Artists with Disabilities

I couldn't possible buy this guy's schtick (above) when he goes against everything that's already known about how psychology, psychiatry, and how the amygdala works. Telling people they can overcome their depression or trauma with their attitude and mind is dangerous, IMO.

I agree entirely with Arty. Tolle full of it. I know all about bootstrapping oneself out of depression. I did that for most of my life. But in my fifties it got so bad I couldn't do it anymore. It would have been like trying to bootstrap myself out of diabetes.

No one is instantly a master. Medication helps, no denying this.

However, medication isn't a cure.

Hence it's useful to learn from Tolle, he has insight.

Since he was in our place, once.

Sigh. One size doesn't fit all, John, despite all your attempts to convince everybody it does.

Because life is worthless without emotion. You'll have an emotion-free eternity after you die. Meanwhile, without emotion, you might as well be dead already, a condition to which the spiritually minded often have an unfortunate attachment.

I don't fear a lack of emotion, John. As for suffering, yep, a good deal of life is about suffering, though much more for some than for others. You want to exist in a half dead condition you call spirituality, have at it, but kindly don't put your thoughts into my head. Without that awful emotion called love, which leads to so much suffering, life isn't worth living at all.

Back