Scavenger Hunt from Life #89: Oct 25 - Nov 2

jmfletch

Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts from Life.
The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.

If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:
https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/

Here are the rules for the Hunt:
*All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the listless, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
*Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
*Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.
*Have fun!
*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required!

Pumpkin
Skeleton (any Halloween decorations)
Flower
Fruit or Veggie
Fall Leaf
Wood
Rock
Water
Fur
Child
Feather
Metal
Paper
Cloth
Brick
Pen
Pencil sharpener
Brush
kitchen item
Bathroom item
Living Room item
Outdoor item
Vehicle
Toy
Money
Animal

Challenge:
1 Do one of the items using a media you keep saying you are going to try but haven’t yet gotten around too
2 Try an item or two in blind contour

Keep sketching
Fletch

Fletch, thanks for the new list. Looks interesting, some thinking, but not too much. New media.... huh, will have to think on that. I stick with what I know as I am lazy and a procrastinator.

Fletch — Thanks for a cool list 😎 I'm hoping to get back on track and do at least one sketch this time 🙏 May I do an association as a challenge?

This is an exam week, I can take a longer lunch break into the City. I went to a Japanese style bakery and cafe in one of the old parts of Bangkok.

#1 Outdoor item -- old shop houses
#2 sub. water with hot chocolate
#3 metal spoon
#4 wood ...a tray of cresants
#5 sub. kitchen item with bakery item ...a walnut+almond brioche

1000021873.jpg

1000021871.jpg

1000021864.jpg

1000021862.jpg

1000021860.jpg

1000021852.jpg

I bought several pieces of bakery from my fav. Japanese style bakery shop to home for more sketching...

All done with kiddo's poster paints on cardboard box paper.

#5 sub. a brick with a choccolate roll brioche
1000021885.jpg

#6 fruit or veggie
a) tomato brioche
b) tangerine

1000021884.jpg

1000021886.jpg

Fletch, thanks for the new list…wonder if I can find a brick anywhere…LOL

Ai, your bakery treats look so delicious!

1 - outdoor items - watercolors and ink

IMG_3821.jpeg

2 - cloth hanging in the Basilica Di Santa Maria Della Salute - watercolors, watercolor pencils & ink (Yesterday was a rainy day and was perfect to sketch inside the church.)

IMG_3823.jpeg

3 - kitchen items - watercolors and ink

IMG_3825.jpeg

Joan: Thanks... Awesome Venice scenes. Love the view inside Santa Maria della Salute. Beautiful bricks and flower shop.

Ai, the restaurant in Yelp was the Ostaria Antico Dolo. That is the one that Joan painted. Probability of us all going is low but is fun to imagine.

I am meeting a friend super early in the center of Bangkok...I got there early and nearby there is an interesting shape temple...

#6 sub. a vehicle with a boat ....here is the boat theme Thai temple called Yanawa Temple...it is under heavy renovation though

1000021892.jpg

1000021891.jpg

Ai, you have been super busy and artful. Love the old shop houses, tells a story. Mmmm on the hot chocolate and broche. Love the technique on that sketch. I like croissants so much and I smell them from your sketch, so good. I forgot to look at the tray until I saw it on your list. Ha. Oh my can't look anymore and we just had dinner and now I'm hunting dessert. Amazing food. I almost forgot to say, such a cool boat and temple.

Joan, you made me laugh about hunting a brick. The tile rooftop sketch is so nice and fun to see. Beautiful in the church. Nice a new mug for me and more food. Yummmm. I like the blue rimmed plate. Your bricks and flowers are so special. I missed the turtle in digi, so cute.

We picked up a prescription for Gene and I thought to look for some candy corn for him. I usually don't eat it but I had to eat my models! Pretty good since I hadn't had any in years. This was "harvest" type so it had some pumpkins in the mix.
Number 1 pumpkin - candy corn done with the Piochoo and Wexford dual tip pens in the large Canson book with other small sketches on the page.
csshfl89pumpkin.jpg

Jo - Procrastinating can be a lot of work.

Pine Cone - I love associations. Normally make that a challenge but changed up this time.

Ai - Still do not understand how you do not weight 200 lbs. Both your paintings and the photos look yummy and fattening. Also you are trying a new medium but did not take credit for the challenge.

Joan - The skyline painting really caught my eye. Love it. Do you have more of the Basilica? It looks beautiful. Wanted to turn and look around. The food, the flower shop, the brick are all typical Joan…Excellent.

Did it again wrote comments yesterday and never hit send…🙈

Joan - Cute turtle digi 👍🏽

Ai - | love the boat temple. Old school boat with eyes on the bow. Glad you used artistic license and left out the construction. The bear drawing is awesome!

Jo - yum. Wanted to lift off the page and nibble.

Keep sketching
Fletch

Ai, love the fire-bear. You have such interesting things to sketch. Good job.

Hi Paul, you posted your dream catcher while I posted. I like that. Nice work.

Joe, thank you. I'm happy that my comments stay on my computer even if I don't hit send. They used to go into space.... Hope to play in the dust today. We don't do pumpkins outside right now. Still hot enough in the daytime to cook them. Ha. I did see those downtown, most people put out plastic or metal decorations. Our neighbor makes a cemetery and another puts out lights with skulls and pumpkins but pretty small for sketching.

Back