Scavenger Hunt from Life #79: Aug 6 - 14

AiArts

The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.

If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:
https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/

Here are the rules for the Hunt:
*All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the list, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
*Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
*Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.
*Have fun!
*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required!

Scavenger Hunt from Life #79: Aug 6 - 14

Animal or stuff animal

Building

Close

Door or gateway

Egg

Flower

Giant or bigger than you

Home or part of residence

Ink related

Jug or Jar

Kitchen or kitchen tool

Leaf

Money

New

Open

Portrait or People

Quiche or other food

Ruler or other measuring tool

Stone or rock

Tree

Umbrella

Vehicle

Wonderful thing around you (free choice)

Xacto knife or any cutting tool

Yellow

Zebra or black and white pattern

I went to a half day sketching with my group at the Bank of Thailand, in which part of their estate included Bangkhunprom Palace.

#1 giant, ..staircase at the palace...ink on a watercolor pre-grounded in yellow orche sketch page

1000017698.jpg

#2 vehicle ... a classic vehicle on exhibit.
1000017701.jpg

1000017700.jpg

Ai, thanks for the new list. Super detail to the staircase. It looks like something out of a movie. Nice car...bet it came with a driver too.

The NYC Urban Sketchers met at Astoria Park today where we had a view of two bridges.

1 - giant or bigger than me (The Triborough Bridge) - watercolors and ink

IMG_3078.jpeg

2 - people - watercolors and ink (This is Hells Gate Bridge.)
IMG_3080.jpeg

3 - trees

Ai - thanks for the new list. Yay vintage car!
Joan - oooh trees and part of a bridge - cool view

Joan: Thanks.. Gorgeous bridges... with wonderful details of people and green surrounding.
EP & all: Hello and Thanks.

Ai- Thanks for the new list. Have to admit I am a bit spoiled. When I was so impressed with your detailed drawing I slid down assuming to see photo of the same vista. Nice sketch of the old Austin…and picture to compare.😎

Joan - Great detail on both bridges. The touches of red on Hells Gate Bridge reminded me it always looked primed rather than painted. Assume they still keep it that reddish orange color? Love how did the trees.

EP 👋🏽

Keep sketching
Fletch

Joe: Thank you. Here is the real staircase of the palace. I was limiting myself for using the full blown watercolor, as it is part of the real palace ground. Luckily, I had pre-grounded my page with wc. So I only do the brown ink drawing there.

1000017688.jpg

Ai - The wash with the brown ink gives an Old Master’s sketch feel to it. Gorgeous staircase and your rendered it beautifully. Thank you for sharing.

Keep sketching
Joe

Last edited:
Ai, wow on the staircase. So elegant looking. Love the car. Hard to capture the form with the round edges. Super job!. Thanks for the photos!!

Joan, the Triborough Bridge is amazing. You have the distance and it looks huge. The Hells Gate Bridge is such a peaceful scene. Well done and applause.

I sketched in the living room yesterday in the BookFactory sketchbook with a Sharpie Pen and a Micron 01.
Number 1, zebra or black and white pattern - puzzle
Number 2, kitchen - from across the living room

csshfl79kitchen.jpg

EP, thanks.

Ai, thank you. Thanks for showing us a photo of the staircase. The brown ink gives it a vintage feel.

Joe, thanks. Just a little info about the color of the Hells Gate Bridge. In 1991, Senator Patrick Moynihan—once a kid from Astoria—drummed up support from congress to allocate $55 million to repair to the bridge. This led to the invention of the color "Hell Gate Red." A flaw in the paint formula resulted in the bridge's current faded appearance. It was Amtrak's decision to go with the unique color. It was also Amtrak who decided to stick with the flawed paint for reapplication after the original quickly faded before the job was even completed.
Right now there is very little of the red color remaining. Maybe it needs another paint job. lol
Jo, thanks for your comments. Good thinking for a black and white pattern. Nice view of the kitchen from across the room.

4 - stuffed animal - watercolors and ink
5 - door

IMG_3088.jpeg

6 - vehicle - watercolors
7 - building

IMG_3091.jpeg

Thanks Jo, Joe, and Joan.

Jo:
I ditto Joe; that is, your sketch of your kitchen is outstanding in those elegant details. Super cool idea on the black-white.

Joan: Gorgeous sail boat scene. Super and fun window of the shop scene too. Thank you for the interesting facts of the bridge's colors too.

Last edited:
Joan, we learn a lot of history here. Lovely paintings today. I like the door and boat.

Ai, thanks, we love your history, too. Our grand-dogs are coming to visit so may get an animal!

Hi, Fletch and all the rest. Thanks.

Here is a still life that I painted in my Grandmas flower garden that includes som flowers. The white flowers in the background are hydrangeas and the red flower is a geranium.
I hope this counts!!! Happy painting,
Kyle
IMG_0852.jpeg

Hi Kyle, thanks for joining in and welcome. We use all media. Love your plein air still life. You might have jug and jar in it also.

#3 building --"Long1919" classic Chinese shophouse rows in Bangkok's westside, owned by a banking family, aka Wanglee Estate. I went there for a short sketch trip during lunch, hearing that it will be close for a long renovation.

#4 umbrella

1000017980.jpg

1000017973.jpg

1000017994.jpg

#5 sub. an egg with (persimmon+nectarine)

1000017943.jpg

Ai, I'm glad you liked the details about the paint color of the bridge. I like the interesting building and your persimmon and nectarine look delicious.

Jo, thank you.

Kyle, lovely painting done in the garden. I like the table setup too! Hope you will share more of your work.

8 - umbrellas - watercolors and ink
9 - yellow shirt

IMG_3094 (1).jpeg

10 - open restaurant - watercolors and ink

IMG_3097 (1).jpeg

Joan: Wow... fantastic open restaurants, and those details that you have wonderfully recorded. Love the umbrella and yellow shirts too.

Ai, good you got to visit the restaurant before renovations. Looks like a fun place. The persimmon and nectarine are so well done.

Joan, good find on the umbrellas and yellow shirt. I need to get out and do something away from the house. The clam bar looks fun, too. I like the flags and the people along with all the detail even a gull!

We have the grand-dogs here so captured Reese, she is just soooo black hard to get details. Both are Shih Tzu. Will try to get Chewie tomorrow.
Number 3 animal - in the big Canson mix media with Blick markers, Pentel for red and Ohuhu pens for accents and lettering.

csshfl79animal.jpg

Back