Recent art that you liked

I'm glad you like Sanditz, SLG. I think she is brilliant. There are so many qualities that she has that I wish I could achieve in my own work. I am inspired by almost every painting of hers I see. Maybe if I keep looking, something will click in me to loosen up like that and I can stop feeling so jealous and start liking my own stuff as much as I like hers. One day...

Ran into this a day or two ago:

Konstantin Gorbatov - Russian Province in Spring [1922] oil on canvas 75 x 90 cm small.jpg

Konstantin Gorbatov - Russian Province in Spring [1922]. Oil on canvas, 75 x 90 cm.

Detail:

Konstantin Gorbatov - Russian Province in Spring [1922] detail.jpg

🤢 Unfortunately not. I just thought Sanditz might throw paint around to produce what she does, and one can't imagine - being presumptuous - your neatnik would be prepared to do that. I must have a closer look at the work.

I watched a few interviews with her today and some showed snippets of her studio. It wasn't as bad as you'd think. I think she was trained as a traditional landscape artist and maybe even once did plein air stuff, from what it looks like to me (a guess), and she is part of the Hudson School, so she definitely has that landscape training. Now that it's evolved into what it is today, It's probably easy for her to layer the paint without having to sling paint around like a monkey. She sure makes it look easy!

By the way: I'm not as tidy as you may think. While I work, I make somewhat of a mess, but I'm a little meticulous when I put my stuff away and start a new piece.

The appearance of an artist's studio does not always mirror the artwork. Here is Francis Bacon's studio:

francis-bacon-slides01_0.jpg

Yet honestly, his paintings don't strike me as anywhere near as explosively "sloppy" as Jackson Pollock's or Willem DeKooning's. One of my former studio partners painted huge (9' x 22') paintings that you would see as combining aspects of Jackson Pollock with Anselm Kiefer... yet he was an immaculate neat freak. He almost never got the least bit of paint on his hands or his clothes... let alone the floor. Me, on the other hand, in spite of my manner of painting, cannot walk into my studio without getting paint on my hands and pants... often in colors I'm not even using. Right now my studio is a bomb zone with flecks of gold leaf everywhere. I probably won't set about cleaning up and organizing the mess again until I move toward working on the figure in my current painting. Right now I have literally hundreds of color pencils and bottles of paint strewn about. The figure will demand the use of a large array of pastels and so I will definitely clear off my workbench so that I can easily see these spread out before me.

The appearance of an artist's studio does not always mirror the artwork. Here is Francis Bacon's studio:
Bacon's studio is a work in itself. When they transported it to Ireland, recreated it from photos, down to the last splash (if it's to be believed), I guess they considered it "Bringing home the Bacon." A Labour of Love.

With a dedicated work space I would be like a pig in shit. Every inadvertant paint spot that appears is another indelible nail in the coffin of my relationship. And boy can they throw daggers.

Steven Kenny The Cave.700.jpg

I just stumbled upon this painting on a figurative art site I follow entitled The Cave by Steven Kenny. I made a brief perusal of his other work and there are some nice paintings to be found... but I find this one to be the best by him that I've come across. It suggests something mysterious... an open-ended narrative.

Brianvds, JohnEmmet,
John, stlukesguild,
thanks for these operas, and I did not know these artists and works, they are all different from each other but I like them all the same.
strong poses, plasticity , fluidity (fluidità forse il termine più indicato ,non so comunque è forte come la colorazione )of Grace Weaver:

Back