Show us your palette and tell us why

RenatoNF

I researched the forum first to see if there was a thread about this subject, but didn't find any. So, I thought to start one, because this subject is one of the most intresting aspects of painting for me, the pigment choices.

Some people have a palette of colors for portrait, another one for landscapes, etc. It seems to me that this just complicates things instead of improving, anyone thinks this way? Anyway, I'll share the palette that I use for every painting and tell the reasons why I think each pigment is usefull.

I paint in oils and I try to avoid fast drying pigments, because usually they dry to a sunken in spot while i’m painting and makes it difficult to judge values. Also, I like to work wet on wet. So, no Umbers, Prussian Blues and most earth colors for me.

The logic for the palette layout: TW + 3 desaturated colors + 5 saturated colors.
I start a mix with some amount of the desaturated colors and then ajust with the saturated ones. Keeps it simple IMO.

PW6 – Titanium White
PY 43 – Yellow Ochre (M. Graham, for the gloss and slow drying)
PBr25 – Transparent Maroon
PBk 31 – Perylene Black
PY 150 – Nickel Azo Yellow
PR 255 – Scarlet Lake
PR 122 – Quinacridone Magenta
PB 29 – Ultramarine Blue
PG 36 – Phthalo Green Yellow Shade
*ON THE SIDE BENCH: PY 35 – Cad. Yellow Light (only used on the parts of the painting that the PY150 can't reach)

Reasons for each pigment:

Yellow Ochre: Opaque PY43 is great, it seems to me like the most useful earth color to be a starting point for mixing desaturated colors. Add Magenta = opaque natural reds (in place of Venetian Red / Terra Rosa), Add Perylene Black = opaque natural greens (in place of Chromium Oxide Green). Add Phtalo Green = opaque rich greens. Add T. Maroon = opaque browns, chocolates, warms. The list goes on. Here are some mixes of Yellow Ochre + transparent pigments:

1.jpg

Transp. Maroon + Perylene Black: These two serve me as “blacks”. A cool one, and a warm one. They together make a neutral. The one disadvantage is their price compared to PBk 6, 9 or 11. But I think this couple makes the best chromatic blacks because of the high tinting strengh, the glossy finish (unlike PBr7 blacks or even traditional carbon blacks) and dry at a moderate rate (good for wet on wet). I could also recommend M. Graham Ivory Black PBk 9, very high tinting strengh, opaque, dries at a moderate rate to a satin finish. Great option for a more limited palette.

In case you are curious about PBk31, here it is: (bottom left PBk31 + White, upper row is pbk31+Yellow, bottom row is pbk31+Yellow+White in random amounts)

2.jpg

Nickel Azo Yellow: add white and you get 90% of the brightness and saturation of Cad. Yellow Light, with lots of covering power (see image below). But, since PY150 is transparent, what it might lose in upper range, it gains much more in versatility. So, this color can be used to add just that little bit of yellow to a mixture without changing its value (great for dark rich mixes, unlike any opaque yellow). I could also recommend PY110 India Yellow, but its semi-transparent and a lot warmer (I find the cooler more versatile). Another option is PY128, but its a lot more expensive.

3.jpg

Scarlet Lake and Quin. Magenta: PR255 and PR122 will get you the all the red range in the world. Both mixed together will get you the color of Cad. Red Medium. Opacity of PR255 is fine, and Quin. Magenta is one of the best colors for mixing in all pigments, in my opinion. I can also recommend Cad. Red Light instead, but PR255 mixes better, is cheaper and gets the job done. I could also recommend WN Permanent Carmine (PV19) in place of PR122, its a dark rich cool red, an Alizarin Crimson type of color.

Ultramarine blue: no need to explain why, the list of “pros” is off the charts. I could also recommend Pht. Blue Red Shade in its place (having PG 36 on the palette, the red shade makes more sense then the green shade IMO, and the green shade is less predictable with its duo tone nature).

Phthalo Green Yellow Shade: PG36 is a fantastic mixer. This saturated color has a huge range, but its tinting strengh is far lower then its brother PG 7 (PG blue shade), so its easy to work with. Fills the gap of green gamuth and I prefer having a transparent cheap pigment like this rather then expensive and arguably less versatile Cobalt Teal. If you find that pure PG36 is too harsh for skin tone ajustments, for example, just make a pile of PG36+Yellow Ochre and use that, it works great.

