Recent art that you liked

Expressionism is great. I think it's somewhat related to a genre I've been moving toward which is "magic realism". Which has been referred to as post-expressionism. And that's probably why I like the Millet painting above. It has that magic mysteriousness.

And I realize now that it also looks a bit like Christina's World which is also a great example of magic realism and something that has always struck me, as the expressionist Munch paintings do. That might also be why it resonated with me when I saw it. It has the same basic composition.

I've only heard the term "magical realism" as a genre in writing, and I'm not even sure I've been able to understand its definition in that. Sometimes these terms are written out and defined and later get morphed into something else altogether. Or they can be interpreted differently by different individuals, but if enough people interpret it in a certain kind of way, that's the kind of term it becomes. Something that's complete fantasy (in my opinion) is pegged as magical realism, or something avante-garde is. Writing genres are as confusing as art genres.

I've only heard the term "magical realism" as a genre in writing, and I'm not even sure I've been able to understand its definition in that. Sometimes these terms are written out and defined and later get morphed into something else altogether. Or they can be interpreted differently by different individuals, but if enough people interpret it in a certain kind of way, that's the kind of term it becomes. Something that's complete fantasy (in my opinion) is pegged as magical realism, or something avante-garde is. Writing genres are as confusing as art genres.

Yeah it's applied to literature and film also. Peter Doig's work is considered magic realism. It's not quite expressionism nor is it surrealism. It's real stuff presented as a strange thing or strange way. Some of Hopper's work is magic realism and it's argued whether he was just a realist but I think there is something more magic there. There is something "off" in his realism. That's the magic part.

But the whole thing is rather confusing. It also overlaps with "new romanticism" which Doig's work has also been considered as.

As far as in film, "Being John Malkovich" is an example. Great movie, I just recently watched for the first time. In literature Kafka's Metamorphosis is given as an example. Haven't read it.

Yes, I see it. It's just not as consistent as I'd like it to be, I guess, for me to understand it completely. I understand Kafka. But what else? I remember asking someone in a magical realism group if a story of mine about a talking dog (through a picture frame) would fit in, and they said no and wouldn't let it in the group. Yet Kafka could consider himself a fly.

I often see Magical Realism mentioned in regard to Gabriel Garcia Marquez's novel, One Hundred Years of Solitude, a book which I have not read. That is the breadth and depth of my contribution to the conversation 😝

Anyway, here's what I see happening - John supplies the prompts tor next month's Magical Realism Challenge. Meanwhile, we all do our homework.

I often see Magical Realism mentioned in regard to Gabriel Garcia Marquez's novel, One Hundred Years of Solitude, a book which I have not read. That is the breadth and depth of my contribution to the conversation 😝

Anyway, here's what I see happening - John supplies the prompts tor next month's Magical Realism Challenge. Meanwhile, we all do our homework.

Yes it's a big thing in Latin America. Frida Kahlo is in the camp.

Art historians also classify Kahlo's art as Magical Realism. Magical Realism is a style of literature and art that depicts a realistic view of the modern world while also adding magical elements. Unlike surrealists, magical realists don't probe the unconscious or dreams.Jun 1, 2020
https://www.1000museums.com/frida-kahlo-art-magical-realism/#:~:text=Art historians also classify Kahlo's,probe the unconscious or dreams.

Frida Kahlo's Art through the Lens of Magical Realism

https://www.1000museums.com/frida-kahlo-art-magical-realism/#:~:text=Art historians also classify Kahlo's,probe the unconscious or dreams.
but this painting is under primitivism and surrealism also.......go figure. Maybe, because it's dreamlike?

my-dress-hangs-there-1933.jpg!Large.jpg

My Dress Hangs There 1933

Prompts for such a challenge? Maybe. Might be confusing but fun. And I'm finishing the touches on a painting that is, I think, in the genre and will post over in the contemp.. thread when ready.

