Scavenger Hunt from Life #24: May 14 - May 22

Angela, what a fun birthday sketchbook. Lovely shell. Thanks.

Hi Robin, thanks, the mechanical dogs shorted out I guess. Houston is about 150 miles from here, so if you ever go there we could get together!!

Terri, thanks. I only hang out sheets or very bulky items. Nothing like the fresh smell. I like towels and soft things in the dryer. Ha.

Not much on the plans for today...hmmmm.

Actually got a few minutes to sketch. Will come back and comment.

#1 shell - a couple of grades of graphite in 9x12 sketchbook.

50F58681-AE7A-43CA-BA64-C21717C06D90.jpeg

Kerp sketching
Joe

Jo - Grater is a tough subject. Well done. Great figs landscape! Didn’t think anyone had clotheslines any more. In fact they are prohibited here by the HOA. Your drawing brings back lots of memories of my Mom hanging wash out the window. We lived on the 3rd floor.

Joan - Beautiful. Can almost smell the lilacs.

Sue -As said to jo, graters are tough subjects and both of you did it in ink! Nice hatching on the flashlight. Great shading on the doorway.

EP - WOW another grater in ink! My fave in the set is the drum sticks!

Angela - like the wash shading.

Keep sketching
Joe

Joe, wow on the shell. You have such a nice even hand. You know why I use ink. Quick and an excuse for things being lopsided!

Hi everyone. May sketch tomorrow .... or not. See ya.

Thanks for your comments everyone.

Jo, good catch on the dragonflies, lovely to see. I love to see washing blowing on the line - nostalgia again. I still do this when the weather is ok and it always reminds me of my mum and gran :)

Angela, really like the softness that you've got with the sketch and wash - and I think I'm going to steal your idea of a protracted birthday with lots of little goodies when mine comes around later in the year.

Joe, great transitions betweent the tones, you've really caught that swirly shell shape - try saying that fast 3 times!

Ai - the top shell reminds me of a nautilus. We saw a live one in Hawaii. It only lived a short time. The theory was they did not a way to pressurize the tank enough to keep it alive.

Joe, what a beautiful shell!! Wonderful job with the graphite!

Ai, I love your watercolors. Very light and pretty, perfect colors for those shells.

EP, thanks. Nice grater!! The flat shape looks like it would be really useful. The holes look like eyes looking out. I have one of those old timers (LOL another pun). Nice mallets.

Jo, thank you. Nice view to the lake. I'm rarely at a lake and it seems like dragonflies tend to hang around there. I haven't seen any in a while. Love the sheets blowing in the breeze. My mom always hung out the laundry to dry. I don't see much of that any more except when we travel in Europe. I know in Italy they use dryers a lot less than we do.

Sue, love the detail on that old shed door and the brick texture is nicely done. Glad you solved your internet problem. :)

Terri, thanks so much!

Angela, many thanks. Lovely shading on your shell. The Sketch & Wash pens are nice to work with. They shade things without overpowering them.

I've been lazy taking photos and posting my sketches. These are from the last few days.

Today was a rainy day so I decided it would be a good day to take my car into Nissan for servicing. I sketched there.
2 - vessel (planter) - ink
3 - looking out from the service waiting area into the showroom
4 - doorway

IMG_0045.jpeg

5 - looking in to the fenced area - watercolors and ink
6 - animal related (open barn), sub for pet related

IMG_0047.jpeg

7 - something protective (wet suit) - watercolors
8 - odd one out (boat and the surfer)
IMG_0049.jpeg

This was done with my sketch group last night.
9 - holdall - pencil
IMG_0040 (1).jpeg

Wow, Joan - you've been busy! These are great. Fantastic details in the Nissan sketch. Your watercolors are lovely!

Received a phone message from Jeanne and she asked I post it here.

” I am having a lot of pain with my hands wrists and arms. Very bad pain I am staying on Advil twice a day trying not to overdo that. Having trouble writing typing and artwork. I’ve been doing a journal page a day with artwork and writing since December 30 and I’m trying to keep that up I don’t know how much longer I can though. I went Monday for x-rays on my right arm and hand haven’t heard anything back yet thank you Joe”

Thanks, Sue, probably as old as your mom. Ha. (Almost 80.)

Ai, I love your watery shells, perfect for the subjects.

Joan, amazing work. Good for you. I really like the pigs of course. The Nissan sketch is amazing. Applause for all.

Joe, thanks for the message from Jeanne. I haven't talked to her in a while, thanks for the reminder. Jeanne, take care.

I got out the pastels this morning. On a piece of sanded paper, maybe U-art. 9 x 12 inches.
Number 6, for picnic - apples
Number 7, egg
Number 8, odd man out - the square box

csshfl24odd-oval-picnic.jpg

Hi ya’ll. ..each day I do think of sketching. But other stuff needs doing.....