That was it, im curious to know about your palettes!

That's much to clean and tidy for me. I don't have a set palette for all as I go limited and full. My choice is a warm and cold.
French UltraMarine Blue
Pthalo Blue
Permanent Rose
Vermilion
Lemon Yellow
Indian Yellow
Extras are Burnt Sienna, Yellow Ocher, and Titanium White.
I get a neutral black from FUB and Burnt Sienna if I want one but mostly stay away from black as I like 1/2 tone drops off dark darks and I like color in my darks.
The Vermillion, Yellow Ochre, Titanium white are opaque and the others are transparent or translucent.

Hey Wayne, those are nice choices!
You and I are not that far off, I would say. My 3 opaques are also White + Yellow ochre and Red (mine being PR255)
You're Burnt Sienna serves you roughly as PBr25 serves me.
Your Indian Yellow serves you roughly as PY150 serves me.
Vermilion and P.Rose are like PR255 + PR122.
Thats cool!! 😄

I indeed choose to have Phthalo Green instead of Phthalo Blue, that is some diference. But not by much, I would say, since one of the main reasons to use Phthalo Blue is to get more green range.
And u choose to put lemon Yellow also, great color. I found that, for me, PY150 replaces Cad. Yellow and Indian Yellow for about 95% of the painting, if not all, depending on the subject matter. So i just reduced the main yellow to that, and keep the Cad Yellow on the reserve. I tried to substitute PY150 for, well, everything... but I keep coming back to it haha

And I agree about the blacks deadening dark colors. Thats one of the reasons I've got so many transparent darks in my palette... and also replaced traditional blacks for PBr25 + PBk31, which are rich transparents. PBr25 + Ultramarine blue gives a nice neutral too
Very nice palette!

Last edited:
Thanks for posting your palette with such interesting observations, Renato - I really enjoyed reading your reasoning, and also your suggested alternate colours.

My main colour choices are variations around your three desaturated colours - though I don't avoid earths, umbers, or Prussian Blue. Prussian Blue is usually my main mixing blue.

Renato, I am so happy to see that you use the pigment numbers and not just colour names. My palette isn't fixed; it varies from painting to painting and depends on what I'm trying to achieve. Currently, though, I am using greys and blacks a lot. I see you also use PBk31 (perylene black), which I adore.

Last edited:
Hi Triss and Hermes, my pleasure, thanks for the kind messages!

Triss, I really enjoy this kind of talk and glad to be helpful. About earths, umbers, prussian blue, oh well, I wish they didn't dry fast!!! Prussian blue is such a beaultiful color and has such great handling characteristcs. Greater tinting strengh... near Ultramarine Blue, Prussian Blue seems like a power color! haha. Blacks from Prussian Blue + Burnt Umber are also superb, it would be my choice for blacks if I used fast drying pigments. And earths too are all useful. I think the one i probably miss most would be Transparent Red Iron Oxide.... or, no, Raw Umber, Burnt Umber?... i dont know... too many to choose!

Hermes, glad you also enjoy PBk31, its such a rich transparent tinting color, people just should give it a try... it just a matter of thinking of it like really dark blue green and all is good! hehe. About the palette varing, yeah, I can see the reasons behind this. If it works for you, awesome, I vouch for palette freedom :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I have no constant pallet because I'm always doing something different. And jump between acrylics and oil. Studio and plein air.

One that I most enjoy is my bucket of 45? Liquitex Basics acrylic colors that I just dump on the desk top and grab whichever color is closest to what I want. My last painting I just squeezed directly from the tubes onto the canvas. It's so cave man, I love it. I'll admit to being a complete color savage, not suitable for polite society.

Whose PY150 do you use? I don't think Winsor & Newton have it in their artist's oils.

Edit later: I just saw on their website that W&N have a single pigment Artist's Oil called Indian Yellow Deep, which is PY150. It is now on my shopping list. Bismuth Yellow, PY184, looks interesting as well.

Last edited:
Renato. I should say that most of my color is somewhat muted and at times I use a mother color so that the palette is connected. Pthalo Blue/Permanent Rose make a great purple. Pthalo Blue/lemon yellow make your brilliant greens. CAD Orange I can't get extra close but I can get a good orange. The Burnt Sienna is a starter for orange.

