Second Act for panels

Bongo

Few of my plein air paintings are worthy of keeping. So I ended up with a bunch of used 18"x14" hardboard panels. I don't like painting over them if the previous painting is still visible. I tried covering them over with (cheap) oil paint. It took up to 3+ days in the hot sun to dry. In Seattle, we only have 3 or 4 days of hot sun all year 😁

Stefen Baumann (of the PBS series "The Grand View" fame) - mentioned (on Youtube) that he sometimes uses an automotive primer-sealer in place of gesso with great results. So I tried it and it was a disaster. Then months later I realized I had used an automotive primer - NOT a primer-sealer. There is a difference!
20230921_093849_copy_800x600.jpg

Rust-oleum primer-sealer with the panel to be sprayed. Notice bright oranges and yellows.

spray.jpg

same panel after one coat of spray. Won't scratch off, can be sanded and painted directly with oil or acrylic. As far as I know, only comes in gray and black. I sprayed that panel this morning and did a plein air painting on it this afternoon.

May not be for everyone - but it works for me and Stefen 😁.

Few of my plein air paintings are worthy of keeping. So I ended up with a bunch of used 18"x14" hardboard panels. I don't like painting over them if the previous painting is still visible. I tried covering them over with (cheap) oil paint. It took up to 3+ days in the hot sun to dry. In Seattle, we only have 3 or 4 days of hot sun all year 😁

Stefen Baumann (of the PBS series "The Grand View" fame) - mentioned (on Youtube) that he sometimes uses an automotive primer-sealer in place of gesso with great results. So I tried it and it was a disaster. Then months later I realized I had used an automotive primer - NOT a primer-sealer. There is a difference!
View attachment 34674
Rust-oleum primer-sealer with the panel to be sprayed. Notice bright oranges and yellows.

View attachment 34675
same panel after one coat of spray. Won't scratch off, can be sanded and painted directly with oil or acrylic. As far as I know, only comes in gray and black. I sprayed that panel this morning and did a plein air painting on it this afternoon.

May not be for everyone - but it works for me and Stefen 😁.
I'm going to try it

Back