Recent art that you liked

Somehow I'm guessing your friend would be the target of the easily butthurt cancel culture today... regardless of his intentions. That first piece reminds me of R. Crumb's infamous Angelfood McSpade:

AMRC.jpg

119918238_921340011722901_174341846595024675_n.jpg

Crumb, a great satirist, employed a broad array of stereotypes. One might call him an equal opportunity offender... beginning with mocking himself more than anyone.

My former studio mate... yeah, THAT one... used Angelfood McSpade on a product design that he did in Art School back in the 1960s. He stupidly couldn't figure out how anyone might be offended.

I have a book of incredible grave statues. (I think I still have it?) Some of them are so beautiful they'd make you weep. This sort of reminds me of one of those.

Erwin Panofsky, the art historian, wrote a classic book on the subject: Tomb Sculpture. I was actually going to begin a thread on the subject.

I think it's a little different when African Americans use these stereotypes to make a point, or perhaps they don't become such a target as say a white artist using them. Just my take. It's like using your personal pain and experience in your work and some might say that a white artist employing these kinds of images are quite disingenuous in comparison. You know, apples/oranges? Like, when your studio mate (if I recall correctly) using holocaust/WWII imagery in his work. I'm guessing he was a Jew? If not, it strikes me as odd, or provocative.

Yes. I have no doubt that Crumb outraged many. I question taking offense after much of what is deemed "cultural appropriation"... unless such is intended to mock another culture. Even then it is difficult to know the artist's intent.

I was asked in one of the independent drawing/painting classes I was taking to maintain my license, why none of the women... or men... in my paintings were African-American. I told her that I felt the issue was loaded. There are those who would take offense at a white artist painting an African-American... especially if she were nude or nearly-nude. On the other hand, is avoidance of African-American models a form of racism? Hell, just painting women as a male artist is enough to offend some. With time, however, I came to realize that the only thing an artist can do is be honest to him or herself and paint what and how one wants without worrying what others might think.

Dita von Teese, the burlesque artist (again!) put it well when she declared: "You can be the ripest, juiciest peach in the world, and there's still going to be somebody who hates peaches.”

I used to believe that Art was or could be universal. I still believe this to be true in the sense that anyone can appreciate some works of art. I no longer believe in the notion of any work of art pleasing everyone.

My studio-mate was/is Jewish... although he did works about any number of genocides: Armenia, the Inquisition, the Spanish incursion into South and Central America, Mao's Cultural Revolution, African-American slavery. More than once he made it clear that he chose the subjects he did because he imagined only grand tragedies might be taken seriously as art. He also imagined that such themes could get him into various museums dedicated to a given social group: Jews, African-Americans, Armenians, etc... When he got rejected from a number of museums with his Holocaust works he planned on sending the directors all another packet filled with ashes and a note reading: "May the ashes of the dead be upon you!" We had to talk him out of it. We pointed out that the very idea struck us as profiteering off of the suffering of others. We also noted that this was shortly after a number of incidents involving toxins being sent to various political leaders through the mail and we argued he didn't need the FBI beating down his door.

Yes, you mentioned the thing about the ashes in the past. That is unfortunate that he was bitter in this way. Was he younger? That sounds like something a younger artist with a crushed ego would do.

Oh...by the way, I have painted a few portraits of black people before, and African scenes. I never got too many comments about it. Maybe one here or there. I painted a lot of fashion models and a couple were black and the other ones were of tribes and such. It was just where my interests were at the time. I didn't think about it. I think loaded racial stereotypes are much different though.

No... he was in his late 60s at that time. His problem was that he was a horrible craftsman. Well... that and his personality. He was born quite well-to-do with some very wealthy friends and connections. Part owners of major-league baseball teams, for example. He would get these guys to come into the studio... and then he'd act like a jerk. I can't count the number of times he felt the need to insult the taste of wealthy collectors. He's now in the process of leaving the same studio that I left 4 months ago due to repeated racial slurs directed at the new tenants. I can't say how much of this is due to the Parkinsons. He's going to need to hire 4 or more guys to help move, pay for 2 or 3 dumpsters to throw out a lot of his crap, and rent a large truck to move the rest to a storage rental space and his apartment. My other former studio partner and I might have chipped in a bit to help him but we are so overwhelmed with learning the technology required for teaching online.

Somehow I'm guessing your friend would be the target of the easily butthurt cancel culture today... regardless of his intentions. That first piece reminds me of R. Crumb's infamous Angelfood McSpade.

Very frequently, it's not the black folks who are offended, but virtue-signaling white liberals. :)

Around here we have a bloke called Anton Kannemeyer, who has become notorious for his merciless satire, supposedly offensive to blacks. And perhaps it is too, to some, but they miss the point: what he is satirizing is, for the most part, white perceptions, guilt, political correctness etc. His pictures are not so much about black folks as about how they are seen by whites, specifically a particular brand of white pseudo-liberal. We have/had many of those around here: they waved placards against apartheid, but knew no black people personally (apart from the black servant and gardener - "but we treat them well"). They angrily demanded that apartheid end, but the moment it did, they started emigrating in droves.

Ultimately, they are the people who see black folks the way Kannemeyer depicts them - as blackface abstractions and caricatures.

