Why do you paint?

To be honest i dont know.
Its fun and i have kind of always done it, but only last year i really started to do it more serious.
I also grew up in a quite artistic household so that had an impact on me.
My grandmohter (from my dad side) makes amazing paintings, my mohter and my grandpa (from my dad side) have quite an interested in art and my dad knows how to play an instrument .
My grandparents (from my dads side) home is filled wiht big amounts of original and reproduced art. As a child it was the most normal thing to just have art everwhere.

To be honest i dont know.
Its fun and i have kind of always done it, but only last year i really started to do it more serious.
I also grew up in a quite artistic household so that had an impact on me.
My grandmohter (from my dad side) makes amazing paintings, my mohter and my grandpa (from my dad side) have quite an interested in art and my dad knows how to play an instrument .
My grandparents (from my dads side) home is filled wiht big amounts of original and reproduced art. As a child it was the most normal thing to just have art everwhere.
Quite a gift in itself!

I drew and shared pictures with other kids early in my school years, and I've never stopped doodling in a cartoon-y kind of way. Not to sound dramatic, but I am compelled to create something, regardless of the quality of the finished piece or of any feelings of failure or disappointment that often accompany the process. I think of myself as more of a compulsive scribbler than as an artist, and that's OK :)

Why do you paint?

I forgot why and just recently rediscovered why I paint. Like last week. I had stopped for a while.

Years ago (maybe 20) I was a total computer geek. I grew up as one. I was completely obsessed with technology and science.

One day I was going to work, and it was a perfect summer day. It was warm. The birds were singing, and the smell of flowers was amazing. I knew it was nice but had no way to enjoy it. No way to connect with it. Nature was a foreign environment for me. After that, I realized I was very one-dimensional and missing something.

I saw a painter on TV. It was Bob Fagan's painting on Location. It blew me away. He was so happy painting. So I started painting. That was a whole mind game in accepting to do it.

Now I sit in the middle of wildflowers, or in the woods and paint. Thru painting, I can enjoy nature and feel more connected to it. The biggest part of art is observing and opening yourself up to new things.

CB, I relate to your comment regarding connections--maybe that's why I have always enjoyed plein air.

I've been a graphic artist for many years, but had never considered putting paint on canvas until last year, when my wife asked if I could get some paint and redo her faded garden gnome. After getting some cheap acrylic paints at Dollar Tree and repainting Mr. Gnome, I grabbed a couple of 8x10 canvases at $1 each, and tried to be creative with them in Bob Ross fashion. Friends encouraged me to continue, and here we are: 16 months and about 80 paintings later...

This is the first of those 8x10s, when I had no idea what I was doing.

Grandfather.jpg

From a fairly young age, 5-6 years old, I spent alot of time drawing…it simply felt natural to me. After all, we are all wired to reproduce images and memories.
My mother encouraged me, maybe to keep me out of her hair? Drawing and painting has always been my alone place where I find myself. I got pretty good at drawing and it became important to my self esteem.
When I started using brushes pastels, etc. to create 2D illusions with color I realized the challenge and difficulty…and..the real magic that could be made.
Now I get satisfaction from creating and crafting art, from growing plants, making music..yada yada..without any external stresses. Just my inner struggles to face…as usual.
I think the world would be a better place if more people created things and felt constructive rather than being consumed with consumption itself. There’s pride and satisfaction in making things.

Last edited:
Back