Abstract Experiments

rcleary171

I have been exploring the realms of abstract painting. I started some historical research and painted some works for the past year. I enjoy the experience (which is the point) but I have had some success is selling a few paintings.

This one is titled: Heath (gouache and ink on paper). This one was painted shortly have watching a documentary on Rothko.

Heath.JPG

I like that one. The colours remind me of some of the experiments Josef Albers did when he was at the Bauhaus and also in later years.

I like this too. There's something very calming about horizontal bands of color, especially when the colors are related.

Well this is so interesting. I was in a horizontal stripes mode for a while several years ago. And I looked around the Internet for a long time trying to find examples of other artists working in a similar style, just to compare techniques and get ideas. What I found was mostly photography, not painting. I don't find Rothko's work that similar to yours or to mine because he uses such big blocks of color, plus to me anyway, his works don't speak of a landscape, whereas yours does. And mine are intentionally landscapes. I like this "Heath" of yours. The black stripe gives it a sense of mystery especially when surrounded by colors more reminiscent of nature. Maybe I'll post one of mine so you can see what I mean.

This is titled “Sunset” (watercolor & ink). My first abstract sale at my first craft show. It was a bitter sweat transition. I was thrilled that someone wanted to own my work but it was also sad to give up a painting I was proud of. I need to get over my emotional attachment to my work.

50B4A37C-E5C5-4D9B-B0EB-3FC3DF249ED7.jpeg

Last edited:
I like your watercolor too - evocative of a landscape.
Just a suggestion: crop your photos so only the work itself shows in the image. It's less distracting.

Both are very good. I especially like the top one. Congrats on doing so well with these. :)

The bottom one is amazing! The top one is great, but if I needed to pick I’d pick the bottom one. Something about it reminds me of how it looks out today. And that it was created awhile ago, makes it amazing.

Back