Rustoleum Auto Primer

Oil-based shellac?
To the best of my knowledge, shellac has never been used for any kind of oil-based varnish or sealer. But I have heard of people who have added walnut oil to a shellac solution--these are guitar builders who claim it makes for a stronger finish for use on necks.

Not oil-based shellac necessarily, but regular shellac that would not take a water-based finish on top. The Universal Sealer will accept any kind.

Not oil-based shellac necessarily, but regular shellac that would not take a water-based finish on top. The Universal Sealer will accept any kind.

Looks like you favorite is clear shellac and my favorite is shellac with titanium white and kaolin clay. I was excited to see that it contained kaolin clay, as that stuff is absorbent. (Ampersand Claybord is 100% kaolin clay on sealed hardboard, for instance.)
Where did you come by your recipe for diluting the sealer with alcohol?

FYI. Masonite is different than Tempered hardboard. Masonite is processed differently. Masonite is usually only smooth on one side, the other side with hatching or press marks. It is not as dense or strong as Tempered Hardboard. Tempered hardboard is what Ampersand uses for their art quality panels and IMO, that is a better product to use for making and prepping panels. In the USA TH is available at building supply stores like Home Depot and Lowes, although those products are probably not as good as Ampersand.
Some artists argue that you dont need to seal TH prior to Gessoing, due to the Baking and pressing of the board during MFG. However, I choose to seal first just to be sure. I would not like to see any brown oil stains surface at a later date.
I use tempered hardboard and don't seal. No problems in 10+ years. This last time all Home Depot had (due to supply shortages)
was (I presume) masonite - with the hatching on the back. Well I didn't seal, just gessoed the smooth side and it warped into a "u".
This under the same conditions I keep my other hardboard - which is in an unheated, humid area.

The hardboard at lowes I find superior to home depot. At home depot you can see the sheets of hardboard bowing on the racks - not so at lowes. Some of my "internet buddies" across the U.S. have also confirmed this. However the panel saw at my Lowes is always broken so they can't cut down a 4'x8' sheet which forces me to go to Home Depot.

Looks like you favorite is clear shellac and my favorite is shellac with titanium white and kaolin clay. I was excited to see that it contained kaolin clay, as that stuff is absorbent. (Ampersand Claybord is 100% kaolin clay on sealed hardboard, for instance.)
Where did you come by your recipe for diluting the sealer with alcohol?

It's Dh Alcohol. Not alcohol. And like I stated, this is how my professional panel makers say to seal these artist's panels. They are not on the web, nor do they have YouTube channels. They have been in the business of making professional grade panels for generations. One of them has passed on and his son I guess didn't want to take over the business, but they were called Beagle Easel (they also made easels). That guy was named Craig Sutton and he was the first guy who told me about the 3:1 ratio, but it was later confirmed by a private guy who was super anal about how to seal panels and insisted on 7-9 coats of the stuff. He was a little out there.

There are other places I've used, like CAS LA, Lucius Hudson, Duho Studios, John Annesley, and other places that are just private guys. Having them seal them for you cost almost more than the panels themselves. Some places will seal them with two coats.

I'm still looking into someone local in the desert since I've moved here because I'm on my last few panels now from a Duho Studios batch.

I would not seal my panels with titanium white and kaolin clay, as I am sealing the front, the back, and the sides. I'd be covering the entire thing in white, and I don't want that at all. I want the 2" sides to stay visible (pretty wood!).

I like those Ampersand clayboards. Those are pretty cool for mixed media (for oils, they are super absorbent and are a little tricky), but I'm trying to save this one panel I have with the milk paint on it, not buy something to replace it. I do have a couple of Ampersand clayboards here.

Steve Baumann, who is a big cheese painter/instructor on YouTube - recommends that instead of using gesso to prime a panel, spray it with Rustoleum Auto Primer. He says it's fast, easy, cheap and makes for a fantastic surface to paint on.

There's also a very popular guy on YouTube who claims that all of the earth's birds are dead and they've been replaced with mechanical government "birds" that do nothing but spy on you all day, so...

That Steve Baumann looks like a New Mexico car salesman who puts sawdust in transmissions, so I guess the Rustoleum recommendation kind of makes sense.

Carry on, forgive the interruption.

It's Dh Alcohol. Not alcohol. And like I stated, this is how my professional panel makers say to seal these artist's panels. They are not on the web, nor do they have YouTube channels. They have been in the business of making professional grade panels for generations

I'm not questioning your method. Must've been a different Universal Sanding Sealer that came up when I searched.
What is Dh alcohol?

I like those Ampersand clayboards. Those are pretty cool for mixed media (for oils, they are super absorbent and are a little tricky)...

They are supposedly absorbent enough for egg tempera, but they are so slick and have a very thin coat. Who knows?

They spy on you since you born. thats why you have protection ID number.
Stefan baumann is old fashion and well deserved artist. what he forgot most artist doesnt even learned yes. he lgive advices like any artist do on this government (govern over mind) platform.

There's also a very popular guy on YouTube who claims that all of the earth's birds are dead and they've been replaced with mechanical government "birds" that do nothing but spy on you all day, so...

That Steve Baumann looks like a New Mexico car salesman who puts sawdust in transmissions, so I guess the Rustoleum recommendation kind of makes sense.

Carry on, forgive the interruption.
Judging artists of all people on their looks is very odd and imo inadvisable - you will miss out on some fantastic personalities and incredible art. Artists aren't particularly known for wearing button-down collars and seersucker suits. And discounting anyone based on the way they look seems misguided imo.