Joe. Lovely shell sketch....I feel like you really enjoyed working on that......thanks for relay message from Jeanne. I will be pray for her. The friends we made at wet canvas will always be in my life. I still have and use some art things Kirvin’s husband sent Ai after she passed.....if you recall her?

Jo- those apples are gently radiating light, the egg looks apologetic for naked and unshelled......thanks for the invite. We don’t travel much but T’s son is in Arizona. If we ever venture that way it would be lovely to visit.

joan —all you steady art working has paid off...these three are really fine quality....thanks for sharing

Ai- lovely shells, the second Abalone (?) looks pretty life like....do you eat them?

Jo - thank you. Yes the grater fits over a container that holds the grated items - genius! Yay green landscape. Way to go capturing drangonflies. Yahoo clotheline! It seems that people around here are discouraged from hanging laundry outside to dry. However, I recall seeing that people in Hawaii hang their laundry to dry in their covered carport. Let the warm winds dry the items - great idea! Great pastel apples and egg and box. :)
Sue - thank you. Check out the cool brickwork around the doorway.
Terri - thank you. I'm fond of this purple for shadows :)
Angela - thank you. Good shell.
Robin - thank you
Joe - oh yay check out that graphite shell! Thank you. And thanks for passing along the message from Jeanne. Hope she feels better soon.
Ai - check out the shells!
Joan - thank you. Aha great Nissan dealership service department waiting room. Yay coloured farm/pasture/barn/paddock. Good surfer carrying his board to the ocean.

Here's another bit from me. 5x8" ink and marker.
6. crumpled paper
7. folded paper - origami crane
8. rolled paper
9. a tube of caulk (a material used to seal joints or seams against leakage in various structures and piping ... from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caulk)
10. pile of (stack of books)

hunt24-03.jpg

Cheers,

Robin, Arizona would be fun, too. Gene's brother is in Sierra Vista (southern part).

EP, clever sketch. Simple but says it all. Love the coloring. Origami escapes me. I don't think I can fold straight. Ha.

Thanks for the new hunt. I really like everything you have created. So many exceptional shells, but everything is beautiful from fantastic watercolours to drawings And painting
. I had done this, a bottle and handkerchiefs of paper, as my first draw of the hunt, but then I did only this.possibly I will update

1/2
Crumpled

Folded and something ….picnic (botte)
Bott.jpeg

Thought I'd see what you were all up to, and discovered I'd just done quick sketches that fit the list - suitcase, and 2 books in a bookshelf.
Crops from a sketchbook. Brown sketching pen, blue Derwent pencil
20220522_000026-01.jpeg
20220522_000048-01.jpeg
20220522_000048-02.jpeg

Joe, thanks. Your shell is nicely shaded! I would have such a shell collection if I lived down there. Thanks for relaying Jeanne's message.

Ai, nice shapes to your shells. I am always amazed by the variety of different shells.

Terri, thanks. I usually try to do one sketch or painting a day...and usually succeed.

Jeanne, I'm sorry to hear you are having so much pain in your hands and wrists. Hopefully they can figure out a way to alleviate it. We miss you when you're not posting. I know sometimes you are there looking at what we post. I hope you have a Happy Birthday!!!

Jo, thanks. Nice still life with those handy apples and egg. You are ready for that picnic. lol

Robin, some of us have been friends for a long time. I remember Kivrin and have some of her art supplies too, thanks to Ai.

EP, thank you. Nice sketches of the items on top of the stacked books. The origami crane is probably the only thing I can fold successfully (aside from fitted sheets lol). An aunt who was definitely not my favorite showed us how to make them when we were kids. For some reason it stuck in my mind, even though I wanted to forget about her. lol When I taught an artist came and did origami with the kids a few times. I never remembered how to make any of the items he taught.

Joe 1, nice work on the bottle and the crumpled paper. Your shading is well done.

JennieJo, nice sketch of the suitcase. It brings to mind that word "valise" since it looks like an old fashioned type. Nice book sketches too.

10 - uplifting spring flowers - watercolors

IMG_0053.jpeg

Robin: I had abalone dish once as a part of official business dinner in China... It is popular and expensive, esp. for Asian taste. I don't eat it as my normal life. For the shells, I got the two big shells from the fisherman. I walked pass his place, saw his wall full of them. I asked to borrow them to be my drawing subjects. He insisted on giving both to me anyway. I guess I sketch them many times.

All: Thanks for your kind words on my shell sketches.

Joe: Pls. tell Jeanne, that I'm sending her my well-wish vibe.

Last edited:
Back