Recent art that you liked

I've been following this guy, Rob Lyon, a self-taught landscape painter from a rural parcel of Southern England.

RL2022025-1000px.jpg

Judy Bowman is a retired principal of the Detroit Academy of Arts and Science. Once retired, she was able to focus on her own art and in recent years is working almost exclusively in collage and mixed media.

Mom on Seneca:

Bowman, Judy - Mom On Seneca.png

Hurry Home:

Bowman, Judy - Hurry Home.png

My Cup Runneth Over:

Bowman, Judy - My Cup Runneth Over.png

I'm loving the bright colors and tableaux. The cutouts make me think of Matisse.

Thanks for posting these Terri. I love her colour sense, the uncomprising flatness and no giving an inch to perspective, yet still creating a real depth sensation in the first one.

These are cool, Terri! Very alive!
The top one makes me think of ArtyAyin.
Right?!? I couldn't help but see similarities with the bright colors and patterns. I hope they like these. :)

Bowman uses fabrics and paper cutouts, and lord knows what else. I could have posted a lot more and had to curb my enthusiasm. :LOL:

Thanks for posting these Terri. I love her colour sense, the uncomprising flatness and no giving an inch to perspective, yet still creating a real depth sensation in the first one.
Yes - they really make you look closer, don't they? I'd love to see them in person, I'd love to examine her layering.

She's very in your face with her designs.

Wow! I love her work Terri! I am JEALOUS! And also flattered that Lamar is reminded of me when looking at the top one, which is my favorite one. I only wish I could get all that detail into one piece of art. I can only do something like that with collage and never with painting, so she is giving me lots more ideas to come back to some of my collage work. THANK YOU for posting her work! ❤️ ❤️ ❤️

I was pretty sure that you'd like her stuff, Ayin. All the patterns and bright colors seemed right up your alley. :) Yay!

I'm finding her rather inspirational, too!

I'm a huge fan of the American painter Joan Mitchell, so last week I just had to visit her major retrospective at the Fondation Louis Vuitton, the first time there has been a substantial exhibition of her work in Europe, and probably the only chance I'd get to see it all in one place. Plus it was nearly my birthday is my excuse...

The FLV is an impressive place set in parkland about 5 km from the centre of Paris, an appropriate venue since JM spend much of the latter part of her life living outside Paris.

FLV.png

The exhibition was billed as 'Monet-Mitchell' as it included some of Monet's larger works.
mm.png

However, the bulk of the space was dedicated to Mitchell, with perhaps 60-80 of her paintings (as against a dozen or so of Monet's)

jm.png

The exhibition included most of her best known works such as City Landscape (below), her 1955 painting that captured my interest in the first place. (Best look away now if you don't like abstract expressionism :))

citylandscape.png

As I queued for 30 mins on a midweek afternoon I was cursing the Monet link as I imagine that's who was bringing in the crowds (maybe I'm wrong about that). But afterwards I came to the conclusion that it was a clever ploy to get more exposure to JM's work: while many may well have turned up for the Monet, I think Mitchell's work would have left a far bigger impression. There is no question that the Monets looked really dull and washed out next to JM's exuberant and vibrant canvases (mostly diptychs/tryptychs).

Here's a few pics. Most of them are this size or larger:

jm4.png

jm2.png

jm3.png

jm1.png

jm6.png

I was familiar with many of the paintings after reading the excellent 2021 book by Sarah Roberts, but seeing them in the flesh was an amazing, highly emotional and unforgettable experience. The energy in the marks, esp. in the early works, is really apparent, and her control of colour was masterful.

Did anyone else manage to catch the exhibition?

Last edited by a moderator:
What a great post Martin. I have never been a super huge fan of her work, but what you have posted is really exciting, especially the first/top piece. I love some of these pieces very much, and I really like how the museum booked the show together with Monet. It was clever. ❤️

I'm happy you like them and even got a lesson from one, Wayne! (Curious about that.)
I once tried to paint a piece flat color but distinguishing different planesvwith different colours without the use of atmospheric coloring. No blending just solid color. I was very displeased with the end result and what I see in the painting above is that there are only two sections fully one color. White and black. The distance is achieved by having those two solids occupy only one plane in the picture. The lady and the cup. That put all else behind or in front of that plane. Interesting indeed.

I once tried to paint a piece flat color but distinguishing different planesvwith different colours without the use of atmospheric coloring. No blending just solid color. I was very displeased with the end result and what I see in the painting above is that there are only two sections fully one color. White and black. The distance is achieved by having those two solids occupy only one plane in the picture. The lady and the cup. That put all else behind or in front of that plane. Interesting indeed.
Okay, now I get that! In respect to planes, her collage work is mildly 3D - note the shadows her work throws when photos are taken. She uses relief, like a terrain-model map, as the collage builds, and that plane extends forward/outward. It's trippy stuff.

I'm thinking it should hold to the similar principal .. I could be wrong .. I don't have the ambition or desire to try it right now. Think I"ll just have a nap. :)

Last week I visited the Action, Gesture, Paint exhibition at the Whitechapel Gallery in London which is showing the abstract expressionist work of 81 different women from the period 1940-1970, including well known painters such as the protagonists of the book 9th Street Women (Helen Frankenthaler, Grace Hartigan, Lee Krasner, Elaine de Kooning, Joan Mitchell) and plenty more besides.

If you like abstraction and can get to London before 7th May, I'd really recommend this exhibition. For me, the stand-out works were by painters I'd not come across before. Here's a couple of works I particularly liked.

Audrey Flack (b. 1931) Abstract Force: Homage to Franz Kline, painted 1951-52

flack.jpg

Emiko Nakano (1925- 1990) Composition in Yellow (1957)

nakano.jpg

Amaranth Ehrenhalt (1928-2021) Carmona, 1957

ehrenhalt.jpg

Here's a collage of 8 close-ups I took (yes, I like getting my nose as close to the canvas as possible...) just to give a bit of the flavour and energy of this style of art

collage.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back