Beached Boats

Balaji

This is an A4 size ink and watercolour sketch on 270 gsm Chitrapat watercolour paper (matt). Of late I have been trying out a very inexpensive gel pen and so far I am very pleased with the results for casual sketching. This time my main consideration was to find out whether the ink gel was waterproof. It is.

To test it out I used an image that I saw on Pinterest and liked very much. Unfortunately I do not know the name of the artist. I liked the looseness of the sketch and the minimal use of colours. I have stayed reasonably faithful to the reference image, but I chose to paint with the available dirty and dry leftover colours on my palette.

Beached Boats.jpeg

Very beautiful.
A usual problem I face with most office-type gel or liquid ink pens is that they are water soluble. They are good for sketching, however if I try to add some watercolor the ink is diluted by the watercolor and smudges.

Very beautiful.
A usual problem I face with most office-type gel or liquid ink pens is that they are water soluble. They are good for sketching, however if I try to add some watercolor the ink is diluted by the watercolor and smudges.
Thank you.
The ink in this pen seems to be waterproof as seen in this sketch. I also did another ink and wash sketch (Sketching at the Beach) with the same pen a day or two later, with more watercolour, and the ink did not smudge at all. I have posted that sketch too in Water Media.

This is an A4 size ink and watercolour sketch on 270 gsm Chitrapat watercolour paper (matt). Of late I have been trying out a very inexpensive gel pen and so far I am very pleased with the results for casual sketching. This time my main consideration was to find out whether the ink gel was waterproof. It is.

To test it out I used an image that I saw on Pinterest and liked very much. Unfortunately I do not know the name of the artist. I liked the looseness of the sketch and the minimal use of colours. I have stayed reasonably faithful to the reference image, but I chose to paint with the available dirty and dry leftover colours on my palette.

View attachment 39814
Wonderful. I know an excellent watercolour artist who uses gel pens pin her sketches as well. She 'swears by them", as a way of quick sketching.

Thank you JennieJo. Yes, I have used one or two other gel pens and I find the flow consistently smooth and easy.

Back