Recent art that you liked

Tim-Burton-s-artwork-nightmare-before-christmas-18348221-500-417.jpg

Tim Burton

It has been so much fun looking at all these art styles and artists that I have never seen!

The artist below (Ron Francis) used to post on wetcanvas, but I don’t think he is a member here. He does paintings from his imagination, creates his reference images with software, and then makes oil paintings from them.

Ron Francis  Downhill.jpg

This one of the boy on the skateboard always makes my heart stop. He seems to be asking himself, “Should I do this? It might be a bit risky and it might end badly, but it could be fun!”

Ron Francis Up Stairs - small.jpg

This one is probably obvious, but it sure reminds me of the difficulties of getting older and needing to do things that you might not be able to, like walking up a steep flight of stairs because you really want to vote, and it's on the second floor.

ron Francis Voyuer small.jpg

I assume this guy is a voyeur and not a thief. Sort of reminds me of some of the earlier pictures that were posted here where I felt like I was looking in on a private moment. In his case, it is probably very private!

Ron Francis You Slay me.jpg

I guess someone broke his heart sometime, somewhere.

I like the way these paintings sort of follow on from each other ( at least for me). Cool choices🙂

Hong Ling
Hong Ling.jpg

hong ling2.jpg

hog ling 3.jpg

Born in Beijing in 1955, the artist Hong Ling studied oil painting in the years after the Chinese Cultural Revolution (1966–76). In the mountains of rural China, however, his brush found a new path. Drawing together the imported medium of oil on canvas with the landscapes and philosophies of China’s artistic heritage, Hong Ling has made a contribution to the world of Chinese landscape painting unparalleled in its vibrancy. As exhilarating as they are immersive, Hong Ling’s paintings stand as an invitation to join him in the landscape that is his home and his inspiration.

000d10b9-614.jpg

White Poplars in the Temple of Heaven, 1979

000d10bc-614.jpg

A Peak of Reds, 2014

000d10bb-614.jpg

Drunk In Frozen Forest, 2011

000d10bd-614.jpg

Misty Rain in Xiao-Xiang, 1993

000d10be-614.jpg

Four Seasons, 2001/2001/2000/2001

000d10bf-614.jpg

Snow Dome, 2000

000d10c1-614.jpg

Spiritual Intuition 2, 2013

000d10c2-614.jpg

Rainbow-like, 2015

000d10c3-614.jpg

Cold Snow, 1991

000d10c4-614.jpg

Diffuse Spring, 2014.

Hong Ling: A Retrospective, Chester Beatty Library Dublin until 29 January 2017

All images © Hong Ling. Courtesy Soka Art

Somehow I pasted the whole page when I just wanted one of the images. Hope that's OK.

Last edited:
As per her own words, she actually travelled in the South of France where, many years earlier, Mr. Cezanne painted his famous Quarry of Bibemus. Her inspiration.

Where do you find these artists SLG? Yeah that top Ferguson is great art IMO. That kind of almost real surealism is fascinating. It's beautiful but unsettling and makes one fill in the narrative. Are they aliens? Are they just pollen? Is it referring to transpermia? I almost wish I hadn't seen the title first as it is so influential to the interpretation, but once seen layers on another way of seeing it. Maybe the angels are aliens that seeded the earth. Maybe the angels aren't so angelic. Satan was an angel.

It's one of those paintings though that one wonders..... who would hang this in their house? It's interesting that some of the best art is the least amenable to hanging on the living room walls. Good reason to have other rooms in the house I suppose.

"Norman Rockwell meets H.P. Lovecraft." lol

Last edited:
I suppose, if perish forbid I'd actually need to make a statement, it might have gone something like this.

"I make stuff that's nice to look at. There's no meaning in it other than what you bring to it. Do you like it? Then buy it. If you aren't quite sure, I don't care, because somebody else will, and you'll be sorry. So unless you like the idea of beating yourself up when you find out it's gone, act now. Cash is always appreciated, but a check will do."
How about a wire transfer?? PayPal??

exceptional, wonderful draw by Jacob Jordaens,
how nice, it's like seeing the drawings of Michelangelo, Leonardo or Pontormo, fantastic,
I'm looking for his other designs,

and I have to see the paintings, Rubens is wonderful.

great post for all the paintings and artists posted, thank you all

Back