Recent art that you liked

Wow - what a stunner! I love this muted palette, the movement, and the small lone figure instantly gives a story.

Terrific! ❤️

Ain't that the truth! That's the way the art world spins. I pretty much have different descriptions for every page (series) of work, and the main page just has an overall description with a critic's quote on it who made a comparison to Paul Klee! :)
I just read it - yay!!! ❤️

One of Aron Wiesenfeld's latest works...

View attachment 30174

Aron Wiesenfeld - Oncoming, 2023. Oil on canvas, 13 x 20 in.

Magic realism. Love this one. Is that train even running? She's without a station. The wind moves though.

Here he talks about his painting as magic realism, confirming my thinking.

Last edited:
brianvds- I have long been a bit ambivalent about Italian Renaissance art, in that, with a lot of it, I greatly admire it without actually liking it all that much. I have no doubt StLukes will lynch me for quoting Georgia O'Keeffe here, who was more blunt: she found much of it "vulgar" when she finally got to see it in person in Italy. Now, she wasn't half as great an artist as Michelangelo, but I know exactly what she meant.

Considering how bad I find most of Georgia O'Keefe's paintings to be, I can't say I'd have the least concern for anything she had to say about any artist. As for "vulgarity"... Picasso's famous quote comes to mind: "Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness." Certainly, there are a good many "old masters" who push the limits of "tastefulness" and I would no doubt include Michelangelo, Tintoretto, Rubens, Rembrandt, J.L. David, Courbet, Van Gogh, Picasso, ... and a great many others I admire among them.

brianvds- Yup, I have long given up on trying to appear sophisticated by liking all the right things. Truth is, I'm a country bumpkin.

Well... we like what we like. I don't quite believe we can be educated into liking what is deemed the best and most worthy. I still am left rather cold by much of Cezanne and there are only a few works by Toulouse-Lautrec... mostly posters... that I really like. I also realize that our taste changes over time. I initially had very little use for Gaugin who I now greatly admire. The same is true for me of Pop Art. Over time, I also came to admire Abstract Expressionism... although most of the gushing critical accolades of its adherents... especially Greenberg... an achingly over-inflated and I find a lot of the work by contemporaries who were dismissed (Wyeth!) to be far more interesting. Returning to the issue of "tastefulness" I might note that the Ab-Ex painter I like most may have been the most "tasteful" and that's Robert Motherwell... while Minimalism was surely one of the least "vulgar" movements in art... and also the bost boring IMO.

Iaika- Finding German Expressionism practically made me forget to like "all the right things" for a while there.

Honestly, I find German Expressionism to have been one of the strongest movements within Modernism. With the exception of Matisse, it certainly strikes me as better than most of the French Expressionism that was championed by MoMA and American critics for years... and it certainly has been a lasting influence on artists such as those of the California/San Francisco figurative painters, Francis Bacon, and the Neo-Expressionists.

john- Expressionism is great. I think it's somewhat related to a genre I've been moving toward which is "magic realism". Which has been referred to as post-expressionism. And that's probably why I like the Millet painting above. It has that magic mysteriousness.

And I realize now that it also looks a bit like Christina's World which is also a great example of magic realism and something that has always struck me, as the expressionist Munch paintings do.

I don't see too much of a link between Expressionism and Magic Realism except... perhaps... in mood. I've never really thought of Christina's World as akin to Magic Realism... but perhaps, like Wyeth's great hero, Albrecht Dürer... the extreme hyperrealism has something unreal or even magical about it.

Munch? Yes! He is an artist I long admired who has only increased in my esteem following the somewhat recent retrospective of his work. For a long time, it seemed he was only recognized for his early works... that from his first 10 or 15 years... but his later work is surprisingly fine as well.

Artyczar- I've only heard the term "magical realism" as a genre in writing, and I'm not even sure I've been able to understand its definition in that. Sometimes these terms are written out and defined and later get morphed into something else altogether. Or they can be interpreted differently by different individuals, but if enough people interpret it in a certain kind of way, that's the kind of term it becomes. Something that's complete fantasy (in my opinion) is pegged as magical realism, or something avante-garde is. Writing genres are as confusing as art genres.

Yes, Magic Realism is a term that I have seen employed far more in speaking of literature... including Kafka, Milan Kundera, Italo Calvinos, Gogol's The Nose and especially the great Latin-America writers such as J.L. Borges, Carlos Drummond de Andrade, Julio Cortázar, Machado de Assis, Octavio Paz, Pablo Neruda, Cesar Vallejo, Mario Vargas Llosa and Carlos Fuentes. It is often conflated with Surrealism, but from my understanding, Magic Realism is not complete fantasy or unreality but rather often an art of deadpan realism with elements of the unreal or fantastic. In Art, Magic Realism seems connected with the Neue Sachlichkeit or New Objectivity...

gad_04.med.jpg

... the work of Frida Kahlo, De Chirico, Grant Wood...

