Scavenger Hunt #10 Jan 21 - Jan 29

JennieJo - Love all the interest you've captured in your old brush holder, and beautiful flowing lines.

Joe1 - Great choice for the subject, and terrific energy in the sketch - really like the pencil colour, too!

Robin - Love the colour and pen shading in your sketches - fab way to draw the tiles and old wallpaper.

ams - Charming page of items! Delicate drawing and beautiful shading (and I love the jewellery, particularly the rose pin).

Joan - Wonderful sketches! The ink & watercolour on toned paper has a beautiful look, and your painting of the dresses is perfect. Love the crashing waves and the beautiful colours in the sea, and great drawing on the house sketch.

Vivien - Clever choice for old and new. Lovely shapes and patterns to the vine and flowers.

#1/#2 - Something from the kitchen - gesso & espresso/ something to throw away - particularly useless foam brushes. Quick scribble this morning, acrylic/pastel, A2.

#3 - Something in a primary colour - very magenta landscape. Sketch from yesterday. Couldn't decide whether this one was interesting or awful, but thought I'd post it anyway. Acrylic & pastel, A2.
View attachment 17821

View attachment 17822
Many thanks Triss. I am very conscious that I'm stepping on the bottom rung of a very tall ladder. But, I am committed to stepping up without despair 🤩 I do most works with my rose coloured glasses firmly in place.

Welcome to the Scavenger Hunts from Life.
The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.

If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:
https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/

Here are the rules for the Hunt:
*All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the list, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
*Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
*Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.
*Have fun!
*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required.

Something old
Something new
Something you inherited
Something you received as a gift
Something broken
Something you found
Something you plan to give away
Something you plan to throwaway…..eventually
Something seasonal
Looking out
Looking in
Entrance
Exit
Food related
Something spicy
Something sweet
Something from your bedroom
Something from your kitchen
Something from your bathroom
Something from your yard
Something you collect (besides art supplies)
Something that makes noise
Something that blocks noise
Something you find relaxing
Something in a primary color
Something in a secondary color

Challenges:
  1. Make a still life out of 3 or more items from the Hunt
  2. Use associations. Use as many as you head goes but tell us the string
Example: Sweet (is theme) - Sugar - Candy - cavities - toothpaste (is what you actually draw)

Keep sketching
Joe
Hunt #10 Jan 21 - Jan 29
! I'm slowly taking g over the pool house.
20220127_075646-01.jpeg
My favourite painting place, after some recent rains filled the gazebo roof.

Ai, I love the primary color hat. Perfect. I love the soy beans both look great to me.Yummy veggies o the blue plate. Ah, you've joined in on LeftyLucy. So nice, recognizable from Joan's sketches. Fun you have a sketchbook from Kivrin. I was proud to get some oil paint.

Triss, mmm, the blue mug on gritty paper. Regular soft pastels may like your surface. Love this. Wow on the town sketch. Exciting!! Both in color and technique!!

JennieJo, I like the BABBA idea! Your pool house is very nice. Nice to see where you work. Keep them coming.

Joan, nice round look to the soap dispenser. Cute little glass fishes. Nicely done. Fun sketch of LeftyLucy. Like the teal color. Thanks on the poinsettia. Lots of fallen leaves for sure. The white one has held up better but color not so exciting.

joe1lt, love the cup, thanks. The orange is good, I think I use like sort of half circles for the texture in drawing. Well done, looks like an orange to me.
Thanks everyone.
I sketched in the big Canson regular Sketchbook, plain paper with the Sharpie pen.
Number 2 Something you collect - actually Gene's collections. "Some" of his caps and tops of walking canes.
csshfl10collect.jpg

Jo: Thank you... Love your cap and cane collection, they look unique together and your pen lines give them vintage charm.

Joan: Thank you... I am so happy to finally get to sketch Lefty Lucy with you virtually. What a tough skills you have been practicing. It is not easy at all. I even skip a pose or two as I was hung up adding a few more dabs to previous poses. Lovely sketch of Lucy by you, and wonderful shade of the bottle, and the fish glass pieces look delicate.

Jennie: Lovely swimming gazebo.

Triss: Thanks for your kind... love your early hour morning entrance with the pink aura.

Joe and Joe1: Thank you so much.

Joe1: Nice hatching on an orange. Keep it rolling.

Hello to all lurkers.

Iris just had food poisoning, I am staying overnight at the hospital with her, hopefully, it will be only for one night. We ate same thing but she seemed to get the worst of it. She got med. and some IV solution. She seems to recover some.

Last edited:
Joe1 - I think you did a good job on the texture as I knew it was an orange right away.

JennieJo - No matter where you are on the ladder just remember to have fun! Love the pool house. What a great spot for a studio?

Jo - So Gene has caps and canes but you can’t have mugs? Hmmm. Well you sketched his colllectionS very well.

Ai -sending prayers Miss Iris recovers quickly.

