September 2024 Water Media Challenge- Come join the fun!

Wonderful poppies from you all!
Sanlynn - Beautiful watercolor and ink of the house on the cliff!
Ellen - Great work on the sunset sky and i like your view of the cliff!
Christine - Beautiful work on the little Maltese dog. You handled his long hair wonderfully! Im in the middle of painting the same dog....and its not going well. Easy to draw, not so easy to paint in watercolor. Will see what develops...if anything! Congrats to you, in getting such a terrific painting of him!

Oh thank you Vivien. It can be tricky. First thing I did was put a little bit of colour behind the dog and then I had to play a little bit. With washed out grey lines, white gouache over some areas to push forward and show texture. Some blue in slightly shadowed areas of the mouth and finally black for the outline. I had the eyes down perfect but because I was playing with creating fur and figuring out how much I needed of any colour to get the right look i ended up messing with the eye.
Looking forward to seeing your version!

Oh thank you Vivien. It can be tricky. First thing I did was put a little bit of colour behind the dog and then I had to play a little bit. With washed out grey lines, white gouache over some areas to push forward and show texture. Some blue in slightly shadowed areas of the mouth and finally black for the outline. I had the eyes down perfect but because I was playing with creating fur and figuring out how much I needed of any colour to get the right look i ended up messing with the eye.
Looking forward to seeing your version!
I used to be a watercolor artist, but the last few years have painted mainly in pastel, so just getting back to watercolors. so easy to describe animal fur with pastels! But unfortunately having a few breathing problems with pastels now.

I have the breathing problems with pastel as well. As much as I would love to work with it more even a little bit I noticed bothers me.

I have the breathing problems with pastel as well. As much as I would love to work with it more even a little bit I noticed bothers me.
Yes you can have multiple breathing problems with pastels. I changed to PanPastels, as there's not the dust with PanPastels. But Watercolor used to be my first choice, so I thought I needed to do more watercolor now, and I'd forgotten how much satisfaction I can get from a wet wash when it goes well....doesnt always go well though! But thats the challenge of watercolor isnt it.

I have always found watercolour as the hardest medium because it can be quite unforgiven. But the more you do the better you get at it like anything else. It’ll come back to you.🙂

Sanlynn, you really captured the rich colors on the house and land. Beautiful and full of life.

Ellen, oooohh, love your sunset. Absolutely beautiful colors.

Christine, aww, love the little dog. Perfect color and texture for the hair.

Jo and Vivien, I used Rosa Gallery paints for the colors of the sunset. Then the cliff was done with Sennelier "mummy brown" AKA #caput mortuum" because I hadn't used that particular color for an actual painting yet. And I was painting on Fuumuui 100% cotton paper, size 9X12. I really enjoy using this paper but it's new to me. It lifts amazingly easily and I like that because I'm enough of a newby to watercolor painting that being able to lift easily is a big plus in my mind, although I vaguely recall having read somewhere that ease of lifting might not be such a good trait in watercolor paper. I can't remember the reason why, though. It seems to me that the paper was much nicer to paint on than others I've tried.

Christine, I love that little dog's eyes. I'm a "dog person" and have had many over the years. Any painting of an animal or a person really comes to life when the eyes are painted and you captured the soul of this little dog beautifully.

Vivien, I found a wonderful Youtube artist called Paul Hopkinson and he does wonderful animal hair and feathers. I put the url here if you want to check out what he does. If this link doesn't take you there, let me know and I'll find one that works.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeVOEDKFVGoMb_sB3g1ye4A

Last edited:
Thank you Ellen and Jo!
Oh yes, the paper can make a big difference!
Thank you for that YouTube link, Ellen. I subscribed to it.👍🏻

I post my "Owl Momma with her Three Penguins" first and then come back to comment.
I guess the third penguin's face shows the state of anger 🤬 I was when working with gouache 🤣.
The reference photo is so cute 🥰 that I wish I could do something with this medium. Thanks PaintBoss!

The size is about 10x15 cm. Paper very thin. Gouache colors. I did drawing with pencil first, I could add it here too.
Do the others do a pencil drawing first and then paint over with gouache? With oils I would seal the drawing with retouching varnish spray but not obviously with water medium.

"Momma Owl with her Three Penguins":

IMG_20240912_142552.jpg

PaintBoss, hope you have recovered from the fall, I read earlier about what happened in the other post and felt terrified about it.
I like a lot your acrylic flower! To me it looks finished. In my opinion it's perfect this way without leaves. Unless you mentioned the one stem, I wouldn't notice but yes lack of it can be a problem. Does the lack of it really show?
If you add more highlights to the bottom flower keep in mind that it's lower located from the sky where viewer assumes light is and more in shadow. It can have less highlights. Too many highlights can not be good also 😊.
So, I would say no more leaves but maybe resolve somehow the stem .

