WIP Waves rolling in - Boat or no boat?

This turned out beautifully, Murray! I'm loving your colorful waves. This one is all atmosphere and tranquility. You were right to decide against adding any other elements. Applause for you! ❤️
Thanks Terri, glad you like it and appreciate the feedback. There are parts I feel could be better... And I would live to put wavelets in but I have to settle for where it's at. Overall I am happy given the size. Thanks again

It works as it is. It's a lovely "portrait" of water, wind and sky. If you add a boat you change the focal point and the meaning, unless it's tiny on the horizon. Why would you want to do that? My observation is that most times when folks paint a seascape (or skyscape over the sea) they have one focal point of difference from the rhythmic pattern of the waves. Your sky provides some of that. If I were to change anything I would provide that in a different wave break toward the right side foreground, rather than any kind of boat. But it doesn't need any changing to be effective. It is as it is.

It works as it is. It's a lovely "portrait" of water, wind and sky. If you add a boat you change the focal point and the meaning, unless it's tiny on the horizon. Why would you want to do that? My observation is that most times when folks paint a seascape (or skyscape over the sea) they have one focal point of difference from the rhythmic pattern of the waves. Your sky provides some of that. If I were to change anything I would provide that in a different wave break toward the right side foreground, rather than any kind of boat. But it doesn't need any changing to be effective. It is as it is.
Hi Bart... Funny you should say that... I'd been looking & looking and finally softened wave 2 & 4 on the right side, then you posted! We agree.
The change is very minor, it kinda lowers and softens those waves a tiny bit. In the original block in, I misjudged the wave sequence a bit and had to "move" the foreground slightly. It has always irked me.
Anyway its done with now and hope to take it to frame next week.
Thanks for the input and encouragement

Giving it a boat would change the painting entirely, but in leaving it as is, you still have quite an exquisite piece here. Very well done!!! ♥️

Back