Scavenger Hunt from Life #89: Oct 25 - Nov 2

Fletch, I love your feather. Great shading and highlights. I will have to study how you did it.

Joan, love your feather, it looks like charcoal. Very nice. I like the different style on the living room items. Nice work!

Fletch, your feather looks real, wow. Nice digi work for both of you. I'm impressed.

I sketched in the big Canson mix media with the Ohuhu pens, different sizes including brush for the shadows.
Number 6, wood - out back cross posted to Inktober Day 29 for massive. The Loblolly pines are massive.

csshfl89wood-ink29.jpg

I did a few today. They're all in a 19 x 19 cm Seawhite sketchbook, using a superfine Unipin pen or HB pencil.

1: Autumn leaves - our paperbark maple dropped all its leaves this week.

2: Squash (sub'd for pumpkin) - one we grew in the garden, to be made into soup next week
20231029_224226.jpg

3: Cloth: old dishcloth. 4: Brush - pastry brush. Didn't spend much time on these two as I was cooking tea at the time.

20231029_224153.jpg

I hope to be back with a blind contour drawing or two.

Kay D, love the quick sketches. The top of the squash is so free and lovely. The pastry brush sings to me.

More proctoring exam today
#10 more fur or hair
#11 fabric or cloth ..one student wearing a fabric mask
#12 sub. skeleton with a Halloween witch at a teashop kios

20231030_095644.jpg

20231030_095635.jpg

20231029_101125.jpg

Last edited:
Joan: Thanks... Great detail on the handrail nice work on the digi and very well done feather

Jo: Great job on the toy looks like he is about to jump off the page great depth and nice use of the white gelly roll pen. Love the trees, nice!

Fletch: Thanks... Wow you are getting quite proficient with digital art making well done. Don't have a picture of Lulu but she lives across the street so I will grab when I see her next and post here

Triduana: Great collection of sketches but I particularly like the ink work on the squash, now you get to eat it!

Ai: Great people sketches. Your people sketches have improved immensely since you started focusing on them well done again

Ai, you always do so well sketching the students at exam time. I like the Halloween sketch too.

Jo, colorful end caps on the pens.

I love all these colourful scenes and people! Such great sketching everyone.

And thank you for the comments on mine. 🙂

5: Kitchen item - it's a blind contour drawing, or almost is - I held the pen wrong and my line kept vanishing, so I went over it when I'd finished, and lost my continuous line. Anyhow, I quite like it.

20231030_200211.jpg

And here's the actual item:

20231030_201238.jpg

Jennie-Jo, go for it!

Ai, great student sketches!

Paul, I love that toast-looking fireplace.

Joe 1, grazie!

Fletch, glad you are enjoying taking the trip with me.

Jo, love the way you did the pattern on the bandana. Cool sketch.

We had some heavy rain last night and early this morning so things were really wet when I first went out to sketch today. Luckily I came across a little cafe with an outside table with a nice view. I had a place to sit, a table to paint on, a place to put my backpack and supplies, and a nice waitress to bring me a cappuccino.

9 - metal handrail and window covering - watercolors and ink

View attachment 35686

Paul, cute sketch of the neighbor’s dog!
Doing, and sharing .... 2 totally different things 😄

Not sure how I got a page behind but you all are talented and prolific artists.

Joan - Love the feather which looks more like charcoal than digital. Digital furniture is cool. Noticed you used shades of colors for shadows, is that a wc carryover technique? Thanks for kind words on my feather. Great graphite work on baby and vehicles.

Jo - Like your choice for massive. Like the shadow work with the brush makes it pop. Do we get a review with the Zig pen rendering?

Looks like you two had a good time in San Anton.

Kay D - Love the squash. Also the shading on the brush. Great blind contour. 👍🏽 Cool set of measuring cups.

Ai - Great you have so many models. Your people keep getting better and better. Cool witch.

Paul - Sorry. Assumed lulu was yours as you drew it so well.

Joe1 - Your digital look like graphite. Great job!

JennieJo - There is still time for both!

