March 2022 Animal And Wildlife Challenge

Vivien - I would love to see your elephant, but all I see is a number for the jpg and it is not clickable.

This macaw is in my Canson sketchbook, 7 x 10. The deer is about 7 x 11, on Arches 140CP. I wanted to rip it up as it is such a mess, but my husband stated he liked it, but he is always very encouraging. The ref photo didn't really show the back legs well and I cannot figure out the orientation; they just look unnatural. The ears and lower background are an overworked mess. My edges need work, but I never know which ones to soften.

761A4D07-4BDF-4A19-811E-6266F47C38C7_1_201_a.jpeg

B7727097-0E1B-47F6-99FB-AFD908C80363_1_201_a.jpeg

Nice Elephant Viv. I love watercolor and pen. I like his happy expression too!

Joy, your macaw is wonderful. I love the soft transitions of color. Great work around the eye and the beak too. Your deer looks so sweet an innocent. I want to reach out and pet her.

I managed to do three images this month. All were done in my 6"x8" Stillman & Birn Alpha sketchbook.

Here's the elephant in ink and water-soluble graphite. The inking was done with an 005 micron pen so there is just a hint of line.

20220307Sk6 Elephant (Pixabay).png

I started the cat with ink and graphite and then thought I would experiment with adding some color. Here are the two versions.

20220303Sk6 Kitten (Pixabay).png

20220303(C)Sk6 Kitten (Pixabay).png

The last one is my version of the parrot.

20220311Sk6 Parrot (Pixabay).png

Great images this month Viv. Thanks for hosting.

Vivien - Your elephant finally showed up on my end. It is adorable.
Anne - All of yours look very professional. The macaw was not showing on my end. The site must be slow; the same thing happened on my tablet. My images pop right up, but the others take forever to load, if at all. Oh, just checked a few hours later and your macaw is lovely!

Last edited:
Joy - Lovely work on both! Yes it was difficult to see the back legs of the deer, but your husband is right, and I like it too!

Anne - Great elephant, and I like both versions of the kitten! Your parrot is splendid too!

Vivien- your elephant is a good looking fellow! I like pen and wash too. Very nice work. And he does look happy in the reference.
Joy-lovely watercolors. The deer is so eye catching that the difficulty you had with the leg isn't noticeable until you point it out. The eyes and the rich colors around the head draw attention there. Well done.
ams-Nice work! I like how the pen and graphite work together. Love the adoring look in those Kitty eyes. You caught his expression well.

Now here's mine. Only time for one this month as it had to share creative time with other projects. I bet you all thought I'd do one of the birds. :LOL: But I've actually wanted to paint one of these guys for a while now. Thank you, Vivien for providing this one.

Oil on 9X12 Gessobord
20220319_135335.jpg

Adding a little note about the Yellow Tang (fish). As per my practice I looked up other sea turtles to help me understand how their colors work and a couple of the images had the Yellow Tangs all over them, eating the algae on them, so naturally since it's one of the references here I just felt they should be included. :)

Vivien- your elephant is a good looking fellow! I like pen and wash too. Very nice work. And he does look happy in the reference.
Joy-lovely watercolors. The deer is so eye catching that the difficulty you had with the leg isn't noticeable until you point it out. The eyes and the rich colors around the head draw attention there. Well done.
ams-Nice work! I like how the pen and graphite work together. Love the adoring look in those Kitty eyes. You caught his expression well.

Now here's mine. Only time for one this month as it had to share creative time with other projects. I bet you all thought I'd do one of the birds. :LOL: But I've actually wanted to paint one of these guys for a while now. Thank you, Vivien for providing this one.

Oil on 9X12 Gessobord
View attachment 20064
Adding a little note about the Yellow Tang (fish). As per my practice I looked up other sea turtles to help me understand how their colors work and a couple of the images had the Yellow Tangs all over them, eating the algae on them, so naturally since it's one of the references here I just felt they should be included. :)
Wow! Wonderful painting of the Turtle, and thank you for the information on the little Yellow Tang fish!

JSparrow, I love your turtle. The colors and patterns on his shell are beautiful. I like your little extra with the yellow tang fish.

Ricky, nice work on the turtle. I especially like how you did the water. You captured the way the light shines through perfectly.

Vivien - I would love to see your elephant, but all I see is a number for the jpg and it is not clickable.

This macaw is in my Canson sketchbook, 7 x 10. The deer is about 7 x 11, on Arches 140CP. I wanted to rip it up as it is such a mess, but my husband stated he liked it, but he is always very encouraging. The ref photo didn't really show the back legs well and I cannot figure out the orientation; they just look unnatural. The ears and lower background are an overworked mess. My edges need work, but I never know which ones to soften.

View attachment 20050

View attachment 20051
Lovely work, Joy. Very well done.

Nice Elephant Viv. I love watercolor and pen. I like his happy expression too!

Joy, your macaw is wonderful. I love the soft transitions of color. Great work around the eye and the beak too. Your deer looks so sweet an innocent. I want to reach out and pet her.

I managed to do three images this month. All were done in my 6"x8" Stillman & Birn Alpha sketchbook.

Here's the elephant in ink and water-soluble graphite. The inking was done with an 005 micron pen so there is just a hint of line.

View attachment 20052

I started the cat with ink and graphite and then thought I would experiment with adding some color. Here are the two versions.

View attachment 20053
View attachment 20055

The last one is my version of the parrot.

View attachment 20056

Great images this month Viv. Thanks for hosting.
Excellent work, Anne, and so many!

Reactions: ams

Oil on 9X12 Gessobord
View attachment 20064
Very good work, JSparrow. I love the background, too.

Penny - Love the turtle, especially the blended background.

Thanks, Joy. It’s a little messy
round the edges of the turtle as I find it difficult to get getting clear edges with pastel.

You said had a problem with the hind leg of your deer. i might have looked for a photo of another deer in the same pose to see how to draw the leg, but it doesnt matter - it’s the overall feel of the painting that matters, and that is very good.

Penny - lovely pastel work! Well done blending the blue into the green in the water and all those colors in the turtle's shell!
Thank you very much, Viv. As a pastel artist yourself, how do you get crisp edges. I find that difficult.

Back