Joan's Inktober Sketches

For Inktober 18 I used the Chinese ink and the twig again. I'm liking the effect I'm getting. It reminds me of charcoal or graphite a bit.

1018 brown's river inktober.jpeg

Working with ink that is water-soluble is a lot of fun, except the lines sort of disappear so I have to redo some of them. This was done at a local garden center called Fantastic Gardens. The ink is Noodler's Brown.
1020 fantastic gardens.jpeg

I'm liking the effect I'm getting. It reminds me of charcoal or graphite a bit.
It's charcoal without all the mess and black fingers. I admit the twig & ink look might always be my favourite, but beautiful work with the brown and sepia inks, too.

Maybe you don't get much "painting" done, but look at all the incredible art you're producing! ♥️ ♥️ ♥️

Boy, did I get behind. I love Day 13 and well, all of them. The Chinese ink and twig sketches are amazing. They do look a little like charcoal. The brown ink is perfect for this time of year. You rock! Hugs.

I love all of them Joan. My favorite is the Chinese Ink too. At first, I thought you had worked in charcoal and I was wondering how this fit in to Inktober, then I saw how you really did. Wonderful effect.

This one was fun to do. I sued most of the inks I had in my fountain pens plus my Elegant Writer pen. Chickens move very fast and turn around far too much. lol They are not well-behaved models.

tempImageZFcbGd.jpg

I went over to Robert Moses State Park which is part of the Fire Island National Seashore and has a wonderful lighthouse that I can sketch from the parking lot without walking all the way there. Done with my trusty twig and Chinese ink.

tempImagewSKOhc.png

Wow, more fantastic stuff 😃 Different places, different inks, love everything!

And thanks for posting your process for the Japanese garden — I keep studying it and enjoying it. Have you published a book yet? 😊 I’m sure others have suggested it, but I don’t know if you ever have. It could be a retrospective of your work, or an instruction book — or BOTH 😁

I liked to Chinese ink and twig of down by the bay and fire island.

Your chickens are great. I have the same problem trying to draw the deer in our back yard.

Love your chickens. Your twig sketches are amazing. The brown ink is so nice and gives the items sentimentality. I'm smiling to see them all.

Pine Cone, as a matter of fact I did publish 2 books a while ago, one of some of my local sketches and then a second of my Venice sketches through Shutterfly. I'm not one to self-promote but I did sell them when I was doing shows. Maybe I need to do one of some of my city sketches next. lol Thanks for being so supportive.

Anne, thank you. The only thing that made the chickens easier to sketch than deer is they are in an enclosed area and can't run away completely.

Jo, it has been fun to practice with the twig. It gave me a good excuse.

I went out to a winery and the barrels got my attention after I was done painting the vines. I used an assortment of inks in my fountain pens for this.
IMG_8908.jpeg

I was riding around not getting too inspired when I came across this farmstead that I had never seen before. I pulled over and started sketching thinking I found the perfect spot...only to have them start packing up for the day. It was only 2:00PM. Who closes that early??? I sketched as much as I could and some of it from memory.

IMG_8915.jpeg

Last week the NYC Urban Sketchers went to a park in upper Manhattan near Columbia University. I quickly pulled out my pen and did a quick ink sketch of the Columbia Rowing Crew's Boathouse.
IMG_8917.jpeg

Riding around locally I headed to what was once an artist's colony in Oakdale. Now it has been turned into small brick houses that are charming from the outside. I've wanted to sketch there for a long time but the roads are super narrow (and winding) and there is no parking unless you own the house and can pull into your driveway. I did find a space for parking behind some of the units and sat in my car to do a rear view of a group of buildings. I didn't know if it was legal to park there so I stayed with my car. I used the Noodler's brown ink which bleeds so nicely for shading.
IMG_8924.jpeg

I like the wine barrels .... of course. The farm stand is wonderful and your quick sketch of the boathouse tells so much with few lines.

I think I have about 6 more sketches to post. I will post one more tonight and then the rest tomorrow. I did finish on time!!! Yay!!!

For this one I was sketching inside because it was pouring outside. I used my set of Zebra Sensations fountain pens for this. The choice of colors is very limited and some of the colors are rather bright. Luckily the ink bled nicely and I was able to layer colors for this. Mostly I used a bright red, a very bright green, a purple and touches of a bright blue. Somehow they combined to give me a realistic assortment of colors to make this work.
IMG_8926.jpeg

Love them all Joan, esp. the pumpkin cart. You are so good with experimenting with all kinds of ink and in all variety of techniques.

Back