Scavenger Hunt from Life #123 - July 22 - 30

Robin Gillis

Contributing Member
Heres the hunt list- please refer to previous hunt for all the rulles, history and miscellaneous details, thanks

1.:view from car window
2..ear
3..circle
4..handheld
5..for the head
6..pertaining to legs
7..around
8 face
9..has holes
10..flat
11. Many
12. Free space
13..framed
14..own only one
15. .useful
16..thankful for
17..somethi you see away from home
18..makes a sound
19…looking up
20..animal
21…vegetable
22..teeth
23.. table top with items on
24…house plant
25…people/person
26….wall

LET’S DO THIS. :cool: (y)

It is almost the end of our Tokyo family trip...Tone and I walked along Sumida river, Tokyo, early this morning.

#1 Something I see away from home, a strange looking building of Asahi beer headquarter aka the turd building by the Japanese locals...The left side tall building is supposed to be a tall cup of beer alike.... directwatercolor

1000003331.jpg
1000003332.jpg

Last edited:
We walked by this building near our hotel... something about it strikes my heart glow...today before we leave, I came back and sketched it...pencil+WC+ pen

#2 looking up

1000003413.jpg

1000003415.jpg

Ai- happy you got some watercoloring down on the trip. Pretty unique buildings. Pretty adventurous and fun! the Japanese creativity is wonderful. Safe travels home

Robin , thanks.
Ai, wonderful painting, wonderful urban art

I made these, but some one morning 5 days ago and others 13 days ago, for previous hunts even if I put here how1 people2 circle , free space , flat = is car , a panda and various cars and a lizardI discovered thatI like gel pens more but I realized that on the sketchbooks I have, gel pens don't work well, ballpoint and pencil are better, 5/8 years ago I bought sketchbooks but I've been using them for the last few years, I couldn't get started before I got stuck with reams, a couple are still intact,but I realized that the only one I finished went very well with gel pens even if it cost 2 euros, but I used it almost only to make lines and circles for practice, I bought albums in recent years without understanding the characteristics, perhaps for offers, if this happens to you and you want to use a pen, my impression is that cartridge sheets are good for pens and are cheap.in the ones I have now it doesn't flow well because the paper is less smooth.if I went with pencil first and if I use limescale ink is it better than using them for an entire drawing from 0?I had another one that was nice to use with the pen, I also had some A5 notebooks to put in a cover with elastic but a few months ago I accidentally got water on them and they got ruined, maybe I should throw them away but I haven't done it yet .other sheets that I found nice to use with pens, ink are thicker printer sheets but I don't want to use loose sheets anymore, I no longer had anywhere to store them and I threw them in the recycling bin but it's also that the notebook is more convenient, even if album cartridge was better also for convenience because it is a spiral album, the ones I am using are notebook sketchbooks, I am using a5 while I still have the new a4 but bulkier and the type of sheet is like the a5 ones.

paper , sketchbook a5 pen

2024-07-22 16-35_pagina_1.jpg
2024-07-22 16-35_pagina_2.jpg
2024-07-22 16-35_pagina_3.jpg
2024-07-22 16-35_pagina_4.jpg
2024-07-22 16-35_pagina_5.jpg
2024-07-22 16-35_pagina_6.jpg
2024-07-22 16-35_pagina_7.jpg

Ai, fun beer and pyramid buildings. Have loved your trip!

joe1lt, great sketches of boat, cars and tootsies (feet) Always fun to see.

I hope to sketch tomorrow, I've been a bit lazy....

Robin, thanks for the new list.

Ai, you did a great job capturing those unusual buildings. Your trip went so fast! Have a good trip home.

Joe, I see that you are focusing on mostly cars this time. Nice!

I had hoped to get more done today, but that didn't happen.

1 - animals - direct watercolor

IMG_5672.jpeg

Joan: Thank you. Yes, Tone took a lot of photos for us. He loves to record interesting things in Tokyo neighborhood. Your chickens are so nicely done. Your strokes, though not too many, but sure is very effective.

Jo, Joe1, Ned: Thanks for your support.

Ai - can see the ‘beer’ building with the foam on top. Still have no clue what the turd is suppose to be? It you tenderest well. The pyramid building is cool and you did a great painting of it.

Joe1 - nice grip of sketches. Cars are tough too?

Joan . Like how seem to have captured a sense of movement with minim strokes of the brush.

Jo, Ned, Robin - 👋🏽👋🏽👋🏽
#1 circle - hanging globe. Multiple grades of graphite in pocket size sketchbook.
IMG_2644.jpeg

Keep sketching
Fletch

Last edited:
Joe, thanks for your globe sketch. I like the shading and form. Well done.

I sketched on my footstool in the living room. Number 1 has holes - a strainer that clips on a cooking pot to drain hot pasta or veggies, etc. Gift from Larry, always finds helpful things we don't know we need. Ohuhu pen and Blick gray markers. Number 2 house plant - a Christmas cactus in a silver bowl. It hasn't bloomed.

csshfl123holes-plant.jpg

Ai, thanks. I did the chickens quickly because my art group was heading to lunch.

Jo, thanks. It was fun to be someplace with chickens to sketch. The strainer looks useful...much better than the cover of the pot. lol I like your Christmas cactus. Does it only flower near Christmas?

Fletch, thank you. Nice hanging globe. What is on the side of it?

Today I did a sketch of The Catbird Seat, a shop in Sayville that sells some of my artwork. The woman who owns the place is really nice and eons ago she asked me if I would sketch the shop for her and she would pay me. Of course I procrastinated forever, but today when I was driving thru town there was a parking spot directly across from the shop. I had a better view from inside the car than sitting out on the sidewalk...and I didn't have to worry about looking between cars. I gave it to Debbi as a thank you for promoting my work for so long, and she was thrilled.
2 - for your head (hats in the window) - watercolors and ink
3 - flat (artwork in the boxes)
4 - framed artwork in the window

IMG_5685.jpeg

5 - substitute for house plant - direct watercolors

IMG_5688.jpeg

Yeah... we are back to Bangkok to our humble home and workplace. Glad we all 4 did have a good time memory in Japan together in this short trip. Hope I can go there again in the future. Thanks all for your support.

Robin: Thanks so much.

Jo: Lovely kitchen tool, strainer. It came out great with your marker. Nice delicate ink touch to the cactus.

Joan: Wowza on the shopfront sketch. The owner was lucky to have your sketch; you got so beautiful details recorded. I love the dark indoor background windows, which popped up those merchandises. Wonderful house plant too.

Fletch:
Great job on the super round hanging globe.

Last edited:
Jo - Like the shading on the strainer and all the detail on the plant.

Joan - This must be super detail day. Jo did it with the plant and you with the storefront? Amazing. You did miss something. You missed counting “view from car window”.😎
On the side of the globe is the reflection of the sliding doors and the lanai archway.

Thanks to all for the kind words.
Keep sketching
Fletch

Back