Joan's Inktober Sketches

Thanks Lazarus and Jo.

Day 10 was done with sepia acrylic ink and a brush. My hibiscus plant on my patio has two flowers on it right now. They were a nice surprise. I thought it was done blooming for the season.
IMG_8840.jpeg

Fantastic work! And the Japanese garden, the depth and mystery of it, very compelling. Ditto #11.

Like Joe said somewhere, would love step-by-step pics of your work such as these 🙏 On the first one of the Japanese garden for example, what did you start with, and how did you proceed? The two pics make me curious, and mind-boggled 😄

I'm very, very fond of the sepia brush one. They both are wonderful, but that one especially speaks to me. ♥️ Well done.

So many astounding art works... Love the Japanese garden and the twiging/twigink ...Love them all.

You have a lovely free, fresh sketching style … these are all delightful …. and even adding colour doesn’t ‘tighten’ them. They’re a pleasure to view!

Fantastic work! And the Japanese garden, the depth and mystery of it, very compelling. Ditto #11.

Like Joe said somewhere, would love step-by-step pics of your work such as these 🙏 On the first one of the Japanese garden for example, what did you start with, and how did you proceed? The two pics make me curious, and mind-boggled 😄
Pine Cone, I started with the steps to try to fit them and the stone lantern into the composition. Then I was able to add more details to the top and bottom...and sides.

Thanks so much for your comments Wayne, Artyczar, Ai, and Maureen.

I pass this restaurant quite often because there are these big, red umbrellas outside. Of course I left out the color but my Day 13 sketch was done of La Tavola.
1013 inktober la tavola.jpeg

I've been trying to practice with the Chinese ink and twig method as much as I can. It seems to work best for soft foliage but I'm trying to do a bit of architecture too. My day 14 Inktober sketch was done sitting in the parking lot at Smith Point Beach looking back toward the mainland. The bridge goes over a part of the Great South Bay.
tempImageR2JL1e.jpg

Lovely sketches Joan … the Chinese twig gives a very soft effect, almost like soft pencil,.
Sadly, your second sketch is not opening on my iPad but the top inch of branches looks good!😂

Thanks Maureen, Artyczar, Joe 1, Triss and Donna. The problem with doing Inktober is I don't get to do too much regular painting in October. But the ink ones are fun...and the end is in sight.

Next up was the pumpkin display at Deer Run Farm in Brookhaven. I got to use my orange micron pen in this one, as well as my Sailor
fude pen which makes such great darks and fills in large spaces quickly.
1017 deer run farm1).jpeg

gah! that tree on Oct 7! that is absolutely gorgeous. Awhile back I found a very old doodle of mine that was in some sort of pen and got leaked on, it had done something like that. I tossed it out because it was just a doodle from schooldays but it made me pause. Now I've seen what can be done with it I gotta figure out how to weaponize that effect.

All your color washes are lovely too. And the twig thing you're doing! so much variety

Back