Scribble, Spray, Scratch and repeat

Donna, like Rich I don't usually go for abstracts (except for landscape abstracts, which are really at least partially representational.) This one is very attractive!
I have a question to you about Neocolor 2, since I'm considering getting a set. Can't decide between a 15 or 30 crayon set. Real issue for me is whether you need more colors (a la pastels) or they can mix a full range from primaries (like watercolor or acrylic, etc.) Can you let me know your experience, please?

Hi Bart - I'd go for the set of 30 if you can. It's nice to have those extra colors so you aren't obligated to try to mix from primaries. Since you may use them for plein air work I'd think that saving a little time might be good. I don't think I'd count on them for mixing a full range of colors - watercolor or acrylic are probably better suited for that. The extra colors come in handy when you want to add pops of color on top without dissolving them with water. I got a set of 40 and have used most all of them.

I absolutely agree with Donna on this, Bart. These crayons (similar to oil pastels in handling, just water based) do blend, but not as easily as swirling a brush in a liquid medium like watercolor or acrylic paints. With more colors you won't have to think about it much beyond a bit of finger blending here and there, much easier since you do a lot of plein air. How much water you add to them at the end will probably vary a lot between paintings, and you may find areas you leave as marked without water.

Back