Ams, awesome work! So nice to see different takes of this flower.

Kay, stunning work on the flowers!

Sanlynn, excellent work done on the house and rocks!

Christine, terrific work on that cute little dog! Just getting a range of tones in those "whites" must have been a challenge, or it would have been for me because I am too timid to attempt such a thing.

Moscatel, I must have missed the part about owls having penguin babies on the nature channel, but really, I see three very cute baby owls. You have their "owlness" looking good to my eyes and good for you for doing this in a medium you're not used to using.

Donna, thank you!
I must have missed the part about owls having penguin babies on the nature channel..
👍 😂
I'm just so frustrated with my owl painting skills. I appreciate your kind comment!

Thank you Donna and Moscatel.
Moscatel, thank you for joining us here and giving it a whirl! It’s always nice seeing you on a thread.🙂
Going from oil to water colour is a nightmare. I remember that well. All your instincts that work for oil just don’t work for watercolor. It took a lot longer for me to get proficient at watercolor. I can’t tell you how many paintings I ruined. Just can’t play with it like oils. It does have its magic, but it requires a lot of patience to learn. And when I’m moving along quickly, I use a hairdryer. It’s just a very unforgiving medium. There’s way you can pick colour off the paper if you screw up, to a degree. Although some pigments are staining, so it doesn’t matter what you do. You might have to touch up with the acrylic paint. But saving white space or planning for lighter places when you’re doing washes requires planning before hand. Frisket. So I really feel for you. Let me just say you drew the reference well.
I use watercolour both ways- in the very traditional way where you can do washes and such and build. Or I can apply it very thick without meaning to use washes which some people don’t realize you can do with watercolour. I think you’re painting stroke by stroke instead of letting some wash do the work for you. You don’t have to have these huge washes like you think of with big watery watercolours. But they are your friend for creating a background or the base of let’s say the fur / feathers/ tree trunk before you build up. Of course you have to think about if there’s white you need to save. You’re going stroke by stroke by stroke, which is going to be very frustrating. But I am so appreciative that you’re trying. You have the ability -I’ve seen from your work- to be very good at any medium. It’s just watercolour is the trickiest and it’s very opposite to what you know. So it’s not that you can’t do it. You just have to take time to learn the medium. Make the mistakes. You have to go against your instincts if you’ve been working with oil for a long time. And I can tell these are owls. They don’t look like penguins! 😋
Also, the paper you are using is so crappy that it would frustrate even a very strong watercolorist. And when it comes to watercolour the type of paper and the quality makes a huge difference. Even with watercolour papers whether it is hot press and cold press makes a huge difference. I don’t like hot press for instance. Also, the quality of watercolour paints really makes a difference. With the cheaper brand you just don’t have the pigment load. You’re trying to get impact and you’re not getting it. Switch to a more expensive kind and a little goes a long way. Well, I wouldn’t worry about that so much as using proper paper, so you do not get frustrated. You do not want the paper breaking down halfway through. That will make you really frustrated! Been there, done that! You have to play with watercolour -there’s lots of videos and things we can tell you to do to see the wonderful nature of this medium. The difference is so big the 2 mediums that it’s almost like me going into an oil painting class and trying to mix the oil with water to make a wash. You just can’t do it!
I hope you will continue to explore this medium. It has many attributes.👏🙂

Thank you Moscatel in regards to my fall. Three days afterwards, I ended up going to the emergency room because I hadn’t slept in three nights because I just couldn’t breathe and none of my asthma meds were working. And my hip was pretty messed up. Well, luckily the hip is OK on x-ray. It’s just all muscular, still struggling with it. And the breathing was because of the fall. Everything was so inflamed and swollen inside that it was pressing in on the lungs. All the meds are making me have a lot of vertigo. So I’ve done some artwork in the meantime, which I’m pretty pleased with even if they’re not perfect. I’m just proud that I got anything done. So it’s just going be a slow recovery with the hip I think most of all.

PaintBoss, thank goodness you found the cause for not being able to breathe. Asthma can be tricky, talking with experience here. I'm surprised how much the fall affected to many parts of your body.
I always start my gouache practices but the moment the work starts going wrong I begin missing oils. 😂 My goodness how I'd like to make an oil painting of that Momma Owl photo ref.

Back