Scribble, Spray, Scratch and repeat

Donna T

I found a blog post by abstract artist Jane Davies where she talks about scribbling and making marks when she's frustrated with her work. I'm able to scribble so I gave it a shot. Spraying water on the scribbles made with NeoColor II crayons created watercolor effects and covering passages with tinted gesso and scratching back into them helped to build some texture. I imagine it would be a lot of fun to try this on a much bigger scale. 7x9 on watercolor paper with NeoColor II crayons, gesso, fluid acrylics.

IMG_3314pscs.jpg

This turned out beautifully, Donna! Even when you explain your process, I find myself thinking, "I just don't know how she does it!" And I mean that in the best of ways. ❤️

I found a blog post by abstract artist Jane Davies where she talks about scribbling and making marks when she's frustrated with her work. I'm able to scribble so I gave it a shot. Spraying water on the scribbles made with NeoColor II crayons created watercolor effects and covering passages with tinted gesso and scratching back into them helped to build some texture. I imagine it would be a lot of fun to try this on a much bigger scale. 7x9 on watercolor paper with NeoColor II crayons, gesso, fluid acrylics.

View attachment 25661

I think it's aesthetically pleasing, but I do prefer more structure in my favorites! But there is certainly an audience for work like this.

I LOVE this! You are so friggin' creative - I adore your work. Thank you for explaining the process, I am often frustrated .... and I can scribble too!:ROFLMAO:

Terri - Thanks. I never really know what I'm doing or where I'm going.

Captainnumber 36 - thanks for the comment. More structure, less structure ... it's nice to have options.

CaliAnn - Thanks so much. When in doubt - scribble!

Wayne - thank you. I hope those colors are having a nice conversation and not screaming at each other.

Zen - thanks - I was hoping to get some kind of depth or atmosphere.

Cool, and certainly got depth and atmosphere. In real life it must look even better. Hard to show texture like that in a photo. Fun to build up layers. I just recently was thinking of layering over succesive thick applications of clear poured acrylic layers?

Brava, Donna! I love this painting and the effects you've achieved, especially in the areas with lots of white. It's amazing how much it resembles a somewhat bigger painting in alkyds I am busy finishing off now and will be posting in a few days. In it I tried very hard to get that effect of veiled white over underpainting you got in the lower left quarter. Even your beautiful red and orange area near the centre of your painting is similar to parts of mine that took me days and numerous glazes to get the look I wanted.

Wow, this is so beautiful! What amazing results you get when you experiment. I wish I could be so lucky. But for you, it's not luck. It's sheer talent. ♥️

John, I imagine that you'd get some interesting effects if you layered over poured acrylic layers - or even sanded or scraped some of the layers back. I hope we get to see the results! Thank you.

Thanks Jessie.

Hermes, thank you and I can't wait to see what you've been working on! The veiled white area is just gesso applied with a damp paper towel. For whatever reason, I feel the need to build up thin layers with this kind of work - maybe because there is no predetermined subject or clear path to follow to get to it. When I wander aimlessly for awhile something eventually emerges.

Ayin, thanks but I'm not sure there's much talent involved. It's just trying to find something I can do while I cope with a bunch of health problems.

Last edited:
Hermes, thank you and I can't wait to see what you've been working on! The veiled white area is just gesso applied with a damp paper towel. For whatever reason, I feel the need to build up thin layers with this kind of work - maybe because there is no predetermined subject or clear path to follow to get to it. When I wander aimlessly for awhile something eventually emerges.
I will certainly show it here when it is done. I use oils and alkyds, so don't know whether I could apply gesso the way you do to get that effect. I use one of these 290mm plastering trowels to use as a palette knife on steroids to get my version of the veiled effect!

Trowel.jpg

Oh wow! Using a trowel like that must be amazing! What a great tool to use when working BIG!

View attachment 25661
Great experiment. Very appealing structure.

Sorry I'm late to the party, but I usually don't care for abstracts. But I I love this picture! It's telling me a story about a young Chinese boy (red robes) on a quest to find [whatever the ball in the upper right is], and right now he's facing pretty big problems that he has to overcome.
YSMV. (Your Story May Vary 😉)

--Rich

Back