Jacob - Sunday stroll

Terri

Supporting Member
I think I recently showed (in the What Are You Working On? thread) the acrylic gel medium image transfer that I was working on.

A brief reminder:

Jacob, gel medium IT 1.jpg

It worked so well, and I like the transparency. Anyway. I didn't take this photo, and the alphabet background page for this mixed media piece came from a book of art ephemera. The project was a gift but nothing original of mine is in it.

I used this alphabet page as a background. I used a deckled ruler to tear the edges, and then touched the edges all around with Distress Ink, and touched the page here and there. Then I glued it to an 8x10" canvas that I had painted with raw umber. To add some texture I spread out a piece of plain white tissue paper and glued it down too:

Jacob, wip 3.jpg

The gel medium skin with the image transfer had been sitting for a bit while I worked on prepping the canvas. Once that thing dries completely, it's pretty tough. I cut it easily with craft scissors so I just had the walking figure. I positioned it where the letters wouldn't show through his face, but of course overall the transparency is the fun part!

I also taught myself how to make an inexpensive, plain frame for the canvas. I used a miter box and saw, and just to keep things simple, only cut 90 degree angles of thin lattice wood strips (not try to angle then together at 45 degrees like regular frames). I nailed the four sides into the frame and then painted it the same raw umber acrylic as the background of the canvas.

Final piece:

Jacob pic view in frame.jpg

You can see the letters through his clothing. This one took longer than I thought it would (don't they all? :rolleyes: ) because I'm slow when trying new things. But my son (who took the picture) and daughter in law love it. They had no idea I was doing anything so I had no time pressure and that's the way I like it! :LOL: It was a surprise box in the mail.

All comments and C&C welcomed and appreciated. Thanks for looking!

Super cool. I showed it to my cousin’s husband who is a professional photographer and he thought it was cool as well.

Super cool indeed! That’s an amazing result, Terri, and even better because it has meaning to your family! Distress ink is fun stuff and it was perfect for the edges. Great job on the frame!

Super cool. I showed it to my cousin’s husband who is a professional photographer and he thought it was cool as well.
Nice! I'm tickled that you showed it to another photographer and that he liked it. Thanks for the kind words, Wayne! ❤️

Super cool indeed! That’s an amazing result, Terri, and even better because it has meaning to your family! Distress ink is fun stuff and it was perfect for the edges. Great job on the frame!
Thank you, Donna! ❤️ I agree about the Distress ink - a neat thing to have around and this is just the kind project it can help. :)

This turned out beautifully. I love your choice for the background too, it just came together wonderfully. ❤️ ❤️

This is so special, Terri, I can see why they loved it! You say nothing original was yours and yet without your creativity this would not exist. Thanks for explaining your process. Well done!

This is a thrilling piece. I love everything about it and it's just so original. You just rock! Your ideas sweep me off my feet. ♥️

I think I recently showed (in the What Are You Working On? thread) the acrylic gel medium image transfer that I was working on.

A brief reminder:

View attachment 39456

It worked so well, and I like the transparency. Anyway. I didn't take this photo, and the alphabet background page for this mixed media piece came from a book of art ephemera. The project was a gift but nothing original of mine is in it.

I used this alphabet page as a background. I used a deckled ruler to tear the edges, and then touched the edges all around with Distress Ink, and touched the page here and there. Then I glued it to an 8x10" canvas that I had painted with raw umber. To add some texture I spread out a piece of plain white tissue paper and glued it down too:

View attachment 39457

The gel medium skin with the image transfer had been sitting for a bit while I worked on prepping the canvas. Once that thing dries completely, it's pretty tough. I cut it easily with craft scissors so I just had the walking figure. I positioned it where the letters wouldn't show through his face, but of course overall the transparency is the fun part!

I also taught myself how to make an inexpensive, plain frame for the canvas. I used a miter box and saw, and just to keep things simple, only cut 90 degree angles of thin lattice wood strips (not try to angle then together at 45 degrees like regular frames). I nailed the four sides into the frame and then painted it the same raw umber acrylic as the background of the canvas.

Final piece:

View attachment 39458

You can see the letters through his clothing. This one took longer than I thought it would (don't they all? :rolleyes: ) because I'm slow when trying new things. But my son (who took the picture) and daughter in law love it. They had no idea I was doing anything so I had no time pressure and that's the way I like it! :LOL: It was a surprise box in the mail.

All comments and C&C welcomed and appreciated. Thanks for looking!
Love these. Thanks for the how to info. Very interesting.

Back