Gesso Test WIP - Morning Surf

MurrayG

Contributing Member
Hi Folks. I've been painting quite a bit - refreshing the walls inside of the house...... BUT, finally managed some time for myself to draw/paint.
This is the long-promised test of Liquitex clear gesso on watercolour paper. Its standard Daler 200gm hotpress (brom a block). I chopped a sheet in half so its about 41x30cm. I gave one side a gesso coat. The sheet rolled very slightly, so when dry, I held the reverse over some stream and then taped it to my board and it eventually flattened out. Left it for a couple of days and then lightly sanded the surface with fine emery.
The painting was mainly Rembrandts and a few Senneliers for some areas. The tooth was actually OK and not toooo pronounced. The surface held the pastel quite well. There was still a "texture", mostly lines from the brush I used to apply the gesso.
I used a reference photo as just that, reference while I got under way. This is the first dedicated seascape I have attempted and on top of the trial gesso surface, I think I can safely scale up to my planned larger work. I am still working on it and some passages need a little attention but comments are welcome. While getting an even background still presented some blending issues, the surface can take blending and still have enough tooth for about maybe 4-5 layers., I guess with a heavier paper an acrylic or watercolour underpainting is possible.

IMG_1391.jpg

Wow! This is awesome, Murray! Really, excellent work here. I can see all the work and details you spent your time on. Bravo!

I’d say your gesso experiment turned out really well, Murray! Heavier paper would definitely help with the warping issue so I hope you’ll be able to find some. There’s a great sense of motion in those waves!

Thanks Ayin and Donna. On the original, the greens are brighter, but the photo is close-ish. I will make some adjustments to the sky and foreground, but the sea is close to holding as much as it can without fixing or brushing back so its close to done. Thanks. Maybe a roller or foam would smooth out the "brush" texture of the gesso or second coating and sanding. Im calling it usable.

Very well done!

This guy- https://www.theartistsroad.net/articles/tomchristopherprofile (from WC) used to make his own sanded surface using gesso and marble dust on paper- then he started rather deliberately leaving brush marks and using *that* texture, too. Nice to know the trick worked for you, too.

I really like the yellow green light in that wave and your foamy-edge line is very nice.

Thanks JStar. Having seen your work, your thoughts are most welcome. I recall your wet canvas stuff. Thanks

Thanks Triduana. The sea scene was a learning experience and I can see why folks are hooked on them. The endless possibilities .... The gesso surface also shakes up some of my fixed habits. Makes me think how to paint differently etc. Thanks.

While getting an even background still presented some blending issues---
Softer pastels may help areas like the sky- after a layer or two, they blend themselves- and that allows the minerals of which they are made to not be compacted by finger or a mechanical blending.

They don't lose their texture, I suppose is another way to put it.

Personally, I find Senniliers to be mostly very soft (except the reds- something about carmine, I suppose) and Richesons has an extra soft set. Richesons are quite soft, and I, personally, would eat bread and drink water for a whole month to get moreMoreMORE Terry Ludwigs. Those are absolutely perfect sticks in to-die-for hues and values.

But really, if you stand back to viewing distance, I'll bet you can only see your blending 'problem' if YOU look for it; no one else sees it. Tom used a roller some, I think, but then he got really loose, and he liked the texture left by the brushmarks.

And, should you decide to run away to the sea, ;) you can do worse than to watch a few of this guy's videos- he was at WC, too. https://www.facebook.com/byron.pickering/

Last edited:
Turned out beautifully! I like the textures in the sky. Your ocean colors are spot on. Very nice work, and the fact that you tried something different is an added bonus! :)

I wanted to say that the sky is also great, but Love that ocean!

Also, please spell out Wet Canvas (WC) for those here that don't know what that is. Or any other unusual abbreviations. Thanks!

The painting looks great.

Honestly, though I haven't done a lot of testing, I'm not sold on Liquitex Clear Gesso for pastels, though lots of artists recommend this. I found it far too gritty, which could have been caused by doing two coats, but still. And having to sand it down just to get the grit under control is not my thing. However, I favor PastelMat, so obviously I'm not a true sanded paper aficionado anyway.

If you're going to use this for a very large project as you described, I would opt for something like a tempered Masonite (MDF?) panel sealed first, then using the Liquitex Clear Gesso. Stable, sturdy for big sizes and holds gesso well, in my experience.

I know you have difficulty getting supplies where you are. But do at least check out the YouTube video from Spectrafix on their new grit product for pastels.

Hi Bart. Yes, it's a local supply issue. I do order stuff from online but if it comes from outside EU it becomes a headache for the posties here. The gesso is really for the big painting, otherwise I'm with you on Pastelmat, i bought all the cities stock, 3 pads, in Zagreb a while back.
Raw gesso is like sharkskin, very gritty. I think it needs 2 coats. Then sanding back to reduce the tooth. Even then the texture is evident. There are certain paintings i see it's ideal. For instance BEFORE i worked the painting further, the texture was beautiful for the ocean surface, emulating the light on the water. Will check Bauhaus for MDF. But a full watercolour hot press should be ok for this project. Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi Jstarr. Thanks for the hints. I would love to try the Ludwig's but the cost of them PLUS the import would be insane here. I agree with the Senneliers on top. It's usually how i work. I don't always blend, rather let the colour speak.... I err on the pointalism side of things. But sky etc to me often need an even texture, not always, but when it does texture gets in my way. But, when i drive up the coast soon, we go past some marble cutters. I may stop and ask for some waste dust!! I tried tack and it was a disaster. If i win lotto all my wishes will come true 🤪 and i but all sorts a goodies.

I think i have stopped. Reaching the limits of the surface without going to impasto.
As a trial it's ok, learnt heaps and I feel confident of the big piece now
View attachment 30961
One of the things I really admire about this is how you kept your waves from looking regimented- they may be all coming into shore, but they sure aren't dress-right-dress. It's something I have a problem with- I tend to unconsciously "put things in order" or "make it all neat" and then when I see I did that, I have to go back in and brush away the parts that offend me, and do it again- this time trying NOT to be so orderly.

But your work here on those waves is very well done- not static, I can see the movement- frozen, yes, but those waves look as if they will resume their inexorable journey to the shore. Congratulations!

Back