Recent art that you liked

Preface: I have not slogged through this whole thread, so if there are repeats, my apologies!

Here are a couple that have stood out to me over the last couple of months - wildly different, both brilliant.

This one, of course, is famous. I'm not even a particular fan of the Baroque - but Artemisia is so bad ass here, I almost want to laugh. She was barely in her 20's when she painted this thing! Whaaaaat?!

Artemisia Gentileschi's Judith Beheading Holofernes, circa 1614:

201005_r37122.jpg

You go, girl. :oops:

And, swinging wildly away from this, is the kinder, gentler, and always beautiful Marc Chagall. *sigh*

Lovers in Blue, circa 1914

Chagall Blue Lovers-1914.jpg

Chagall makes me cry.

As soon as I saw Hilma's paintings here I thought, "I bet Arty posted these." :)

She did some marvelous paintings.

An abstract artist that is a recent discovery for me is Alma Woodsey Thomas. She was an African-American artist who was born in the South, became one of the first African-American women to earn a degree in art, and taught art in Washington DC for 30+ years. After retiring, she focused wholly upon her own painting... and employed an abstract vocabulary rooted in her observations of nature. She is a great artist for introducing younger students to abstract art and painting:

awt 2.jpg

71RBUrwSw9L._AC_SX425_.jpg

05-Black-History-Month-Spotlight-DesignSponge.jpg

E_5u-O7VUAwm_F6.jpg

Wind and Crepe Myrtle Concerto 1973.JPG

05ALMA-articleLarge.jpg

Thank you so much for posting all these Terri and SLG. I love them all. SLG, I have never heard of Alma Woodsey Thomas, I mean, the name sounds familiar, but I have not put those images with that name, nor have I ever seen them. They are pretty spectacular, especially the last, IMO. Very intelligent that one is.

Chagall can almost bring me to tears at times too Terri. Very few artists can. I admit that van Gogh has (in person). Maybe that's cliché, but it's happened on more than one occasion. Klee as well.

And I have seen that powerful Artemisia Gentileschi piece, but I would not have remembered her name off the top of my head. I also didn't realize how young she was when she painted it. I wonder who she studied with, but I'm sure that's easily look-upable.

Chagall can almost bring me to tears at times too Terri. Very few artists can. I admit that van Gogh has (in person). Maybe that's cliché, but it's happened on more than one occasion. Klee as well.
Heh. We drove into Atlanta over the summer to see the van Gogh Immersive thing, and I started to cry when I rounded the first corner and saw his bedroom setup. Ridiculous - this wasn't a gallery, this was a for-public-consumption van Gogh appreciation. It was visually beautiful and full of his quotes and pretty music and I cried. hee hee I have stood in front of Starry Night and didn't cry; it was more like being in a trance.

I've never seen a Chagall in person. That has to change.

And I have seen that powerful Artemisia Gentileschi piece, but I would not have remembered her name off the top of my head. I also didn't realize how young she was when she painted it. I wonder who she studied with, but I'm sure that's easily look-upable.
Someone has actually written a play about her life and I would love to see it. Her life was amazing - she was so progressive for her time considering how women were placed in general society. Her father supported her career while at the same time trying to monetize it; he hired an art teacher for her who promptly raped her at 17. A lot of her rage comes through in these glorious paintings showing women's strength. Her father went after this guy and took him to court - the entire trial proceedings still exist, and are some of the basis for this play.

She's an amazing artist and should be better known than she is. 💔

Her story is like a lot of others. Reminds me slightly of Camille Claudel (sp?) Also, do you know of Charlotte Solomon? (<--Also not sure of the spelling.) Tragic stories.

The van Goghs I cried in front of were the hospital one with the tree in front of it (I don't know its name), but it's at the Hammer Museum here in Los Angeles, and when LACMA did a huge show of his with an audio of all of his letters to Theo. It was the Crows (not sure if it's called that). But that one also got me. It was the last painting in the show on the tour and was in a room by itself.

Her story is like a lot of others. Reminds me slightly of Camille Claudel (sp?) Also, do you know of Charlotte Solomon? (<--Also not sure of the spelling.) Tragic stories.

The van Goghs I cried in front of were the hospital one with the tree in front of it (I don't know its name), but it's at the Hammer Museum here in Los Angeles, and when LACMA did a huge show of his with an audio of all of his letters to Theo. It was the Crows (not sure if it's called that). But that one also got me. It was the last painting in the show on the tour and was in a room by itself.
Yes!! It's an amazing painting, Crows in the field or Over the field...now I have to go find it. If it's the same one, the Immersive show also highlighted it at the end - I believe it's considered his last masterpiece as it was painted so close to the end, and has a sense of foreboding.

I don't know Charlotte Solomon. Sounds like we should meet. :)

Wasn't she amazing though? I know. Such a tragic story. All of those pieces were part of a huge play she wrote. So dreamy, and a lot like Chagall.

So dreamy, and a lot like Chagall.
Yes! He was the first artist to come to mind when I saw this. The influences are there. I read about this play, this assemblage she wrote- a fascinating artist.

This is right up my alley. I'm so grateful for the introduction. So I owe you a Thank you, Arty! :D

I have a wonderful printed book on her and I cherish it. It has a nice linen cover. I don't own that many artist's books really. I used to have way too many and have tried to be more of a minimalist, which is downright difficult. I only keep ones that are very near and dear to my heart, but they are all so incredibly heavy as you know. Every time I have to move from a place, I regret having them.

It would be a neat thread to post a list of artists that we own printed books by, but I'm afraid St. Luke's list would break the forum software! Ha ha ha! :ROFLMAO: ;)

I'm probably going to spring for a good copy of her book. I just don't think I can stand not reading it.

Yes...art books we own could be a dangerous thread!

Love the Chagall. Here's someone I came across on insta.I think her work has a really fresh look at commonplace scenes and I love the details oh and the colours🙂

How strange and ethereal I find this! It's lovely and floaty, and the huge eyes have a haunted quality. I like it!

Back