Recent art that you liked

Hi Terri.

I’ve been aware of Gorman for some time, especially because you see his work everywhere in the southwest. I’m not sure I like his style all that much, but he’s pretty well collected - and respected! It’s cool your mom liked him and recognized something good in his work.

Are these posters, or signed original prints? Are you going to be in possession of them now? Do you know what they’re worth?

It’s weird to me that there are so many interesting native artists around but we don’t usually know their names. Or rather, we don’t read much about them or get to see their work in person. I’ve been trying to learn more about some of the painters (and potters) myself because now I’m surrounded by Indian pueblos and their culture. (I should, for god sakes!) I’ve gotten familiar with the work of Pop Chalee, TC Cannon, Fritz Scholder, and Rick Bartow - painters worth googling - but that’s barely a drop in the bucket. There are SOOOO many more to discover and so for me…it’s fun. New types of work from a different kind of world.

I’m happy you’ve “met” him…

Hi Terri.

I’ve been aware of Gorman for some time, especially because you see his work everywhere in the southwest. I’m not sure I like his style all that much, but he’s pretty well collected - and respected! It’s cool your mom liked him and recognized something good in his work.

Are these posters, or signed original prints? Are you going to be in possession of them now? Do you know what they’re worth?

It’s weird to me that there are so many interesting native artists around but we don’t usually know their names. Or rather, we don’t read much about them or get to see their work in person. I’ve been trying to learn more about some of the painters (and potters) myself because now I’m surrounded by Indian pueblos and their culture. (I should, for god sakes!) I’ve gotten familiar with the work of Pop Chalee, TC Cannon, Fritz Scholder, and Rick Bartow - painters worth googling - but that’s barely a drop in the bucket. There are SOOOO many more to discover and so for me…it’s fun. New types of work from a different kind of world.

Ah, thanks. I was trying to remember Fritz Scholder's name when I saw Gorman's work, but my brain was stuck on Paul Soldner, who was a ceramist I admire.

Hi Terri.

Hi Olive - my mom has a couple of smallish lithographs and the rest are just framed posters. I don't think the posters themselves have much value, and she does intend to take the lithographs along to her new apartment. My niece loves Gorman and will take several of the posters. We don't have a poster of my favorite up there - I snagged that from the Gallery link - but I'd love to get one!

I'm happy I "met" him, too! I agree with what you said up there about native artists. Oftentimes they don't get the wider recognition they deserve. :)

St. Luke, Dulac's work is magical. Thanks for posting it. I love it.

Terri, I really love Gorman's techniques. I feel like I've seen the work somewhere before. Really cool! ♥️

I recently came upon the work of Julia Tveritina in one of my social media feeds. Her work was introduced by Yuko Shimizu, a Japanese New York-based artist/illustrator whose work I have been following for quite some time. Tveritina was born in Kyiv, Ukraine, studied at the National Academy of Visual Arts and Architecture, Kyiv, and currently lives and works in Suzhou, China. I was initially intrigued by her mural-scaled multi-figure drawings that recall Japanese and Chinese ink drawings:

1.jpg

More recently, she has published a series of drawings/paintings that confront the current horrible events taking place in her homeland:

Julia Tveritina.jpg

Julia Tveritina2.800.jpg

Julia Tveritina3.800.jpg

Julia Tveritina4.800.jpg

Julia Tveritina5.800.jpg

Julia Tveritina6.800.jpg

Julia Tveritina7.800.jpg

Julia Tveritina8.800.jpg

Julia Tveritina9.800.jpg

In an altogether different direction, I recently came upon these two works from the early 20th century:

Rupert Bunny.1000.jpg

Rupert Bunny's Sunbath dates from 1913. Unlike a lot of late Romantic/Academic art, this painting exudes a spontaneity and freshness that recalls elements of Impressionism and Post Impressionism. The brilliant light and the flatness recall Manet's Olympia but even moreso, the paintings of Edouard Vuillard. Like Vuillard, Bunny is clearly an admirer of Japanese painted screens.

Dorothy Hawksley 1927.800.jpg

Dorothy Hawksley's Eve dates from 1927. The work is painted in watercolor and reminds me of a lot of late Japanese woodblock prints. I especially like the overall grace and elegance as well as the expression on Eve's face.

278368304_10219616843086434_2047266252219579414_n.jpg

-Autumn Flowers

I just stumbled upon the work of Kojima Kimiko. Of course, I would be attracted to her work. It ticks off many of the elements I most admire in art: the nude, elements of the decorative, elegant linearity, recollections of Art Nouveau (especially Beardsley) and then I have long loved Japanese Art. Kimiko was born in 1942. She commonly works in silkscreen. The nude figures are frequently self-portraits. Her love of pattern and the decorative carry over to her work as a well-known textile designer.

AutumnFlowers.750.jpg

-Woman in Spring

tumblr_de976e32d427625560fba069293e1621_9fb9900e_1280.jpg

-Plum Blossoms

I visited The Met today. Took a lot of pictures. Tough choosing favorites. I was surprised how much I liked this one. Not even sure why. Maybe it felt warm and human after all the cold landscapes. I'll post some more but I'll start with this one. It's about 8 feet wide. Sorry about the fat font.

What are we? III 2012​

Sosa Joseph Indian

Joseph lives and works in the historic multicultural neighborhood of Mattancherry of Fort Kochi, in Kerala, India. Against this vibrant backdrop she set this dreamlike composition of predominantly Muslim women—identified by their dress—going about their everyday routines. Naming this and the series of works to which it belongs after Paul Gauguin’s famous painting Where Do We Come From? What Are We? Where Are We Going? (1897–98; Museum of Fine Arts, Boston), Joseph espouses a similar interest in the mystical symbolism of femininity. Unlike Gauguin’s gendered, colonialist approach toward Tahitian women, however, Joseph’s examination of her subjects’ interior lives is both more dizzying in its multiple perspectives and sympathetic in its focus.

1664945943002.png

I became aware of Franz Kline earlier today. I really love abstract expressionists that stand out, and he certainly did. His work with thick black lines makes me feel deep and serious.

Another I pic I took at the Metropolitan Museum of New York. By Peter Doig. This is big, about 8 feet wide? He gave this to the museum. Not my favorite of his but he is perhaps my favorite contemporary artist. Very unique, interesting paintings, and plus his paintings seem like something I could paint. He admits to being a terrible sketcher and figurative realist. I can relate to that. I find this realm of what they call "magic realism" or "contemporary romanticism" very appealing. There is some mysterious narrative going on.

1666985181494.png

Bloke I follow on Twitter:

Robert McAffee - High view of a northern lake Oil on canvas 24 x 30 in.jpg

Robert McAffee - High view of a northern lake. Oil on canvas, 24 x 30 in.

His work reminds quite a bit of Tom Thomson, and he paints the same subject matter - Canada's spectacular wilderness.

Back