Keep sketching
Fletch

Joe/Fletch — Got misty-eyed seeing your feather. Thank you for drawing that beautiful feather for me 🙏 It means so much... things look to be getting suddenly even worse here as the forces that destroyed my life are ratcheting up the hatred. And I'm alone in life and undefended. But I keep trying. But it's as if they sense when I begin to get my feet back under me, and deal another blow... BUT to me, a beautiful feather like you drew represents the lightness and gentleness of a loving soul... so you have given me gentle, light-hearted compassion when I most needed it... there aren't enough words to thank you... but thank you Joe/Fletch, for everything today, and all down the years 🙏

All — Don't know what is next for me - hope to comment and sketch, but realistically probably won't be able to. Luv you all 😍

Ha, Joan. Fun to see the photos. We stand out in the crowd. Heh, heh. Thanks for the memories. Happy Halloween! Your child sketch is so sweet.

Kay D, your measuring cups did come out so nice. Lovely lines..... Makes me want to try. Thanks.

joe1lt, love your Halloween and animal. Eeyore is always a hit!

JennieJo, I know the feeling. We are here when you are inspired.

Fletch, thank you. Zig were my first sketching pens other than ball point pens and real pens with nibs and India ink. I like them a lot and they seem to last longer, ink and nibs. I can't get them locally without ordering so have been using Micron. They are very similar. The Prismacolor pens are similar, too. I like the Acurit I got at Jerry's Artarama as well, cheaper. I have only had 05 Zigs so maybe that is why the nibs last longer -- a bit thicker line so bigger nib. Anyhoo....Pleased to talk "stuff".

Pine Cone, hope you can keep commenting and sketching. I sent you a private message. Hugs.

Pine Cone - Our thoughts and prayers are eith you as well as wishes you keep sketching.

Jo -An electric fireplace is definitely different.

Keep sketching
Fletch

All — Still able to comment, and trying to maintain inner calm as I await potential knowledge of how I will survive the terrible winter to come. Commenting has always been a joy for me here in the midst of such kindness, inspiration, color, and simple glimpses of the vibrant beauty of life all over the world...
..... So here are a few comments on page 1 of this event - will try to come back later to comment on the rest.....

Ai — Oh so yummy yummy yummy - oh, for a hot chocolate, look at it, so delicious I can taste it 😋Every bit of food you draw looks delectable, and like a miracle too, because as others have said, how can you be painting with something so mouth-watering delicious, *right there* LOL?
Amazing temple - looks like it is smiling - or maybe it's a toucan that's upside down 🙂🙃 Fun!
Scary bear, great sketch!

Joan — On the first page of this event, it goes without saying that I love all of your paintings and sketches. But I was especially impressed with the beauty, intricacy, and delicacy of your #1. I want to explore from one rooftop to the next, the tiles and plants and windows and background - Wow!!!
I love that you can go back-and-forth from non-virtual watercolor, to ProCreate (luv the turtle!), and back again, while still maintaining color and beauty ☺️
I was laughing along with JoC about your search for a brick 😆

JoC — Oh dear, more irresistible food - I wish I could stay away from candy corn LOL - love the stuff, and love how you painted it 😁 I'm going into sugar shock just looking at it 😍

Paul — Cool dreamcatcher, whispering dreams in the breeze! Love the serene colors and the whole idea and sketch of your dream catcher 🎨

Hi all...yes, we are finally back home in NY. We got home about 11PM after a long, long day of traveling. It was a good trip for both of us. Jerry got a lot accomplished with his music and I did a lot of sketches. I just wish he was physically able to get around better. Being away gave me quiet time in the evenings when I got to play with Procreate. Home there seem to be too many distractions because the TV programs are in English. lol

Kay, somehow I missed commenting on your continuous line drawing of the measuring cups. I love it! I haven't done one in a while.

Fletch, thanks for your comments. I'm still trying to figure out how to do shading on Procreate. It involves a lot of experimenting for the best way to get the results I'm thinking of in my mind. lol It most definitely isn't easy. Now I really appreciate the work that people do in digital sketching.

Pine Cone, I appreciate your comments about my posts. It was fun to play a little with Procreate. I didn't bring along a sketchbook to use for small sketches for hunt items so I thought doing some of them in Procreate would be a nice way to do them...but it takes a lot of trial and error to get what I want. Wishing you all the best going forward. You know we love you and will be happy to see you any time you can drop in or need someone to talk to.

Jo, thanks you. Your fireplace is great! I can almost feel the warmth of it...and could use it on this damp, chilly NY day.

12 - fruit - Procreate
13 - fall leaf - Procreate

IMG_0080.jpeg

Back