Recent art that you liked

Desforges, thank you, this sculpture is also wonderful, thanks also for information on the work.

John, this sounds like an interesting video

Ori Toor, a freelance illustrator from Tel Aviv, describes his work as "100% improvised brain junk and happy accidents... creating freestyle worlds for you (and me) to get lost in." They are quite enthralling:

Ori Toor 2.jpg

Ori Toor 3.jpg

Ori Toor 4.jpg

Ori Toor 5.jpg

Ori Toor 6.jpg

Ori Toor 7.jpg

Ori Toor 8.jpg

Ori Toor 9.jpg

Ori Toor 10.jpg

Ori Toor.jpg

Ori Toor

Most of these resonate strongly with me.
The beautiful colors and vertical compositions feel Oriental.

Great art above. From wonderful illustration art to the more painterly art to Sargent, who is about a "painterly" as an artist can get. They are all great but I think my heart is more with the impeccably controlled warm abstraction of the masterful brushstroke. Sargent wins again for me. That painting seems to distill all the complications of the ones above with brilliant simplicity.

The Sargent painting is an incredibly spontaneous work and it reminds me of many works by the Spanish artist, Joaquin Sorolla.

You post quite beautiful paintings of all genre Stlukes...

I did not know Ori Toor, wonderful works,

has nothing to do but reminded me of cartoon Ricky and Morty,
some absurd images in the series. worlds, he parallel realities that sometimes merge
this cartoon
I didn't even know Amir Fallah. fantastic.
thank you all.
Fantastic Sargent's work, I always like Sargent very much, both his drawings and paintings I find incredible

1623746910916.png

I just stumbled upon Simone Johnson's paintings/drawings on one of my social media feeds... and I absolutely love her work.
Johnson was born in 1971 in Manhattan and currently lives on Staten Island. Johnson employs Prismacolor pencils to realize her whimsical and imaginative scenes of cats rendered in brilliant saturated colors depicting a myriad of delightful situations. She is especially known for her drawings of New York City Bodega Cats.

In addition to being an artist, she is a belly dancer who has performed with a Manhattan dance company. The New York Daily News published an article about her life entitled, Special Young Artist Dances Past Autism. Johnson works as a part-time gallery assistant in the PVA studio. Her work has been included in numerous exhibitions in New York and abroad and is in many private collections.

474db7dd4994349cd9386966810f3797.png

101643257_944759399291028_3821420801991639040_n.jpg

e5f796862bc77c5d99f61d2408721259.750.jpg

outsider0320-4.jpg

unnamed (1).750.jpg

unnamed (2).750.jpg

unnamed (3).jpg

unnamedsj.750.jpg

sj1.750.jpg

The first cat reminded me of SLG's childhood cat drawing. Art is the last chance motel. WTf?

Freud.750.jpg

Lucian Freud was a long-time favorite painter of mine. For some time he was a major influence on my own painting. I've had the chance to see several exhibitions of his work and I must own 4 or 5 books on the artist... but I have never seen this painting (above) by Freud... which is quite nice... and different from his usual work.

I've seen several examples of plants/still-life by Freud before. These were inspired partially by Dürer's still life paintings that share a similar obsessive observation:

02turfsmall.JPG

Among such paintings by Freud that I have seen before I would count the Plant with a Reflection in the Mirror that Joe linked to above...

4b7fca7d74cebadd30c95919fd9fa282.700.jpg

The Interior at Paddington... an early painting with a magnificent potted plant...

5349.700.jpg

Two Plants... which I almost forgot about, but has similar elements to the painting I posted above...

5457.700.jpg

And then there are several views from outside of his studio of the neighboring tenements, trash heaps, and trees such as Exterior at Paddington...

f0337440c6d4867b6e65d6569d1c9285.jpg

There is an article in The Guardian on Freud's marvelous paintings of plants:

Forget Lucian Freud's nudes – he was a magnificent painter of plants

Thank you very much stlukesguild, for pictures, information and for the article.
Fantastic Durer, I have very few images of him, I have to look for him

Back