Scavenger Hunt from Life #72: Jun 11- Jun 19

AiArts

Scavenger Hunt from Life #72: Jun 11-19
The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.

If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:
https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/

Here are the rules for the Hunt:
*All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the list, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
*Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
*Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.
*Have fun!
*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required!

Scavenger Hunt from Life #72: Jun 11 - 19 -- the list
round or curve
straight
short
long
odd shape

contain dots or holes
made of fabric
made of metal
made of wood
made of leather

made of rubber
made of plastic
made of glass
made of rare material
flower

feather or contain feathers
vegetable
fruit
bring you smile
mechanics or engine of some sort

medley of something or a collection
colorful
earth tone
in primary color (Challenge#1 -- draw 3 things which make a complete set of primary colors)
building or shop
person/figure/portrait

Challenge#2 -- draw things with your unusual medium or unusual method
Challenge#3 -- put some items in a small still-life

#1... medley of barrels...done in dirwctwatercoler of vintage items to decirate a funckt cafe, in Bangkok
1000013843.jpg

1000013845.jpg

Hehe, jumped right in as soon as I saw it was up.
#1 made of metal (one of my clips)
#2 makes me smile (Caleb when he comes near me. He didn't stop moving)
#3 made of rare material (a ring I got this week, made of labradorite, a stone I love)

IMG_20230611_162240_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230611_162304_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Bghisley: Wow beautiful delicate colors and touch. The cat was peaceful and the clip was spotted on. The ring with a rare stone sketch was fantastic.

Ai, thanks for the new list. I like your interesting collection of barrels. Is the one with the crank used to make ice cream?

Bghisley, cute sketch of the cat/kitten. What a cute face! The ring is lovely...great color to that stone!

Joan: I was wondering that myself, about the cranked barrel. Your answer seems making sense to me.

#2 ... machine/engine of some sort ... redraw again... of Prof.'s tiny smart car, parked at one corner of campus... I mess up the water drop from my drink cup and smear the bottom right... oh well... Pls. don't get bored, as I like to sketch this tiny wheel set.

h72_machine_a.jpg

h72_machine_b.jpg

Thanks for the list, Ai. Your group of barrels is so well done. Love it. Ice Cream is a good guess. The only other thing might be a butter churn, but would be lots of butter! The car is so cute. Santiago, Chile, was the first place we saw tiny cars. You would be looking for parking and the attendants would just pick up the little cars and move them around to fit in out "big American" car which was a 'small' station-wagon in our minds. I think it was a Dodge Aspen.

Bghisly, Great work on the clip, kitty and ring. That is rare. Beautiful. Your Caleb looks content.

At my desk in the Canson mix media large sketchbook with Micron 02.
Number 1, feather - one we found on our walk the other day. Small maybe from a wren?
csshfl72feather.jpg

and to show the size

cssetup72feather.jpg

Jo, I remember seeing the tiny cars in Positano. There was very little parking, but a lot of people had tiny cars. The only problems is where do you put your luggage or packages? lol I like your sketch of the small feather. With it sitting in the little pot it looks like you're going to sketch with it.

Here's another direct watercolor for the challenge I'm doing.
1 - contains dots/holes (chair) - direct watercolor
2 - person
3 - made of fabric (hat & clothes)

IMG_2675.jpeg

Ai - thanks for the new list. Wonderful collection of barrels. Yay the small car again :)
Bghisly - lovely labrador ring - I agree that labradorite is wonderful. Awwww cute kitty :)
Jo - lovely feather pen :)
Joan - awwww lady in the patio chair. And someone on her phone while getting a pedicure!

5x8" page, ink and marker. No bonus bird droppings this time.

1. round/curve (pot)
2. has holes (watering can)
3. made of plastic (other plant pot)
bonus challenge 3 - still life of several items

4. made of metal (fence - it's not really pink but I used the pink marker to define the fence as opposed to the window glass)
5. made of glass (window)
6. odd shape (security lights on side of house)

Cheers,

hunt72-01.jpg

Thanks, Joan. Your direct watercolor of the lady in the chair is so good. You have the magic touch. The pedicure sketch has such good lines and humor.

EP, thanks. The touch of magenta add to the sketches. I like your "finds" for the items. Well done.

Bghisly, your feathers rock! Nice job on both.

I was watching a movie today. Not a practical way to start the morning so decided to sketch near the end of the show. In the Canson mix media large sketchbook, half page with Micron 03. Number 2, made of metal - my new thermal cup and Number 3, made of plastic - water bottle they give at the dentist's office.

csshfl72metal.jpg

EP, thanks for looking and commenting on my people. I like your use of the pink marker in the sketches. Gives them a little oomph!

Bghisly, nice work on the feathers!! Great shape to their bodies.

Jo, thanks. The lady having coffee outside didn't stay still. She constantly moved her legs and they are hard enough to capture when someone is still. I didn't even attempt the guy that was with her and it is a good thing because just as I finished her I looked up and they were both gone from the table. lol You have a theme there with things to drink from. Nice!!

EP: Love your cool groovy still-life with magenta touch.

Jo: Agree with Joan... that you are happily sipping great things... Nice sketch of a feather on pottery jar.

Joan: Bravo for all the super quick people sketch. It is not easy to pull that out and you have done fantasticlly on both sketches.

Bghisly: Those delicate color touch on spontaneous bird poses are super !!!

Back