Anton Kannemeyer - Black woman.jpg

Anton Kannemeyer - Habitat.jpg

Anton Kannemeyer - White guilt.jpg

And the white liberals' worst nightmare:

Anton Kannemeyer - New boyfriend.jpg

He's not too amused with cancel culture:

I was asked in one of the independent drawing/painting classes I was taking to maintain my license, why none of the women... or men... in my paintings were African-American. I told her that I felt the issue was loaded. There are those who would take offense at a white artist painting an African-American... especially if she were nude or nearly-nude. On the other hand, is avoidance of African-American models a form of racism? Hell, just painting women as a male artist is enough to offend some. With time, however, I came to realize that the only thing an artist can do is be honest to him or herself and paint what and how one wants without worrying what others might think.

Yup, you can't win on that point. Paint black folks, and you are guilty of cultural appropriation. Don't paint them, and you are guilty of ignoring or marginalizing them. Paint images of apartheid police laying into black protestors with whips, and you are guilty of commenting on stuff you can't possibly really understand. Paint bland flower still life instead, and you are guilty of ignoring the world's issues and merely catering to bourgeois taste.

It's not about what you paint. It's about who you are, and being a white man renders you guilty and tainted with original sin, automatically, irrespective of what you do or say. It is precisely for that reason that apologizing to these folks is the very worst thing you can do, because they have never once, that I am aware of, graciously accepted a heartfelt apology. On the contrary, in their eyes it simply confirms your guilt, and the moment you apologize the attacks intensify. They are after all not out to merely punish you a bit. They aim to cancel you, destroy your entire life and career, unmake you.

Why? Just possibly because in your work, or whatever it was you said or tweeted, they see themselves reflected.

It's not about what you paint. It's about who you are, and being a white man renders you guilty and tainted with original sin, automatically, irrespective of what you do or say. It is precisely for that reason that apologizing to these folks is the very worst thing you can do, because they have never once, that I am aware of, graciously accepted a heartfelt apology. On the contrary, in their eyes it simply confirms your guilt, and the moment you apologize the attacks intensify. They are after all not out to merely punish you a bit. They aim to cancel you, destroy your entire life and career, unmake you.

Why? Just possibly because in your work, or whatever it was you said or tweeted, they see themselves reflected.

Who, exactly, hasn't accepted a heartfelt apology, Brian? Who are they? Do you mean the victims of the Apartheid (black people), or these so-called white liberal people you are speaking about that do not really know about the black experience?

I don't want to make this thread about racist, or sexism either. But I don't agree that being a white male automatically renders one "guilty and tainted with original sin." In whose eyes exactly? That is a blanket generalization on both ends of whatever spectrum you may be speaking (men and women), if it is in fact a gender thing. This society is fixated on gender opposites, of which I, for one, do not agree upon. There are many people with me on that even if I fall into the minority. If people keep thinking in stereotypes and generalizations, there will never be change for human beings at all. Racism needs more acknowledgment, and sometimes the uproar is needed if there's going to be any movement at all. Yes, a lot of people that don't really understand jump on the bandwagon in the wrong way with confused intentions, but at least that brings the subject to the forefront and there can finally be a conversation about it. People are always learning and growing and trying to get it right. It's not about an apology or canceling anyone out. It's about moving forward so everyone can live together and understand each other a little better. No one is going to fully get it 100% on all sides, but if we can be a society that tries, it's better than a society that ignores.

I was only introducing a new artist into the thread who I love and respect. Yes, he appropriates racial stereotypes and he himself is black. Some white artists do it and have varying points for doing it, and everything depends on specific elements, but anyone is free do do what they like, even to be provocative, or to make significant points. Like I've said before, you can not control how people interpret your work or criticize it. That's part of the risk you take as an artist in putting your work out there no matter who you are.

Who, exactly, hasn't accepted a heartfelt apology, Brian? Who are they? Do you mean the victims of the Apartheid (black people), or these so-called white liberal people you are speaking about that do not really know about the black experience?

I was thinking of specific subsets of radical feminists, some of the more fanatical BLM folks, some of South Africa's more crazy politicians, etc. I like to think they're a radical fringe; I fear for us if they should become mainstream.

What seems radical to some might be regular old justice to another. Everyone has to tolerate everyone else regardless of our views.

Perhaps time to restart this thread on the new forum? By "recent art" I mean not only recently completed art, but anything you recently saw. I'll start off with one of my favorite living artists, Aron Wiesenfeld, who seems to have developed a new way of working with pen.

View attachment 1137

Very cool... this is the kinda thing I like. Hard to do.

Murat Palta:
Murat Palta is a Turkish artist working in Istanbul who employs a painting manner rooted in traditional Middle Eastern illuminated manuscripts applied to Western narratives from literature, film, and television:

smurfs_comp-copy2.750.jpg

-Ottoman Smurfs

q7j3v3r1o2j41.750.jpg

-Ottoman Sesame Street

fahrenheit_451-e1501618128350.750.jpg

-Ottoman Fahrenheit 451

mobydick.750.jpg

-Moby Dick (This is my favorite)

ottoman-A-Clockwork-Orange.jpg

-Clockwork Orange

ottoman-Scarface.jpg

-Ottoman Scarface

OIP.jpg

-Ottoman Batman

marsattacks_68x85-e1501619341670.750.jpg

-Ottoman Mars Attacks

Kill Bill.jpg

-Kill Bill

ottoman-Godfather.jpg

-Ottoman Godfather

I recently stumbled upon the paintings of Timothy Curtis. He offers little info about himself. His website reads:

Born last century in Philadelphia, PA

Self-taught as an artist

Works and lives in Brooklyn New York.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

His work strikes me as combining elements of Dubuffet and Phillip Guston with graffiti and cartoons.

Back