Recent art that you liked

I wonder why I like this so much. 😛

William Blake Richmond.jpg

William Blake Richmond

I've probably mentioned this friend of mine, Melanie Daniel. She is an Israeli artist I used to show with, but lately I have really liked the direction she's been taking. She didn't used to have figures in her work, and it was a lot less abstracted before. These paintings are a bit more recent:

daniel1.jpg

daniel2.jpg

daniel3.jpg

daniel4.jpg

daniel5.jpg

When ever I thing of Richard Diebenkorn, the images I see in my mines eye are of his "Ocean Park" series. Here is one of his from a few years before that series was started. I could see his hand in it even before I managed to scroll down the the caption.
tumblr_nknkdyQz8f1rvpbxco1_500.jpg

‘Girl with Plant’, 1960 - Richard Diebenkorn (1922–1993)

When ever I thing of Richard Diebenkorn, the images I see in my mines eye are of his "Ocean Park" series. Here is one of his from a few years before that series was started. I could see his hand in it even before I managed to scroll down the the caption.
tumblr_nknkdyQz8f1rvpbxco1_500.jpg

‘Girl with Plant’, 1960 - Richard Diebenkorn (1922–1993)
I adore Diebenkorn.

There is something about these. A blend of Toulouse-Lautrec, Chagall, and maybe even Georges Braque? That's what I sort of see anyway.

I would like to see it in real life, to experience how the lighting, point of view works with this illusion that makes opaque stone look like a delicate transparent fabric.

Nice colors. But I must admit I fel a bit out of my depth looking at such abstract artwork. I feel I lack the tools to make a valid assessment.

I think, basically, with abstract work, you can tell by whether or not you like it (are drawn to it) or not, and how much. Composition/balance and all that comes into play too, of course, but if you like it, that's what counts the most. :)

Another example of stone made to look like a veil.
Modesty or Chastity (Italian: La Pudicizia) or Veiled Truth by Antonio Corradini is a sculpture completed in 1752 during the Rococo period. Corradini was commissioned by Raimondo di Sangro to sculpt a memorial for his mother in the Cappella Sansevero in Naples, where the marble sculpture remains today.
This is just a part of the upper torso.
69D09973-DF3C-4E39-8333-894B0923DC97.jpeg

The still here of this video ...... and the video. I watch Roger as I like to think I am a kindred soul. I also sail/cruise a dinghy. I'm also a bit off-the-beaten-path. An overnight alone on the water or the woods restores me.

I found this image striking but I recommend the video from the start.

Back