Recent art that you liked

Friedrich (Fritz) Wilhelm Brandtner 1896-1969. a German-Canadian artist and art instructor. During his career he worked variously as painter, printmaker, graphic artist, illustrator, muralist, and set designer.
Fritz-BRANDTNER-Driftwood-1587152210.jpg

Fritz-BRANDTNER 2.jpg

Fritz-BRANDTNER 3.jpg

Fritz-BRANDTNER 4.jpg

Particularly like the subject of the first painting, Claude 👍

Just discovered early Twombly. Sigh. This one, 1951, is pretty fucking great - in my 👁y👁s

GclMxgX4AYdQ_585x329.jpg

The first two are very much in the tradition of German Expressionism. I immediately thought of Beckmann... and Marsden Hartley.

I wonder where my post went about this Palizzi painting reminding me of a Maxfield Parish one. Almost the same pose and everything, but I can't find it.. When I do, I'll circle back to this thread for sure.

Beautiful painting here, that's for sure! ❤️

Your post is in the Art and humor thread., where SLG accidentally posted the image. I thought it wasn't an accident. I found humour where there was none. My eyes and the grainy image may have contributed to this. Even with my trusty magnifier I cannot tell if her finger is excavating her nose...

Last edited:
George Siebert- Weekend.jpg

-George Siebert: Weekend, 1928

Siebert was a member of the Neue Sachlichkeit or New Objectivity movement that included artists such as Otto Dix, George Grosz, and Max Beckmann. Siebert's work was far less "expressionistic" than many other painters of the Neue Sachlichkeit and as such he avoided being labeled a "degenerate artist" (Entartete Kunst) by the Third Reich. Under the new regime Siebert thrived and was rewarded with prizes and a position as professor at the Karlsruhe art school. The Führer himself purchased some of his paintings. He died peacefully in 1984 at age 88. His connection with the Third Reich took a toll on his reputation after WWII. The highest price any of his paintings have realized at auction was $8500... for Weekend which I find to be a lovely painting.

-George Siebert: Weekend, 1928

Siebert was a member of the Neue Sachlichkeit or New Objectivity movement that included artists such as Otto Dix, George Grosz, and Max Beckmann. Siebert's work was far less "expressionistic" than many other painters of the Neue Sachlichkeit and as such he avoided being labeled a "degenerate artist" (Entartete Kunst) by the Third Reich. Under the new regime Siebert thrived and was rewarded with prizes and a position as professor at the Karlsruhe art school. The Führer himself purchased some of his paintings. He died peacefully in 1984 at age 88. His connection with the Third Reich took a toll on his reputation after WWII. The highest price any of his paintings have realized at auction was $8500... for Weekend which I find to be a lovely painting.
Association with the Third Reich was the one thing that could get you cancelled long before cancel culture was a thing. :)

Yes... it always strikes me as interesting that artists who continued to work for the Soviets and Stalin... a regime every bit as murderous as the Third Reich... don't seem to have been shamed to the same extent. Prokofiev and Shostakovitch immediately come to mind. I think there's a more nuanced response to them and a realization that things are not always so clearly black or white. There are lots of shades of gray. There's a realization that it likely isn't easy to reject your homeland and in many ways working for murderers and tyrants may have been the only way to make a living and protect one's own family. I would also point out that just as many seem unable to separate the shortcomings of the artist from the artist's work, many also seem to assume that great art can not be produced within... or in support of a political system that we see as horrible. But history should prove the opposite is true.

a regime every bit as murderous as the Third Reich...

Let's play a fun game! It's called, how long can stlukesguild go without mentioning Hitler or the "Third Reich"?

The first (only) rule of our game is that it is no longer necessary - or welcome - to type endlessly about which "murderous regime" liked whichever art or which artists liked whichever regime or what those associations meant. Talk about that somewhere else. Go troll somewhere else.

Let's call the Hitler-love/obsession what it is, political (among other things), and political talk is not allowed here.

That's the only rule. Easy, right?

Game starts now.

Bernard Dunstan, wow, wonderful
with what did you paint these works?
can it be colored pastels or is it oil paint?
reading that you mention Degas, actually, it occurs, he if I remember correctly and from the images he used them with pastels

Dunstan's work seems to follow in the tradition of Degas, Vuillard, Bonnard, Sickert, and other intimiste artists not only in terms of subject matter and paint-handling but also in his choice of media. Most of his paintings are oil on canvas or oil on board. The type of board wasn't specified but Vuillard frequently used cardboard. He also makes frequent use of pastel. The reclining nude one before the last is pastel. All of the other paintings I posted were oil... but he did many other pastels:

9dcd94f6-1227-4faa-9134-5097f2b6eb2b_g.jpg

e6e56106-33a4-47f1-a658-e0fe3a4e97d8_570.jpg

masonry.jpg

image.jpg

Stlukesguild, thank you very much for the reply, the clear information and the beautiful pictures.

Let's play a fun game! It's called, how long can stlukesguild go without mentioning Hitler or the "Third Reich"?

The first (only) rule of our game is that it is no longer necessary - or welcome - to type endlessly about which "murderous regime" liked whichever art or which artists liked whichever regime or what those associations meant. Talk about that somewhere else. Go troll somewhere else.

Let's call the Hitler-love/obsession what it is, political (among other things), and political talk is not allowed here.

That's the only rule. Easy, right?

Game starts now.

I don't see it as trolling or political at all. It's historical context of the art. It's what SLG does, fairly even-handedly I think.

John, you haven't seen all the Hitler posts that have been taken down here. Countless now. It's not about this one isolated "historical" post of SLG's. If you want to stick up for him, that's fine, but you can't comment on what goes on behind the scenes and how close some people have come to being banned from the site, even though they think because they post a lot, they have more right to be here than others. It is clear that Hitler shit and talk of the Third Reich is not allowed here, but somehow, SLG manages to bring it up time and time again. That is a sign of a person that just wants to stir shit up--which is the exact definition of a troll. He chose to do it again, in this context, while I am out recovering from a major surgery. Maybe he thought it would be moderated differently. I don't know, but If he wants all the dirty laundry to come out, so be it. Or I can just delete these posts all together. They have no real reason to be here on the forum at all. Maybe SLG and his friends should run their own forum with their own rules, or hang out on WC where they don't mind upsetting the other artist members. I'm not running this one as a community service.

Arty, first of all, I hope you are feeling OK after your surgery. And after thinking about it I can understand how some people, especially of Jewish heritage can be offended by any talk of Nazi Germany. And I don't know what I don't know. First walk a mile in their shoes....

Back