but now I just saunter along and get by with less.

Reactions: Dm7
thanks Dm7 .. it's surprising what you can get from so little. I don't have any of that triad as I have a very limited number of colors. Had a lot more in my younger day but now I just saunter along and get by with less.
Good for you. Many artists say it's enough to have few colors anyway. I'm almost ashamed to say I'm a color hoarder here. I just had to learn about their pigments and how they behave differently. It's quite an experience by itself and that way I get to experiment with many triads and came across some interesting and unexpected palettes, like burnt sienna, raw umber, and prussian blue. Now that was a fun triad to do. 🤣

burnt sienna, raw umber, and prussian blue. Now that was a fun triad to do
yes .. that would be interesting .. color is an interesting subject as the possibilities are endless .. I find it gets real interesting when you get down to tertiary color. It amazes me how a gray can change the whole dynamics of a piece based on value.

Back