BeFunky_pa_neh_05.small.jpg

... Ivan Albright, George Tooker...

tooker_image.gif

... Jared French, Paul Cadmus, etc...

Thomas Kinkaid as Surrealism?! :oops: Accck! Thomas Kinkaid is just "kitsch"... and not just kitsch but really bad kitsch. :LOL:

Among the works that I have recently discovered are several by several artists I follow:

272636935_6830076683700243_616217805931939963_n.jpg

I especially admire Daniel Maidman's recent drawings of the figure that focus on the hands.

KB.740.jpg

I haven't come across many recent posts of Kaethe Butcher's drawings... but this one is especially nice.

Yasunari+Ikejiri,+The+Nightingale+that+Doesn_t+Sing+-+Maria,+2019,+h33.3+×+w53.0+×+d2.0cm.jpg

This is the only nude or partial nude by Yasunari Ikenaga that I have ever seen... and it is an especially lovely painting. I love his subdued color harmonies.

Oh yeah. Hands. I forgot to look at the hands. I'm a suburban bumpkin I guess. I just can't look past the breasts. Or pretty Asian ladies. Gets in my way of appreciating art. The one by Daniel Maidman is very cool. Maidman? Love the "woke" name also. He's rocking the Chinese stamp signature thing. I want one or two of those stamps because I hate signing and it looks nice. That bit of red.

What I want to know, is, is this great painting considered magic realism....? If so then can we include it with Christina's World? :unsure:

;)

The one with the red signature in the style of a Japanese/Chinese chock stamp is by the German artist, Kaethe Butcher so it may have been inspired as much by the signatures in German Renaissance prints by artists such as Albrecht Dürer, Martin Schongauer, Hans Holbein, Hans Baldung Grien, etc...

88eef24e0a70e4f269793f1636e3940d.jpg

The last piece is by the Japanese painter, Yasunari Ikenaga created using traditional Japanese dry pigment painting techniques.

Thomas Kinkaid is just "kitsch"... and not just kitsch but really bad kitsch.
I jokingly mentioned him as a possible example of Magical Realism in response to something john said, but then I decided that positing him as an example might be accurate enough. His stuff represents certainly a heightened realism, what with the fantastical bloom-ladened trees and plants and the tremendous amount of light issuing from every window of his cozy cabins (I mean, what, exactly, could that light source be?).

But yeah, "really bad kitsch" for sure, but is it also really bad Magical Realism (or Surrealism) kitsch?

Kinkade's paintings had surreal lighting but were not surrealism and being absent of figures can't be magic realism either.

I joke about the Dogs Playing Poker. I think that would be considered fantasy art. Dogs are real so it's not surrealism and without opposable thumbs to hold cards it cannot be magic realism.

:)

Recently ran into the work of Vincent Giarrano:

Vincent Giarrano - Izzy on Steel Bridge 9x12 oil on panel.jpg

Vincent Giarrano - Izzy on Steel Bridge 9x12, oil on panel

Vincent Giarrano - Julia with Graffiti 4x6 oil on panel.jpg

Vincent Giarrano - Julia with Graffiti 4x6 oil on panel

Vincent Giarrano - Subway Entrance - Nocturne Oil 6 x 8 in.jpg

Vincent Giarrano - Subway Entrance - Nocturne Oil 6 x 8 in

Vincent Giarrano - Walking in Brooklyn Oil 9 x 12 in.jpg

Vincent Giarrano - Walking in Brooklyn Oil 9 x 12 in

In an article I saw his work described as photorealistic, but it is actually quite painterly, though I'm impressed with just how much detail he manages to cram into often quite small paintings. He seems to continue the tradition of 19th century realism of such folks as Manet, i.e. a concern for modern life, just as it is, though I would guess he does use more or less posed models within the urban landscape. I also notice something in his work that I have noticed in that of many other New York artists: the Big Apple is seemingly limitlessly paintable, a veritable embarrassment of riches for its artists.

I seem to specialize in liking the work of artists so obscure they don't even have a Wikipedia page, but who somehow manage to speak to me...

Stanislas Lépine (1835–1892) - Caen, le long de l'Orne, cours Caffarelli, effet de lune (c 1876).jpg

Stanislas Lépine (1835–1892) - Caen, le long de l'Orne, cours Caffarelli, effet de lune (c 1876)

Back