Recent art that you liked

Now this one is a real beauty.

Amy Kathrine Browning-The Lime Tree Shade.700.jpg

Amy Kathrine Browning: Lime Tree Shade, 1913

When I opened up a gallery in Cleveland... I can't believe almost 20 years ago! 😲 Matt Dibble was one of the artists I showed in our first exhibition. He was 15 or 20 years older than me and a graduate of the Cleveland School of Art... an institution that no longer exists. It was merged into my alma mater, the Cleveland Institute of Art. Matt was a roofer whose handshake could crush your hand. His paintings were large abstract works in the tradition of DeKooning.

1506400_10205300378457143_549725520049012769_n.jpg

I became close friends with Matt over the years and frequently visited his studio. On one such occasion, he showed me his small figurative doodles. They reminded me of the line sketches of Picasso... but were wholly unique. Several of Matt's closest friends and I all kept prodding him to expand upon these figurative drawings as we felt they had real potential as paintings. I'm glad to say that he eventually took our advice. I even wrote a review of these works following his first real one-man-show.

Matt has been quite successful at marketing his art through social media. He has a presence on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Tumblr, Saatchi Art, etc... and has sold works to collectors around the country and internationally. Unfortunately, IMO, his social media posts tend to focus upon his abstract work because he has found these more likely to sell... especially to corporate and business collectors who want something "modern" that speaks of their progressive mindset... but nothing that might in any way offend. Robert Hughes pointed out that Abstract Expressionism, for better or worse, became the modern corporate decorative art de rigeur.

Here is one of Matt's recent figurative works that I just stumbled upon on Facebook (I believe):

131011613_10224353467972473_9159836400071731432_o.jpg

I like to browse through wikiart and have a catalogue of lots of favorites there built over the years. . I was just browsing through these and this one just spoke to me right now.

countess-mordvinov-s-forest-1891.jpg!Large.jpg

Countess Mordvinov's Forest​

Ivan Shishkin

and something about the mystery/narrative/mythology and the Japanese design influence in Serusier's paintings always grabs my attention.

the-fairy-and-the-knight-1912.jpg!Large.jpg

The Fairy and the Knight​

Paul Serusier

Both of these paintings have a mood. Something profound and mysterious is happening. There is weight and soul.

Maybe that's what makes good art. Soul. Try to define that one. :)

Matt has been quite successful at marketing his art through social media. He has a presence on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Tumblr, Saatchi Art, etc... and has sold works to collectors around the country and internationally. Unfortunately, IMO, his social media posts tend to focus upon his abstract work because he has found these more likely to sell... especially to corporate and business collectors who want something "modern" that speaks of their progressive mindset... but nothing that might in any way offend. Robert Hughes pointed out that Abstract Expressionism, for better or worse, became the modern corporate decorative art de rigeur.

I recall reading somewhere (it might have been an ARC propaganda piece, mind you) that one reason why ab-ex became so successful was precisely because in the wake of the Rivera/Rockefeller/Lenin thing, big corporations began to push abstract work, for precisely the reason you mention: it cannot possibly be offensive, but at the same time would improve the public image of such companies as generous patrons of contemporary art.

Your post had me curious, because I don't think that particular disease ever took hold here: when they show interviews with ministers and prominent businessmen on TV, if there is any art in their offices, it is mostly just "normal" stuff. But I couldn't find much online. I did find this picture of the minister of finance, presumably in his office or some other government venue, talking to some delegate from the Middle East or India or something:

06ABFC8A-7E66-4ABA-946D-9F41C5019BD7.jpg

Check out that painting: I don't know who the artist was, but it is very much a piece of "apartheid art" of the kind that was very common in government offices before 1990. When the new government took over, they mostly just took over the art as well, "offensive" or not. Many government buildings are adorned by Pierneef landscapes, and he was widely considered an "apartheid artist" (whatever exactly that means, particularly in the case of a bloke who specialized in landscape). Or, I should say, their offices WERE thus adorned, because a lot of the paintings were stolen or damaged through neglect.

One of the many reasons why I am not a fan of our current politicians is their lack of aesthetics.

I recently came upon these 3 lovely 19th century works:

Alphonsine de Challie.700.jpg

This painting, Beauty with Pink Veil by Alphonsine de Challie reminds me of the paintings of Giovanni Boldini.

B.Morisot.700.jpg

This lovely painting, Julie Playing Violin, recalls the paint handling and to some extent the imagery of later paintings by Munch.

Belcher Mosaic Glass Co. 18th c. Stained Glass Window Design.jpg

I especially like this: Design for a Japanese Window by the Belcher Mosaic Glass Company. The Designer appears to be one Wm. H. Day.

Not sure I like this one, but I'm just kind of surprised that Jeff Koons can apparently actually paint. Unless his assistants did this one :) :

Jeff Koons - Loopy [1999] - Oil on canvas 274 x 201 cm.jpg

Jeff Koons - Loopy [1999]. Oil on canvas, 274 x 201 cm

Attachments

• Jeff Koons - Loopy [1999] - Oil on canvas 274 x 201 cm.jpg
    Jeff Koons - Loopy [1999] - Oil on canvas 274 x 201 cm.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 87
Back