Scavenger Hunt from Life #93: Nov 27 – Dec 6

EP, so good to see your sketches again. I like these of the tongs...both open and closed. Nice collection!

EP: Thanks... Great job with the sketches and wonderful narrow and wide... so clever.

Joan - Beautiful work on the shells and sand.

EP - Am with the crowd. Happy to see your sketches. Great job on multiple versions of the tongs.

Ornament subbed a decoration. Snowman. Played with various brushes in Procreate.

IMG_2162.jpeg

Keep sketching
Fletch

Fletch, thanks. Cute Christmas decoration done with Procreate. I haven't had much luck with the brushes yet. They seem to be hard to control for me.

10 - seasonal (changing leaves) - direct watercolor
11 - narrow branches
12 - outdoor item (fence)

IMG_4124.jpeg

Digi sketch (mobile phone) of some plants at our foodshop --note the background was concrete floor image...

#2 wide
#3 narrow

20231201_133751.jpg

Joan: Gorgeous shells and the fall season home.

Fletch: Super cute snowman in digi.

Thanks, Fletch. I have drawn with the pen for years so is my favorite ... once and done. Love your snowman. So cute. Looks soft.

Joan, wow, the aquarium sketches are so fine. Love the octopus and sharks. All are super. The sea shells are so lovely, too. Your sketch of the house and fence is very welcoming.

eyepaint, so pleased to see your "snapshots" of items. They remind me of little photos capturing time. Good finds for the items. Love the knife and stool. But all are fun to see.

Ai, clever find on the leaves and fun background idea.

Maybe I'll sketch today. Life interfered. All good now, but been busy.

Hi Ned and everyone.
Robin and Pine Cone, thinking of you.

Joan - Nice rendition of a home in autumn.

Ai - Your digi of plants is neat. Cool job on the concrete!

Jo - snowman is not very soft. It is actually a metal can filled with truffles.
IMG_2173.jpeg

Be back later with a sketch 🤞🏽

Keep sketching
Fletch

All — Oh my goodness!!! I'll be back to comment on all the fantastic work 😃😂

but for now...

Joan — Had to laugh when I glanced and read you saying you "haven't had much luck with the brushes yet." You don't need luck - you are an inspiration with your absolutely fantastic Procreate work!!!

All – As mentioned, I recently lost Procreate (my fault) and was discouraged by that (and by the difficulties of homeless life). But I remembered that for ages I've had a program called "Infinite Painter". I'm trying it right now, just for fun, and, like Procreate, have already paid the ultra-reasonable price for the app.

Back soon, I hope 👋

Ai, I like your digital leaves. I haven't figured out anything with digital backgrounds yet. Thanks.

Jo, thanks. Yes, life interferes sometimes.

Jo - snowman is not very soft. It is actually a metal can filled with truffles.
Fletch...now that is my kind of snowman. lol Thanks for your comment.

Pine Cone, thanks. The brushes in Procreate seem to have a mind of their own. They don't like to stay inside what I'm trying to paint so I end up switching and using something else. lol I hope the "Infinite Painter" is a success.

I saw a list of prompts that Urban Sketchers put on Instagram for something they are calling the "24 Days of Sketchmas." It reminds me of a scavenger hunt...but more specific. It didn't come with any instructions that I saw. They have 24 items and it doesn't specify that they have to be done in order, so I probably will do some of them out of order. Also since it is Urban Sketching they will have to be done

from life.
Screenshot 2023-12-01 at 10.24.46 AM.png
Some items are really one-shot chances. I'll post it just in case someone is interested in participating.

I did the first prompt which is a market stall. Some items fit here.

12 - hanging Christmas wreaths - watercolors and ink
13 - wide lattice panel

IMG_4127.jpeg

Pine Cone - Will be watching. Your talent will come thru regardless of the app used.

Joan -Just looking at all that detail I would pass on trying to paint anything like your Stall. Am in awe you are even willing to undertake it nevermind you render it so well.Great job!

