Recent art that you liked

pb1.jpg

pb2.jpg

pb3.jpg

pb4.jpg

Peter Brown is a Bath (England) based artist, an all-weather painter of street scenes and city landscapes. Known for working directly from his subject, he is more affectionately known as ‘Pete the Street’.

These are nice, I think. I like how they’re so loose and gestural and somehow, in all of them...the light of each different day is captured so precisely. I always enjoy a good contrast....

The top one is amazing. His reflection in the window. Are we seeing out the window? The perfect level of realism vs impressionism. There are windows in all of them. Windows, they always work. Never gets old.

I like this young (25yo) British-Nigerian artist. She's been painting pictures from old family photos and because I just did a few myself (but nowhere near as good), she caught my eye. I think her work is kind of a mix of cubism, mosaics and jigsaws. And the color is just fantastic...bold and loud and happily in your face.

JOY LABINJO HAS A LOT OF JOY...

joyl1.jpg

joyl3.jpg

joyl2.jpg

joyl4.jpg

Felix Vallotton , one of the Les Nabis. I like all of them. They moved impressionism into abstraction. I like that combo. Maybe this is how I want to paint now. I've been trying to find something. Seems I keep circling back to Les Nabis. I know St Lukes likes them also, maybe more for the figurative.

Félix_Vallotton,_1895c_-_Clair_de_lune.jpg
Vallotton-Felix-Flood-at-Houlgate-Sun.jpg
Vallotton.jpg

Last edited:
John, that last piece in that grouping almost reminds me of Kandinsky--the way the sunrays pass into each other. Nice paintings.

Albert Birkle (1900 - 86), a German expressionist so obscure he doesn't seem to even have a Wikipedia page. But I rather like some of his work that I stumbled upon:

Albert Birkle - Carrying the Cross (Friedrichstrasse) [1924] oil on canvas 91 x 217 cm small.jpg

Albert Birkle - Carrying the Cross (Friedrichstrasse) [1924], oil on canvas 91 x 217 cm

Albert Birkle - Der Akrobat Schulz V, Tempera On Paper, 1921 small.jpg

Albert Birkle - Der Akrobat Schulz V, Tempera On Paper, 1921

Albert Birkle - Der Bahnwaerter Oil on card 103 x 72 cm.jpg

Albert Birkle - Der Bahnwaerter Oil on card 103 x 72 cm

Albert Birkle - Der Postagent Hausler (The Telegraph Operator), 1927 small.jpg

Albert Birkle - Der Postagent Hausler (The Telegraph Operator), 1927

Miguel Àngel Mayo AKA: Golucho, was one of the leading figures (along with Antonio Lopez Garcia) of the Spanish New Realists. These artists rejected Modernism and turned toward an art based upon direct observation in the tradition of Velazquez.

Golucho6.jpg

Golucho9.700.jpg

Golucho10.jpg

image.jpg

Golucho13.jpg

The last painting with the painting within a painting definitely recalls Velazquez... especially Las Meninas. I especially appreciate the use of contemporary elements and colors within the dark tonal paintings that are rooted in the Baroque. This engages me more than the tonal paintings by the followers of Odd Nerdrum that strike me as imitations of Baroque tonal paintings... with nothing that speaks of the present.

This engages me more than the tonal paintings by the followers of Odd Nerdrum that strike me as imitations of Baroque tonal paintings... with nothing that speaks of the present.

Reminds me of Edward Hopper…

Back