Renato. I should say that most of my color is somewhat muted and at times I use a mother color so that the palette is connected. Pthalo Blue/Permanent Rose make a great purple. Pthalo Blue/lemon yellow make your brilliant greens. CAD Orange I can't get extra close but I can get a good orange. The Burnt Sienna is a starter for orange.

Whose PY150 do you use? I don't think Winsor & Newton have it in their artist's oils.

Edit later: I just saw on their website that W&N have a single pigment Artist's Oil called Indian Yellow Deep, which is PY150. It is now on my shopping list. Bismuth Yellow, PY184, looks interesting as well.
I bought a while ago the M.Graham PY150, called Nickel Azo Yellow, but it was a little cheaper then. Now the WN India Yellow Deep PY150 is the cheaper one, but i still havent tried that one yet. Maybe you could share with us when you buy it? Yeah, Never used the PY184, but it sure looks great!

Gotcha, Wayne! I also tend to mix mostly dirty colors on my work, i try to paint realism with a loose brushwork, when I can.Yeah, very versitale palette of yours.

I have no constant pallet because I'm always doing something different. And jump between acrylics and oil. Studio and plein air.

One that I most enjoy is my bucket of 45? Liquitex Basics acrylic colors that I just dump on the desk top and grab whichever color is closest to what I want. My last painting I just squeezed directly from the tubes onto the canvas. It's so cave man, I love it. I'll admit to being a complete color savage, not suitable for polite society.
hahahah, cool John, savage cave man style, all adds interest! 😆

There is a recent thread that got into this here: https://creativespark.art/threads/colours-for-split-primaries.3193/page-2 but the whole thread is not on the subject of people's palette's itself, so I'm glad you made one.

This is basically what I post there...

Here is a sample palette I made a long time ago, but it's changed a bit since because of different series I've created since. I also mix more. This one was a bit before 2016. These are all mostly Gamblin, except for Raw and Burnt Umber, which is Daler-Rowney:

I still like most of these but also use/have replaced some with:

Titanium Buff
Titanium White
Hansa Yellow
Cadmium Yellow Deep
Cerulean Blue
Radiant Violet
Phalo Blue
Napthol Scarlet

palette.jpg

Cool Ayin, a lot of variaty there. You said now you do more mixing, does that mean that before you used the paints as they came out of the tube? If so, that's impressive, must be a challenge. At least mixing with white, right? Intresting aproach

Renato, welcome aboard.
I pretty much stick to single pigment paint colors and usually start with this basic palette.
(I dont have separate palettes for portrait, landscape, etc.)
White:
PW 6, PW 4
Yellows:
PY 35 ( Cad Yellow light, Med, and Cad Lemon or Pale) or PY 184 ( Bismuth Yellow)
Blues:
PB 29 (Ultramarine Deep)
PB 15 (Phalo Blue) sparingly
Reds:
PR 108 (Cad Red) or PR 254 (Pyrrole Red) or PR 255 (Pyrrole Scarlet)
PR 101 - lighter shades
Violets:
PV 23 (Dioxazine Violet)
Earth Colors: colors vary greatly depending on processing procedures (color names? -so various per MFG not worth listing)
PY42 or PY 43 Yellow Iron Oxide
PBr 7 Brown Iron Oxide
PBr 8 Manganese Brown
Sometimes added as desired or substituted
PY 184
PB 28
PR 122
PV19
PV 14
Black : PBk not usually on the palette, but sometimes used to mute a color.

Last edited:
Dioxazine Violet, nice Barrie! Thats a color I debate with myself constantly to see if I want it or not, hehe. You prefer PV23 as a standard and use PR 122 or PV 19 when needed, did I get it right? And if so, why?

I still mixed some then, but a few came right out of the tube with some white added, of course--like pink, blues, or the greens, depending. Now I mix a lot of different greens and browns and yellow because I do more landscapes.

Dioxazine Violet, nice Barrie! Thats a color I debate with myself constantly to see if I want it or not, hehe. You prefer PV23 as a standard and use PR 122 or PV 19 when needed, did I get it right? And if so, why?
I see I have a tube of PV23, but I don't think I've ever used any of it.

To me, PV 23 is a cooler Violet. Very powerful pigment which I find hard to mix a red and blue substitute. Can be mixed with yellows to make interesting browns that are more transparent than earth pigments. Also can make interesting greys with blue and white, then a little yellow with cool to greenish greys.

Back