Last edited:
Yes, I see it. It's just not as consistent as I'd like it to be, I guess, for me to understand it completely. I understand Kafka. But what else? I remember asking someone in a magical realism group if a story of mine about a talking dog (through a picture frame) would fit in, and they said no and wouldn't let it in the group. Yet Kafka could consider himself a fly.
It sounds to me like your story would fit the genre. That person was probably wrong.

At least in painting, the lines between expressionism, magic realism and surrealism seem a little blurry as should be expected. As much as the scientist in me wants to put it in a neat box. I don't like this nuance thing. Things, like paintings are rarely black and white.

Arturo Kameya

It's interesting to see what is in the big galleries around the world as Mary Ann shows us. It's often so different than what I normally consider and proves that recent high end contemp art is really hard to pin down but it is rarely just "pretty".

Last edited:

Ha! I love this idea!

Ha! I love this idea!
Good luck distinguishing it from surrealism! I saw the below painting by Alberto Savinio (brother of de Chirico!) described as Magic Realism. I really like it and I learned something when I found it, so I'm grateful to john for mentioning Magical Realism :)
alberto-savinio-la-for%C3%AAt-dans-lappartement.jpg

Arturo Kameya

It's interesting to see what is in the big galleries around the world as Mary Ann shows us. It's often so different than what I normally consider and proves that recent high end contemp art is really hard to pin down but it is rarely just "pretty".
Two of those galleries are among my favorites. Nino Mier and Andrew Kreps. I like a lot of the artist's work they show.

Not much different, is it?

Depends which ones but like "Persistance of Memory" is surrealism - even though in Google images it's listed as magic realism - and "Christina's World" is magic realism. Surrealism is more bizarre with unreal shapes and things, whereas Magic Realism is generally real things in weird contexts. The more I look at it the more obvious it's becoming.

Max Ernst.......surrealism. Hopper....magic realism.

Depends which ones but like "Persistance of Memory" is surrealism - even though in Google images it's listed as magic realism - and "Christina's World" is magic realism. Surrealism is more bizarre with unreal shapes and things, whereas Magic Realism is generally real things in weird contexts. The more I look at it the more obvious it's becoming.

Max Ernst.......surrealism. Hopper....magic realism.
I think the two are so closely linked it becomes open to the viewer's response. Personally, I see nothing "magic" in "Christina's World", just the powerful feeling of something being off (the body posture, the near-skeletal rear arm) in a stark, but seemingly normal, scene. Same with Hopper - nothing magical is going on the diner, yet powerful feelings of isolation are conveyed, under the harshness of the lighting. And maybe I'm taking the word "magic" too literally, but I think the above mentioned paintings can convey mystery and emotion without a supernatural element - which is certainly how I think of "magic".

I have less trouble identifying Surrealism. Very easy to put Kahlo and Dali there.

I think the two are so closely linked it becomes open to the viewer's response. Personally, I see nothing "magic" in "Christina's World", just the powerful feeling of something being off (the body posture, the near-skeletal rear arm) in a stark, but seemingly normal, scene. Same with Hopper - nothing magical is going on the diner, yet powerful feelings of isolation are conveyed, under the harshness of the lighting. And maybe I'm taking the word "magic" too literally, but I think the above mentioned paintings can convey mystery and emotion without a supernatural element - which is certainly how I think of "magic".

I have less trouble identifying Surrealism. Very easy to put Kahlo and Dali there.

Yeah I agree, Hopper and Christina's World" don't seem to have enough magic. But I guess it's the mood. Peter Doig's paintings aren't really that weird or supernatural either. More about the mood.

Kahlo is also known as a magic realist. But she herself wasn't sure, didn't care it seems....“Really I do not know whether my paintings are surrealist or not, but I know that they are the frankest expression of myself.”

Dali for sure.

Although the distinction is difficult I think it's interesting to think about. For a little while and then my head hurts. :)

My head hurts too. It's still not really clear to me. Then again, my own art is not clear to me either. I've always not known what KIND of art I make.

Back