Who is your all time favorite artist?

If we have to be restricted to just one, then I will say Richard Tuttle and be done with it. Why? Ha! I just "get" the work, if not the writing. Although, I do appreciate watching an audience sit through a reading.

Note the sock insideout.

good question, the first time I would have answered Leonardo or MIchelangelo, 10 or 12 years ago, I would have said Caravaggio,
today, and in the last 2 years I would have said Schiele, because even with a nothing, with anything, a pencil, or a charcoal he could create works, figures that happened as much as the works of the aforementioned artists, therefore something immense with something that 'appearances and it's simple, I don't know it's something that stuns me but it's not this, I like drawings like his paintings, there is something immense with little but and that I think are really beautiful and having to choose only one name I therefore feel mention it.
however making one name is tough, I probably admire many artists in the same way, the ones you mentioned are extraordinary (and it's interesting what stlukesguild says about what we appreciate,) and here itself.

I'm just so surprised that no one has mentioned ME !!
LMAO.gif

Will somebody please choose sno! Otherwise, we will never hear the end of it. 😁
I love Tuttle. Glad you brought him up.
Wow! And I thought I would have been pilloried choosing him. He had a show in London a couple of years ago, and I was biting my fist as I couldn't see it. So close yet so far.

Tapies' paintings/sculptures don't do a great deal for me. On the other hand, I saw a large exhibition of his prints some years back in New York and was quite impressed. They had an incredible tactile nature... almost embossed.

Vermeer.

I got to see almost the whole of his oeuvre over one weekend a good many years ago. The National Gallery was holding a major retrospective of maybe 30 paintings. They offered no ticket reservations. It was "first come first serve" and they only had some 2500 tickets per day. I drove to Washington with a friend from art school and later studio partner. We arrived outside the museum around 7:30 AM. The museum didn't open until 10:00 but already there was a line of some 400+ people. We quickly parked and got in line... even through it was snowing and the temperature was close to 0. Representatives of the museum stepped out to assess the crown several time. People tried to talk them into just passing out tickets to those in line so we could leave and sit in a coffee shop or restaurant as opposed to freezing to death. They were having none of it. Ultimately, it turned into a great communal event. A couple of guys went and got stacks of newspapers to put on the sidewalk to create a barrier between the freezing concrete and our feet. Another group took orders and picked up coffee for many in the line. A couple college kids had footballs in their backpacks and we started a football game in the snow which temporarily helped with the cold and the boredom (this was pre-smartphones). All of it was worth it. The paintings were stunning! Absolute jewels! The colors don't reproduce in photographs at all. We were so struck by Vermeer that we decided to drive up to New York the next day to visit the Met and the Frick which housed another 7 or 8 paintings by the artist. The only painting that we didn't see was this masterpiece, The Allegory of Painting, which the Kunsthistorisches Museum felt was to fragile to travel:

25artpa.smaller.jpg

Back