Keep sketching
Joe

Joe1 - I always enjoy seeing your hatching styles, and I like your work on the orange. I think the line shading works well as a contrast to the great bumpy, textural effect you have at the top.

JennieJo - Really glad you've joined us to sketch here - I love your attitude! I sketch in red laser glasses sometimes when I'm working in charcoal, but I'd prefer a pair of your metaphorical specs. Great view of your pool house - fun perspective, and lovely greenery.

Jo - Fab collection - I like Gene's style! Nice work with the stylish contrasts, and wonderful hatching.

Joe - Thanks for giving me a better excuse for the numbering of that sketch! I find that morning light sticks around long enough to sketch - I like the long shadows late in the day, but sunsets are always too quick for me to catch.

Ai - Best wishes for a speedy recovery for Iris, hope she's feeling well again soon.

#5 - Exit. Houses and a car park one-way system (sketched from the glamorous location of sitting in my car boot). I think buildings may not be my thing - I really don't have much patience for doors and windows! Acrylics/oil pastel, A2.

exit.jpg

Triss - for no patience the windows and doors look pretty good from here! As I hav3 said more than a few times, I love the vitality/dynamics in your work.

#1 gift - Native American playing the flute. drawn in multiple grades of graphite in 8.5x5.5 inch sketchbook. Did not time it but around an hour maybe a little more. My sister bought this for me after seeing my flutes and some kokopelli figures. She thought it looked like a ”realistic” kokopelli.
This is also doing double duty as I started an online course “25 Days to Better Drawing” and day 1 is draw somethino complex and put it away.

D5A0C132-628F-494F-A96E-C12F59C4BF8D.jpeg

Keep sketching
Joe

Last edited:
Jo, nice drawing of a tired poinsettia.

Ai, nice hat with the primary colors.

Triss, your espresso looks yummy.

Ai, I like your steamed soybeans. My favorite is the first but I'll eat them both. The bok choy and carrot look good too. I think I'll eat them as well. Nice portraits and quick sketches too.

Joan, I like your sketch & wash soap dispenser, glass fish and lefty lucy portrait. Neat idea to do life drawing via zoom. We improvise!

Triss, I like your "entrance" in the early morning. You captured the light of the dawn breaking which makes for a very interesting painting.

Joe1, nice orange and cup sketches.

JennieJo, lovely painting of the pool house.

Jo, nice collection of hats and canes.

Ai, sorry to hear about the food poisoning. Hope Iris feels better soon and you recover from a night spent in the hospital.

Triss, the buildings have come out well with your style. The rough windows and doors work well with the rest of the painting.

Joe, the Native American playing the flute is delightful. Such wonderful drawing and shading.

Whew...I think I finally caught up with all of the comments.

I did a few items from the kitchen combined for a still life. Ink & water-soluble graphite.

#9, Something sweet
#10, Food related
#11, Something spicy

20220127Sk6 (Sk10#9-11).png

Hi, everyone! I'm not going to try to comment on all the sketches, but I am enjoying looking at them all.

Joe, thanks for the list! Happy birthday!

I got really carried away on this, but . . . #1 something old. Mixed media in 8x10 sketchbook. When I took the photo of my subject, I held my sketchbook up to block all the clutter in the background, but of course that changed all the lights and shadows. Oh well. Spent a couple of hours on it, I guess, but it was fun.
20220127_135822 (Large).jpg

20220127_135950 (Large).jpg

Thanks Joe, Anne, and Triss for Iris's get well wishes. She is improving...

Anne: wonderful set of sketch items. Your soft shading is magic.

Triss: Suoerb on your exit buildings.

Joe: One of a kind gift, wonderful rendered.

Angela: Gorgeous blue vase sketch....I can see how it spellbounded you to draw it.

#7 something spicy (the costume of Lefty Lucy)-- another 5 min. Pose of Lefty Lucy. This is about 4x3 inch direct watercolor sketch done on cheapo office paper..but I like the result.
20220126_072824.jpg

Joe1 - I think you did a good job on the texture as I knew it was an orange right away.

JennieJo - No matter where you are on the ladder just remember to have fun! Love the pool house. What a great spot for a studio?

Jo - So Gene has caps and canes but you can’t have mugs? Hmmm. Well you sketched his colllectionS very well.

Ai -sending prayers Miss Iris recovers quickly.

Keep sketching
Joe
Ha, Joe. We both have slipped. I do have quite a few mugs besides the regular cups that come with dishes. Probably about 30??? We said not to collect anything and the house is overflowing with junk almost as bad as the old one. I still have some burned mugs around, too. Use for pencil holders, etc. All the stuffed toys. Gene collects gadgets, little tools, knives, etc. We need a garage sale.

The Hunts were started in 2006 by Jamie Williams Grossman as a way to practice with prompts. Artists have come and gone while forming some lasting friendships. We hope you will join in and tune up your sketching skills. All levels and techniques are welcome. We hope you can have some good times here. You can travel the world seeing the sketches of items at hand by the artists.

