Why do you paint?

robertsbuford

Initially, I came to painting simply as a relaxing hobby. But it's actually much more than that - painting has both intellectual and spiritual benefits. It helps me discover myself, express myself and is a way for me to communicate. I've found that paint has helped me be more creative and more optimistic.

Flowercat

To be honest i dont know.
Its fun and i have kind of always done it, but only last year i really started to do it more serious.
I also grew up in a quite artistic household so that had an impact on me.
My grandmohter (from my dad side) makes amazing paintings, my mohter and my grandpa (from my dad side) have quite an interested in art and my dad knows how to play an instrument .
My grandparents (from my dads side) home is filled wiht big amounts of original and reproduced art. As a child it was the most normal thing to just have art everwhere.

Desforges

To be honest i dont know.
Its fun and i have kind of always done it, but only last year i really started to do it more serious.
I also grew up in a quite artistic household so that had an impact on me.
My grandmohter (from my dad side) makes amazing paintings, my mohter and my grandpa (from my dad side) have quite an interested in art and my dad knows how to play an instrument .
My grandparents (from my dads side) home is filled wiht big amounts of original and reproduced art. As a child it was the most normal thing to just have art everwhere.
Quite a gift in itself!

laika

Loitering Member
I drew and shared pictures with other kids early in my school years, and I've never stopped doodling in a cartoon-y kind of way. Not to sound dramatic, but I am compelled to create something, regardless of the quality of the finished piece or of any feelings of failure or disappointment that often accompany the process. I think of myself as more of a compulsive scribbler than as an artist, and that's OK :)

cranberryartworks

Why do you paint?

I forgot why and just recently rediscovered why I paint. Like last week. I had stopped for a while.

Years ago (maybe 20) I was a total computer geek. I grew up as one. I was completely obsessed with technology and science.

One day I was going to work, and it was a perfect summer day. It was warm. The birds were singing, and the smell of flowers was amazing. I knew it was nice but had no way to enjoy it. No way to connect with it. Nature was a foreign environment for me. After that, I realized I was very one-dimensional and missing something.

I saw a painter on TV. It was Bob Fagan's painting on Location. It blew me away. He was so happy painting. So I started painting. That was a whole mind game in accepting to do it.

Now I sit in the middle of wildflowers, or in the woods and paint. Thru painting, I can enjoy nature and feel more connected to it. The biggest part of art is observing and opening yourself up to new things.

ntl

Contributing Member
CB, I relate to your comment regarding connections--maybe that's why I have always enjoyed plein air.