Recent art that you liked

how many wonderful works, I did not know any of the artists of the last 2 pages, incredible works, I want to look for other works,
of Barrioquinto , Albert Birkle and others

Reminds me of Edward Hopper…

Yeah, the loneliness. Some mood of dark background angst. Things are not quite right. Frankly, I'm a little tired of the Hopper-esque psychodrama stuff. We get it. We are are all lonely, even when together. Beautifully painted though.

Clara Aldophs

Clara Aldophs
KeDe.jpg

Clara+Adolphs+Midnight+Man+Lindberg+Galleries.jpg

aldophs.jpg

Can't find much of anything about Robert Altbauer. Apparently an illustrator; among other things, he did these Lovecraft illustrations, in the style of medieval art:

(Edit: well, the others kind of refused to upload).

Robert Altbauer HP Lovecraft 5.png

Attachments

• Robert Altbauer HP Lovecraft 1.png
    Robert Altbauer HP Lovecraft 1.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 119
  • Robert Altbauer HP Lovecraft 2.png
    Robert Altbauer HP Lovecraft 2.png
    953.8 KB · Views: 110
  • Robert Altbauer HP Lovecraft 3.png
    Robert Altbauer HP Lovecraft 3.png
    1,002.1 KB · Views: 116
  • Robert Altbauer HP Lovecraft 4.png
    Robert Altbauer HP Lovecraft 4.png
    667 KB · Views: 118
Looks like the photo it was painted from. Which makes one wonder. Why not just take a photo. In fact now photos can be altered to look more like a painting than this does.

Impressive skill, but where is the art.

Looks like the photo it was painted from. Which makes one wonder. Why not just take a photo. In fact now photos can be altered to look more like a painting than this does.

It is impressive skill as a painting - if it were a photo - not so much. It doesn't take any particular skill or talent to make an "interesting" image of a beautiful subject. In fact many "hard core" photographers avoid beautiful subjects - consider it Calendar Art - not that there's anything wrong with it.

At every "look out" often the exact spot is courteously marked where to stand to take the most postcard-like photo of the scenic landmark. When I use to travel, I would go to giftshops and buy all the scenic post cards of the area so I would know what photos I didn't have to take. Not that those aren't worthy but they're threadbare subjects for someone looking at photography for more than event-recording.

Last edited:
I'll tell you when you give me a solid definition of that "art" you are looking for... ;)

But kidding aside you raise a good point I have often contemplated myself.

Saw this on a stock photo site - Pixabay, if memory serves. It's in a church in Bulgaria:

bulgaria-2532034_1920.jpg

I'll tell you when you give me a solid definition of that "art" you are looking for... ;)

But kidding aside you raise a good point I have often contemplated myself.

I don't know about solid definition but I think art needs to be more than just a copy of reality. Copies are craft. I think art needs to improve on or alter reality in some way. It needs to say something. Like the painting below is also photographic, but there is something more there.

It's certainly a grey area and subjective.
url
url
11._thistles_2c_2001_2c_oil_on_linen_2c_32_x_54_inches.jpg

David Lenz

It is impressive skill as a painting - if it were a photo - not so much. It doesn't take any particular skill or talent to make an "interesting" image of a beautiful subject. In fact many "hard core" photographers avoid beautiful subjects - consider it Calendar Art - not that there's anything wrong with it.

I don't buy that at all. I know there is a Modernist bias that believes that creating a "beautiful" work of art from an ugly... or even banal subject matter is far more challenging than creating a beautiful work of art from a beautiful subject. But is this true. It seems to me that there is a real challenge in painting a beautiful landscape, a vase of beautiful flowers, or an attractive model in such a manner that isn't cliche.

So does the same question apply to this?

22pearl.650.jpg

Or this?

INGRES - Princess de Broglie.jpg

Or this?

3237-the-chocolate-girl-etienne-liotard.sm.jpg

Or this?

AmongtheSierraNevadaCalifornia.800.jpg

It seems to me that while painting long had a documentary role, this was not the sole merit of painting... even the most "realistic" paintings. "Looks like a photograph" has never been a compliment for painters... except those who see nothing beyond the ability to mimic the illusion of photographic realism as being of merit.

"So does the same question apply to this?"

In those examples the art is there. In the brushwork, colors, lighting, drama and balance. But if you ask me, there isn't much art in most portraiture. It's craft. The Ingres for example shows impressive skill and the satin is beautiful but as art I find it boring.

Realism doesn't disqualify paintings or photos from being art. Nor does being an attractive subject. But the photo on the driver's license of even the most beautiful woman in the world is not art.

""Looks like a photograph" has never been a compliment for painters." People have said that about one of my landscapes and it makes me cringe, even though my intent was photorealism. I guess I'm never happy.

Last edited:
I don't buy that at all. I know there is a Modernist bias that believes that creating a "beautiful" work of art from an ugly... or even banal subject matter is far more challenging than creating a beautiful work of art from a beautiful subject. But is this true. It seems to me that there is a real challenge in painting a beautiful landscape, a vase of beautiful flowers, or an attractive model in such a manner that isn't cliche.

Back