Legacy Book

Actually no, I haven't thought at all about the end times. Living it is hard enough, now to document it too! No doubt I'll be headed for some agonizing reappraisals. But save for a page of introduction, the book will be nothing but photos of the paintings. No explanatory text.
Actually Bongo, maybe a few pages of WHY!!
Give the buggers something to talk about!
But I also like ZD idea of do a preview to wind em up and refine stuff... It may give you a whole new direction. Oh, good luck.

Ayin, remembering any of us is quite the crapshoot, I think. There's a whole industry in genealogy now devoted to reviving the memories of our grandparents and theirs, to whom we didn't bother listening when we were young and they were still around!

I come from an artistic family, some of whom were quite prolific in several media. Yet most of what they did that is appreciable is lost or moldering somewhere if at all. Very little of it is hung, which seems a shame. Yet some of my treasured memories are of sitting with one or another of them watching them paint. And those die with me anyway. Sigh....
Bart, yeah..... Partly why I decided to write my stuff cos EVERYTHING is GONE. The farm I grew up on doesn't exist anymore. What happened in in my head only, now on 220 pages!!

Actually Bongo, maybe a few pages of WHY!!
Give the buggers something to talk about!
But I also like ZD idea of do a preview to wind em up and refine stuff... It may give you a whole new direction. Oh, good luck.
Thank you Murray, - ZD said it first, but my head was too high in the clouds to hear it-- makes all the sense in the world to first do say a twelve-page "pamphlet" for a learning curve.

I like the idea of including a "why" - mine is an extrapolation of Maslow's hierarchy of needs.

Hi Bongo. To me and I think so many others want to know what that person was thinking or trying to do and why!! Knowing your work.... I really want to know cos I don't see the way you do!!! And those wellies sure as hell don't either... Just guessn

I'm thinking that a book of my paintings - 98.5% color photos - might be a good legacy. No way of knowing what will happen to my paintings, and my online gallery - when I disappear. This would be 100% vanity, with no intention of marketing. It would be my "Kilroy was here" if you get my meaning. A print on demand. I would buy X amount to give to a few relatives and friends. So any insight on how to go about this is appreciated.

Not trying or even thinking about making a profit, and I know this is going to cost a good chunk of change - looked for a few seconds at blurb.com and it seems like the kind of thing I'm looking for - but know nothing about them - or bookmaking for that matter.
I might be able to be of some help to you, I've done this sort of thing for many of my friends. Contact me on millrind (at) btinternet.com and I'll send you some information.
John Kay

Ayin, remembering any of us is quite the crapshoot, I think. There's a whole industry in genealogy now devoted to reviving the memories of our grandparents and theirs, to whom we didn't bother listening when we were young and they were still around!

I come from an artistic family, some of whom were quite prolific in several media. Yet most of what they did that is appreciable is lost or moldering somewhere if at all. Very little of it is hung, which seems a shame. Yet some of my treasured memories are of sitting with one or another of them watching them paint. And those die with me anyway. Sigh....
I listened very closely to my great-grandparents when they were alive. They fascinated me, even though others may have considered their lives of no real importance. They were important to me. I've written down much about their lives.

My grandparents were also listened to because they made sure of it, and their lives were rather horrible. But I was listening. Trust me. I've also written down much about their lives.

I listened to my parents. I listened and respected them, even though they probably didn't deserve it. I've documented a bunch about their lives as well.

And I've written a lot of memoir about me, my family, other artists I've known, musicians, dogs, places, etc., and all of this will die with me too. So, I know what you mean. ;)

100% correct. I wish I had the book now so that I could look at it. My paintings are in an unorganized pile in a room off my studio, where you must move boxes to get to boxes. My online gallery is a decade out of date. So they are already dead, buried, all but forgotten even before I'm dead, buried and forgotten.

Will the book one day be entered into the Library of Congress? Will it one day be required reading in art schools? Will copies be auctioned at Sothbes and Christies? Will pigs fly?

Hi Bongo. To me and I think so many others want to know what that person was thinking or trying to do and why!! Knowing your work.... I really want to know cos I don't see the way you do!!! And those wellies sure as hell don't either... Just guessn
Thanks Murray.

It's just as simple (and mundane) as- paying attention to little bits of fleeting fancy that enter your mind, and images that blip by -- then having the tenacity to paint them.

I might be able to be of some help to you, I've done this sort of thing for many of my friends. Contact me on millrind (at) btinternet.com and I'll send you some information.
John Kay
Thanks John, I'll take you up on that

I listened very closely to my great-grandparents when they were alive. They fascinated me, even though others may have considered their lives of no real importance. They were important to me. I've written down much about their lives.

My grandparents were also listened to because they made sure of it, and their lives were rather horrible. But I was listening. Trust me. I've also written down much about their lives.

I listened to my parents. I listened and respected them, even though they probably didn't deserve it. I've documented a bunch about their lives as well.

And I've written a lot of memoir about me, my family, other artists I've known, musicians, dogs, places, etc., and all of this will die with me too. So, I know what you mean. ;)
I marvel at all the changes our parents/grandparents went through in their lifetimes - and remember thinking that my generation will never have to endure as much. But as it turns out, when you look back, we've been on a helluva ride too, arguably more.

The difference is that now we have access to communication and information that allows us to assimilate, adapt, cope in ways our ancestors didn't have.

They found out about advancements in spearheads only when one went through their skull.

I marvel at all the changes our parents/grandparents went through in their lifetimes - and remember thinking that my generation will never have to endure as much. But as it turns out, when you look back, we've been on a helluva ride too, arguably more.

The difference is that now we have access to communication and information that allows us to assimilate, adapt, cope in ways our ancestors didn't have.

They found out about advancements in spearheads only when one went through their skull.
I don't even want to touch that with my ancestors and even cousins! My life, despite any discomforts or disappointments or hardships, has been a cake walk by comparison.

I don't even want to touch that with my ancestors and even cousins! My life, despite any discomforts or disappointments or hardships, has been a cake walk by comparison.
Bart- 100% - I was speaking to the societal and technological changes.

Bart- 100% - I was speaking to the societal and technological changes.
I watched the moon landing in '69 with my grandfather, who grew up in Eastern Europe. I asked him how it felt to go from the first airplanes to the moon landing. He responded, "Airplanes? We didn't even have a horse!"

Back