JANUARY 2022 Monthly Challenge

Thanks for your comments on my autumn gazebo.
Wru - nice loose work on the fly/flower.

I ended up having one last go at this one, with green trees. About 5x7", watercolours on cold pressed paper. I wish I hadn't scratched into the trees.

gazebo fourth finished427 (600 x 473).jpg

Ann – I love this little guy. You did a great job of the textures, both on the frog and the log. Nice work on the pinecone.

Claudia – Wow! What a fabulous pinecone. Great contrasts and I love what you did with the background. Wonderful painting on the landscape. I really like the shadows in the building and trees. I like the second attempt as well, lovely and fresh again.

Christel – Another, Wow!

Wrn – Love you little sailboat, you’ve captured the bridge and water very well. Beautiful job on the folly. Both paintings are fresh and not fussy. Your frog looks like he’s ready to take off. Nicely done. Your bee is enjoying that lovely flower.

Kay – Ready for action! This painting has lots of energy.

Joy – Fabulous job on your pinecone. Love the blues in the shadows.

Scamall – I recognize your style immediately. Just beautiful.

I decided to challenge myself here, so be gentle. I haven't done a lot of portraits and never one with teeth. He's done in gouache in my Canson black paper sketchbook, 7X10". It was hard to get the right complexion on the black paper.

thumb_IMG_2849.jpg

Last edited:
Lovely work Scamall, such a light tough and a perfect balance of watercolour and ink.

Great job on the pirate portrait Sanlynn. The effort you put in to getting the skin tones right on the black paper definitely paid off, it works really well with the darker background and clothing colours.

Claudia, I love your landscape. Good job with the trees in the background, just the right amount of detail.

Scamall, you did a wonderful job on the bee and portrait. Good job with the teeth too.

Thanks for the comments on my paintings.

Scamall, you have really a hand for the small animals. Your delicate pen and wash depicts the fly/bee(?) wonderfully.

Sanlynn, your pirate is gorgeous. A good likeliness and a natural expression.

All of the examples from the artists are so lovely. I think the choice of photo prompts was very nice with a variety of approaches available. Thanks to everyone!!!

AMS - Great job on the frog. Excellent b/g too. Your pinecone sketch is good too, especially the 2nd version. Very nice sketching on the bee and Zinnia.
Hawkmoth - Fabulous job on the pinecone - very realistic. Love your gazebo scenes. The autumn one is my fav. Great colors.
Christel - Another fabulous pinecone! Love your work!
WRU - Beautiful job on the sailboat. Your gazebo scene and the frog are very well done. The frog's eye is perfect! The bee and Zinnia are very nice also.
Kay - Awwe, sweet frog. Love your use of Brusho. You make it look fun to use!
Joy - Your pinecone is lovely, (not wonky at all). Great b/g as well.
Scamall - "Bee-utiful" work! I love this version!
Sanlynn - Wow! Great for someone who hasn't done many portraits. Also on black paper must have been difficult. Good work!
Hope I didn't miss anyone! Lovely work everyone!

Back