#2 Fist used a couple of different charcoal type brushes experimenting more with Procreate.

IMG_2163.jpeg

Keep sketching
Fletch

First, from event #92.....

All — I'm sorry I didn't fully comment on the fantastic sketches you guys did for event #92. I've revisited many times to look and learn from your efforts. I hope to get back on track with comments eventually... But for now...

Joe/Fletch and Ned and JoC — Thank you for your prayers and positive energy, and for your encouragement towards art. Your kindness and good wishes are felt, and real, and are genuinely helping me. Thank you so much!!! 😌

Last edited:
Ai - Thanks for this inspiring list! 😊 Super fun sketches for "parabola"!!! I had to look it up to be sure too 🤣 Lovely plant sketches, and fun background to paint them on!

JoC — You've been drawing such good views of your hand lately! Lovely work! 👏 Thank you for thinking of me, and for your kindness 💛

Joan — Happy belated B-day!!! 🎉🥳 LUV the octupus ZOWIE!!! 😍 Ooo, the octupus is peering out at you, wondering how on earth you can do such a cool sketch on that weird gizmo thing 😂 and fantastic aquarium (you found Nemo 😁) and good grief, a shark tank, oh dear 😅 Fantastic work!!! But as I scrolled down, the scene you offered with the group of seashells is what really touched my heart, made me sigh, as I felt a sense of serenity from their beauty, thinking of their lives and journeys, marveling at your sensitive portrayal of their colors and miraculous shapes. Thank you for sharing all of these scenes 😍🎨

EP — So good to see your sketches again!!! ☀️ Love your various items, and the bonus views of the tongs, so well done!!!

Joe/Fletch — Fun snowman/snowperson 😍😇 Love the shy smile and cheerful face ☺️ I agree with JoC that it looks soft and gentle. Even looking at the photo, I can't believe it's metal LOL.
Thanks for your continuing encouragement 🙏😅
Love your hand sketch, and the background paper is an excellent choice in both sketches! Maybe for any lurkers, it may help to note that if app sketching doesn't feel as real to you, at first, adding a familiar sketching background like this can help ease your heart.....

Joan again — Another lovely autumn scene with even the branches watching the sky, leaning into the coming winter, getting ready..... you caught the feeling of anticipation that can be felt all around as the season changes.....
Thanks for the "Sketchmas" list - very cool 😎
I'm with Joe/Fletch. I wouldn't dare try to draw that scene 😳 I'd be intimidated by all the intricate detail that you captured so well. You're fearless! Fantastic market stall sketch!!!

Thank you, Ai, for this list. I am impressed by your parabolas. I often find parabolic shapes difficult to render, but you made it look easy.

Jo Castillo, I was struck by the confidence of the line in the drawings of your hands. You captured the contours with minimal and deliberate hatching; I tend to do too much hatching, or get impatient and just start scribbling until you can't tell what's what. Well done.

Joan T, really lovely shells! And your sharks are wonderful; great expressions for animals that are said to have dead eyes. You really brought them to life.

eyepaint, your drawing style is so distinctive, I really enjoy your compositions.

jmfletch, fantastic fist! The subtle highlights are just right.

Here are my first attempts. I tried yesterday, but they were all disasters that ended up in the trash. Today was a little better. All were done on small yellow legal pad, that I keep at my desk to take notes when I'm on the phone. Sharpie gel pen 0.5

1. Fist
2. Stool
3. Fork from the kitchen
4. Cup

20231201_145402.jpg
20231201_150009.jpg
20231201_151037.jpg
20231201_154929.jpg

Fletch, you are doing well with the brushes in Procreate! I need to play around with them and see how they work. Hope I can do as well as you did.

Pine Cone, your comments really made me smile. Thank you...and the octopus thanks you. lol I like complex scenes like the stall. I like squeezing in all the details. Looks like quite a few of us needed to check out the exact meaning of parabola.

