Scavenger Hunt from Life #89: Oct 25 - Nov 2

Ai, what an unusual look for a temple. Nice work! What a scary bear!!!

Jo, fun sketch of the candy corn. I like it but since it is all sugar I can only eat a few.

Paul, thus so much.

Fletch, thanks. I’m bad at taking photos. I’ll finish a sketch and leave and then think to myself that I should have taken photos. Here are two of the Basillica. One is the view I was sketching and the other is an outside view. I got really upset when I passed by when we got here because there was this big Jumbotron advertisement outside! Then I took a closer look and realized the Basillica was having renovations done outside and it is wrapped to cover the scaffolding. The advertisement is apparently for the company financing the renovations.
IMG_3816.jpeg
IMG_3782.jpeg

I’m also posting a photo of one of the vaporetti that I keep mentioning. The #2 is the express vaporetto. I usually take the #1 which is the local and makes more stops that slow it down.
IMG_3804.jpeg

Your feathers in the dreamcatcher look great! Lol I forget to press Post reply often. I think the words get hidden as we compose our posts.

Attachments

• 1698346590714.png
    1698346590714.png
    174.3 KB · Views: 14

Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts from Life.
The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.

If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:
https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/

Here are the rules for the Hunt:
*All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the listless, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
*Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
*Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.
*Have fun!
*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required!

Pumpkin
Skeleton (any Halloween decorations)
Flower
Fruit or Veggie
Fall Leaf
Wood
Rock
Water
Fur
Child
Feather
Metal
Paper
Cloth
Brick
Pen
Pencil sharpener
Brush
kitchen item
Bathroom item
Living Room item
Outdoor item
Vehicle
Toy
Money
Animal

Challenge:
1 Do one of the items using a media you keep saying you are going to try but haven’t yet gotten around too
2 Try an item or two in blind contour

Keep sketching
Fletch
I like the idea of blind contour. Will see how I go.

Paul - Like how you used washes to make the feathers look soft on the dream catcher. Nice work on the fireplace. Love how you captured the fire.

Jo - No procrastinating today! “play in the dust” means we are all waiting to see a pastel. True most of the time either the computer saves the comments I wrote then in a note app and did not erase them but nothing is perfect. Sometimes they still just poof!

Joan - Thank you for the photos and the happy unicorn. Appreciate you sharing your trip with us especially since as an artist you go to and paint places and things we would if we went. 😎 👍🏽

JennieJo - Go for it! Mine are usually so far off that the fun is in people trying to figure out what it was I drew 😂

Ai - neat use of your proctor time! Nice perspective!

Joe1, Pine Cone and Kay D 👋🏽👋🏽👋🏽

Keep sketching
Fletch

Ai, so nice when you sketch your students. You capture the studious mood so well. Very serious.

Paul, beautiful fire in the fireplace and good on the bricks!!

joe1lt, thanks.

Fletch, didn't make it to the dust but had to have some color.

Numbers 2 fruit, 3cloth, 4 brick In the large Canson mix media sketchbook with a Micron 03 and watercolors and white Gelly Roll pen. On the window sill on the porch. We are supposed to have a cold front next week so enjoying the porch while we can.

csshfl89fruit.jpg

Thank you all for kind words.

Paul: Fabulous on the fireplace... spectacular on all flames, brick, and the glass panels.

Jo: So gorgeous lovely brick-fruit-cloth combo. Your colors give warmth to my heart as much as fireplace from Paul's.

Joan: Thank you for the nice info. of the express vaporetto boat. We did not know that last time. Hope, we get to hop on No.2 next time...praying if we can go there again.

Jo: Thanks.... nice work on the pairs, cloth and bricks. I particularly like the pattern on the cloth well done
Joan: Thanks.... like your texture on the building and wood doors well done.
Fletch and Joe1lt: Thanks
Ai: Thanks.... love your students in the classroom sketches

Jennie-Jo, go for it!

Ai, great student sketches!

Paul, I love that toast-looking fireplace.

Joe 1, grazie!

Fletch, glad you are enjoying taking the trip with me.

Jo, love the way you did the pattern on the bandana. Cool sketch.

We had some heavy rain last night and early this morning so things were really wet when I first went out to sketch today. Luckily I came across a little cafe with an outside table with a nice view. I had a place to sit, a table to paint on, a place to put my backpack and supplies, and a nice waitress to bring me a cappuccino.

9 - metal handrail and window covering - watercolors and ink

IMG_3883.jpeg

Paul, cute sketch of the neighbor’s dog!

Ai, thank you.

Paul, thanks. I've Joan to thank for the use of Gelly Roll pens for white highlights in watercolor. I love Lulu. Our daughter has two Shih Tzu doggies and you captured the look for sure.

Joan, fantastic that you got a sketch in such a neat place. The detail like on the railing is amazing.

I sketched on the porch (starting Monday it will probably bee too cool out there in the mornings).
Number 5 toy - a sequined seal. Done in the Canson mix media sketchbook that was a little wrinkled, maybe from the watercolor yesterday. I used the Piochoo & Wexford dual tipped pens and Gelly Roll for the white highlights. Need to practice sequins ... or not!!! Also used for sparkle for Inktober.

shfl89sparlke-ink28.jpg

toy-sparkle700.jpg

Jo - Great work on the bandana design but also like the shading and use of line quality. Cute sequined seal. Nice double use!

Paul - Nicely done sketchbook of Lulu. Do we get to see a photo?

Joan - Beautiful. Thanks the art muses must favor you because if that was me the view would have been of a blank wall.

All you belly roll users. How do keep the ink flowing in those things? Best I can get is intermittent ink when I can get one to work at all.

Working on watercolor landscapes hoping to get one good enough to use as a Christmas card. That is my excuse for not posting. Might try for a Procreate sketch tomorrow for Pine Cone but no promises (unlike someone promising to play in the dust and getting our hopes up).

Keep sketching
Fletch

Thanks, Fletch. As far as the Gelly Roll goes I find that the watercolor has to be very dry. If you make a mark and try to go over it, it picks up the color under that has been wet. Each stroke has to dry before you go again. It was the same with the ink. So for me, Miss Patience, it is another step in watercolor of waiting for paint to dry! It is easier than getting out the gouache though. So love pastels even more. Ha.

Hi Pine Cone.

Jo, I love the idea of a seal with sequins!

Fletch, I never met a wall I didn’t like. Lol Jo is right about the gelly pens. What you are writing on has to be bone dry. This only white ones that work for me are the Signo Uniballs and they can be temperamental too. We’ll be waiting for that Procreate sketch.

10- feather - Procreate
IMG_0075.jpeg

My problem with gelly roll pens is the ink seems to dry up before you ever even use them. Am sure you are both right but they work intermittently for me on perfectly dry paper and often cannot get them to write at all. had that problem with class I was taking. Solution then was I shifted to uni-POSCA markers but now have a collection of about 1/2 dozen white gelly roll pens what I have stored upright with great hopes.

Speaking of great hopes, I had great hopes for this digital feather.🤣😂 The most positive thing I can say about this feather Is I kept my promise to Pine Cone.😎

#1 feather An eagle feather that someday I hope to paint. Multiple brushes in Procreate.

IMG_2081.jpeg

Keep sketching
Fletch

P.S. It looks to be floating as I totally forgot to add shadows.

Back