If you’ve participated in at least one Scavenger Hunt and have time to host one we would really appreciate it. You can sign up by posting your name on the current hosting schedule in the Art From Life forum here:
https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-host-sign-up-list.2481/

*All everyday common items on the list must be sketched from life – not imagination or photo reference.
*Each object you draw can count for only one item on the list, no matter how many shapes/parts/colors that object contains. This was agreed on by unanimous vote among the participants.
*You may place multiple objects together in a drawing or painting, and may count these objects as separate items, but no single object can count for more than one item.
*All items posted must be numbered. Count them as you go. The first item you post will be #1 regardless of its place on the list. Do them in whatever order you wish, but count them in the order in which you sketch them, from 1 to 26.
*Do as many or as few of the items as you like. You don’t have to finish the entire list to participate. The Scavenger Hunt “week” will last for 9 days, with the next hunt starting on the 9th day.
*Please tell us your size, surface, medium, and the amount of time it took you for each sketch. We love hearing about your subjects and setups. Photos of your subjects are welcome.
*Have fun!
*** If you have some hunt sketches completed but little time to read/comment, please post your sketches anyway. Commenting is appreciated but not required.

Something old
Something new
Something you inherited
Something broken
Something you found
Something seasonal
Looking out
Looking in
Entrance
Exit
Food related
Something spicy
Something sweet
Something from your yard

Challenges:
Example: Sweet (is theme) - Sugar - Candy - cavities - toothpaste (is what you actually draw)

Keep sketching
Joe
Hunt #10 Jan 21 - Jan 29
No 4. Something Sweet, my granddaughter. 3 colour and blue pen timed sketch.

20220128_194527-01.jpeg

*Have fun!

Something old
Something new
Something you inherited
Something broken
Something you found
Something seasonal
Looking out
Looking in
Entrance
Exit
Food related
Something spicy
Something sweet
Something from your yard

Challenges:

Keep sketching
Joe
Hunt #10 Jan 21 - Jan 29
No 6. 3 colours, yellow brown, purple, on rough A5 sketch paper.

Bad choice of colours, but they're all I've got
20220128_202023-01.jpeg
with me. . yellow toe nails! Toes look a bit sick.

Well, I've been slow on the draw this Hunt. (Pun intended.) Thanks all for your nice comments.

Triss, your #5 exit is full of life. Love the colors and hatching.

Joe, your kokopelli is amazing. Love the gesture and shading. If they have you put it away, they may have you draw it again later to compare. Hard for me to have do overs.

Anne, such a nice still life with the dates, etc. Your shading is always spot on. I like dates, never think to buy them.

Angela, beautiful work on your delicate pitcher. Hard to get the shine and flowing lines. Well done! Nice to see you around.

Ai, your "spicy" made me smile. Good job on Lucy.

JennieJo, the granddaughter sketch is perfect. Fun that you get to sketch her. Ours are far away in Kentucky .. about 1,000 miles. Your relaxing toes made me smile ... again.

Robin, such a cute cookie jar. Spicy looks good. Blue ice trays, love it. Your kitchen looks welcoming to a cook. I like your lamp shade in the bedroom. Fun, fun.

Back later.

Joe - Wonderful sketch - it looks very dynamic to me! Looking forward to hearing how your drawing course goes, that sounds interesting.

ams - Love the still life, congratulations on getting the three objects in for the challenge (and loads of extra marks for managing to catch up with all the comments!). Excellent work on the crumpled shading of the packet of dates.

Angela - Great to see your fab mixed media sketch. Brilliant blues, and lovely marks - glad you could join in!

Ai - Happy to hear that Iris is improving. Love the way you make bad paper for watercolour work to your advantage - I really like the blurring, and the wonderful dark teal and red combination.

JennieJo - Love the pen work in both your sketches, and you're definitely making your three colours work for you - very creative.

Robin - Terrific sketches! That combination of pens and hatching looks so much fun - the pig cookie jar is my favourite, and I love the arrangement with the smilie buttons.

Anne - love the soft shading you do with the water-soluble graphite.

Angela - the pitcher is beautiful as is your rendition. Was worth the time. Get carried away some more!

Ai - Looks like you have become another Lucy fan. Nice work.

Jo - We am trying to clean out. The Den is so full I had to moved all my watercolor stuff to the dining room to have room to work. Our supposed guest room is more a storage room. Every closet in the house is full. So I totally related to needing a garage sale.
If they use the kokopelli as a do over there are lots of thinks to fix. I screwed up his hair, chest and neck so put them all in dark shade which turned out decent but I know are wrong…or rather “done with artistic license.” LOL

JennieJo - Pretty granddaughter and well painted. Like how you did skin shading. Made a comment the other day about enjoying pictures Robin use to do where she had all the tones right but not the normal colors and pieces looked great. Thin’ you did that with the toes only you have colors very close to normal.

Robin - Nice series of sketches Think my fav is the bedroom sketch but oven and cookie jar are close seconds!

Keep sketching
Joe

Back