Sculptcha, I love your sketches. They have such freedom and energy. I'm glad you saved these from the trash...what a waste that would have been. I hope we get to see more from you.

Sculptcha — Very nice sketches, lots of contrast and definition, perfect ellipses, shapes... Excellent perception!!! Thanks for posting ☀️

All — Well, about Infinite Painter, kind of a good news, bad news evening from my perspective. Seems to be a fantastic program, with lots of excellent features and brushes. A lot of work positively had to have gone into it the making and evolution of this app. And their User Guide is incredible. Superb. I would truly love to make this my primary art app. But that won't happen. The way the Gallery (where all your work is saved) is designed has clearly had a lot of thought and work put into it. However, it is so severely flawed (***from my perspective***) that it would be totally unusable, for me. I think that for most people though, it would be fine. So don't let my comment stop you. All those great brushes, great interface, great User Guide..... but me, I'm stopped in my tracks by a dealbreaker Gallery Design. Their concept absolutely does NOT work for me. I'm so disappointed. And they put enough work into designing it the way they did that I'm sure they won't be overhauling their concept any time soon. FWIW, I managed to design a workaround, but it's so awkward to get past the stuff that they do (probably to protect users), and the extra crap that would be hidden behind other stuff, that I just can't make myself go forward with the app.

I do have ProCreate back though. I miss Corel Painter. I miss having a life.

I went out to sketch a cluster of old Victorian home today before their demolition.--pencil+watercolor
#4 man-made

20231202_124605.jpg
20231202_122759.jpg

Fletch, The can is so cute. I'm liking the idea of truffles! Your fist sketch is amazing, looks like charcoal!

Pine Cone, I have several paint programs on my phone, I understand how you/we get partial to one or the other. Happy you can still use your Procreate now. Take care, thinking of you with prayers and cariño. No real translation to English but sort of love with a hug. Always happy to read your comments. Thinking and praying. :love:

Joan, fun idea from the Urban Sketchers. What a great and colorful farm stand! You have a great eye.

Sculptcha, thanks for joining in. I love your thorough hatching! The five legs on the stool is great perspective. I collect virtual cups so thanks for a new one.

Ai, there you go again, finding history and sharing your world with us. Love the houses.

I bought this bag at our H-E-B grocery store in October around All Souls Day and Halloween but didn't get it sketched. Its about 18 x 24 x 6 inches for groceries. Sketched in the Ohuhu book with Pentel marker pens. Not a good yellow or pink as usual.

csshfl93bag.jpg

bag-photo.jpg

Joan and octopus 🐙 — LOL, thanks 😁

Ai — Your sketch of the homes is incredible!!! In your sketch, I love the sensitive colors and feeling of friendly cooperation through the whole scene 😍 I was sad to read of their fate 🙏

JoC — You did a portrait of me! 💀😂 Just kidding 😇 Fun sack and brave drawing of an intricate and scary subject 🔆 complete with the butterfly 🦋👐
Thank you so very much for your kind words and prayers and love and cariño... and I feel cariño for you as well. I've never forgotten that word since you first shared it with me, and I especially love your description today... "love with a hug".
❤️💙❤️‍🩹💙❤️

All — About the Infinite Painter app, I'm working on an attitude adjustment. I delved deeper into their excellent User Guide, and found a simple way to sort of turn off part of the problem I have with their Gallery saving system. And my workaround should solve the rest to a sufficient degree to go forward. That, along with a continuous attitude adjustment may give me the chance to learn the app and enjoy it.

All — My Procreate sketches since leaving for three+ years have been dismal in comparison to before (I just went through some old pics), but I'm trying to give myself some forgiveness and cut myself some slack, given what I've been through, and what I'm still going through. I may never be able to rise above my situation or forget the attacks and hatred that led to this day, and continue now, but if I can keep sketching a little here and there, and keep working on accepting my emotions and dealing with them in real time, then my daily life will not be wasted. JoC, words like yours are helping me to do these things, and start each morning fresh.

Back