I'm not a Steve Baumann fanboy by any stretch - BUT among other things he hosted TWENTY PBS EPISODES OF GRAND VIEW _ WITH OVER TEN MILLION VIEWERS - (while looking like a dishonest New Mexican used car salesman)

Last edited:
I use tempered hardboard and don't seal. No problems in 10+ years. This last time all Home Depot had (due to supply shortages)
was (I presume) masonite - with the hatching on the back. Well I didn't seal, just gessoed the smooth side and it warped into a "u".
This under the same conditions I keep my other hardboard - which is in an unheated, humid area.

The hardboard at lowes I find superior to home depot. At home depot you can see the sheets of hardboard bowing on the racks - not so at lowes. Some of my "internet buddies" across the U.S. have also confirmed this. However the panel saw at my Lowes is always broken so they can't cut down a 4'x8' sheet which forces me to go to Home Depot.
I too get my my hardboard at Lowes and that Lowes seems to have their saw down most of the time as well....hmmm🙄 smells🐟🐟
I had some of the thinner, 1/8”, with hatching on back that was left in my garage. When i tried prepping for paint it warped. That type is pressed with what is called a “wet” process like the older masonite process. VS Tempered which means that it is pressed and heated during process.
I like TH for panels up to 24” on the longest side. After that they seem to flex too much and start to get heavy, so then I go to stretched canvas. I like the artist stretcher bars if I can find them used. Once I got lucky and got many of them at a local Re-use supply store in Ithaca for 25 cents ea. Recently I stocked up on 100% cotton duck that was 50% off at Johann Fabrics, much less than art supply prices and heavier weight than most of those that are gessoed.

Last edited:
I too get my my hardboard at Lowes and that Lowes seems to have their saw down most of the time as well....hmmm🙄 smells🐟🐟
I had some of the thinner, 1/8”, with hatching on back that was left in my garage. When i tried prepping for paint it warped. That type is pressed with what is called a “wet” process like the older masonite process. VS Tempered which means that it is pressed and heated during process.
After months of Lowes saw being down, I emailed their corporate headquarters. I explained that a lot of people who buy 4x8 panels need them cut to size in order to carry home or otherwise. How not only are they losing out on those sales, but - while at homedepot to get a panel cut, why not do the rest of your shopping there too?! At the time Lowes had some beautiful baltic birch sheets - reasonable priced - that had dust on them since nobody was buying them.

About a month later Lowes got a brand new state-of-the-art panel saw. And about a month after that it was out-of-commission. It's been like that for over a year - they stack pallets of product in front of it, now.

And discounting anyone based on the way they look seems misguided imo.

Could be that the guy is simply sartorially-challenged, or maybe he struggles with conforming to societal norms. You just never really know what's happening with another person.

Could be that the guy is simply sartorially-challenged, or maybe he struggles with conforming to societal norms. You just never really know what's happening with another person.
my guess is that he likes the look and it creates a consistent persona - so he looks as distinct as his art. And conformity and resistance to new ideas are generally not traights of artists.
103353_0fb7ebf44ccd688b85a1399e5a10d048.jpg

GettyImages-1294937425-1024x675.jpg
1-Takashi_Murakami.jpg

odd-nerdrum.jpg

f5b9cafa-basquiat-in-bab5-790x500.jpg

To have fun and make light (non-threatening, non-bullying) comments on someone's appearance imo is fair game.
To say Steven Baumann looks like a car salesman - is funny - and maybe even not too far from the truth.
But to discount a person's ideas, worth, accomplishments based on their appearance is a different matter imo.

Last edited:
Laika:

Sorry I was out for the rest of the day yesterday. I only have a certain window I can be here, but I was able to see some of the questions from my phone. It was frustrating not to answer. I'm sorry about that. :(

Dh Alcohol is just a version of denatured alcohol which you can buy in the section of any hardware store in the paint thinners, spirits, and cleaners section. It's a bit different from from alcohol in that is far more flammable like a liquid gas, but you use very little of it to "cut" the shellac. I couldn't tell you exactly what's in it though. An Ethyl solvent? And it's often used with shellacs.

This is not the brand I use, but here's a can of it. I usually use Clean Strip S-L-X. But I don't think the brand matters.

I linked to this in a previous post here, but here, again, is a link to the Zinsser BULLSEYE Universal Sanding Sealer I use.

As for Hannah's joke. I think she was joking and just trying to lighten up the mood of what seemed like a serious talk about what the "right" way to prep a panel was. But I can not speak for her because she is a strange and ever-odd, unpredictable animal that comes from a wackadoodle planet that runs on absurdity gases. ;) If that's not right, forgive me Hannah.

Sometimes people don't trust what other people say, maybe not based on their looks, but based on their self-touted accolades. Personally I'm always suspicious of these types. I also haven't been impressed with this person's (Baumann's) art techniques, but that is my own feeling--my own instinct. That doesn't mean other people shouldn't do what he says. Maybe he's a guru of some kind. It's just my opinion which doesn't mean much. Maybe I shouldn't even be voicing it. No one seems to be paying much attention to it anyway! Ha ha ha! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: I feel I've been repeating myself a couple of times now, so I obviously am not even speaking correctly. It looks like I'm repeating myself at this point, which only makes me look like a lunatic. My bad. :(

Denatured alcohol is mainly ethanol, which is the alcohol found in alcoholic beverages like wine. It is made unfit for human consumption (denatured) by the addition of certain chemicals like pyridine.

Back