Two kooks

caroljp02.jpg

Joshua Tree a long time ago

caroles.jpg

My bro and me

mikeandme2-3small.jpg

Me and drummer Billy Cobham

cobhamandme.jpg

Sorry, small and bury, but dig that wallpaper!!!!

guiatrcarol.jpg

I actually hate being photographed, and my sweetie hates it even more. The youngest photo I've shown here is around thirteen years old; there have been none since.

My sister down in Florida has more childhood pics of me than I do. She's very sentimental about family. I'm not. My childhood was nowhere near as bad as Arty's, but it was still no picnic. I'm not childless by choice for no reason, nor is Robbie.

so I “obediently” stood at stiff attention with my “serious” face on. [...] she obviously felt the need to identify “the dad person”...with ball point pen and an arrow to boot...just to make sure we all knew who he was. It’s both cringe-worthy and funny and sort of sums me up (and the fam) in one photographic nutshell.
All these remarks about your childhood make me sad.
Couple years ago at someone's art show, mjp behind me.
He looks like your bodyguard, with those sunglasses and pretending not the be there.

Well, I'm an old guy,. but I wasn't ALWAYS this old. Here's me, playing both banjo, and guitar with a country band, probably in the early 1970's.

Bill_Guitar_Larry.jpg

Bill_Banjo_Larry.jpg

Had lots of fun in those days. Played every dive on East Washington Ave., in Madison, WI.

This is me, now:
Bill_At_Easel_03.jpg

Last edited:
Whoa, what a sharp dresser! Lotsa blackface (for those ignorant of Fenderese, that is not a racist term). Whaddya got, a Twin, a Pro and Bassman head? I don't recognize the speaker cabinet. Cool Custom. Awful lot of heavy gear to haul around.

Bill, are you the one playing the white Telecaster? I love the vest!!! :)
Yeah, ......Photo has done it an injustice. It is a Yellow Telecaster. It is now worth about 10 times what I paid for it then!
Those are home-made outfits. My wife made that shirt, and the vest, as I recall. I was probably playing through my Fender Vibrolux amp back then. After I bought my black Tele, I was playing through a Fender Twin Reverb. I loved flared pants, and I still think they were the most comfortable pants to come down the pike.

My band leader, the guy in the middle was an amplification enthusiast, and most of the time I wash't sure what he was playing, or singing through, because he changed equipment quite often. At one time I had an authentic Leslie Speaker that I played through. It was a big as a trunk! Larry hooked up my foot pedal so that not only would the Leslie COME ON, when I pressed it, but my amp would also TURN OFF! This gave us one of the most unique sounds in town. When I played my mandolin with that arrangement, I would kick the Leslie in for the bridge of a polka, and it sounded like a Wurlitzer Organ! I actually had younger rock musicians in the crowd asking how we managed to achieve such a sound!

Last edited:
Whoa, what a sharp dresser! Lotsa blackface (for those ignorant of Fenderese, that is not a racist term). Whaddya got, a Twin, a Pro and Bassman head? I don't recognize the speaker cabinet. Cool Custom. Awful lot of heavy gear to haul around.

No, my amp was NOT a "blackface", although today, I understand they're worth more than my "silver"-bezeled ones are. I still own my two Telecasters, the Epiphone Banjo, and the Vibrolux, and the Twin reverb amps. Some of those amps were so heavy, it seemed as though they were bolted to the floor. Especially my Twin Reverb.

Last edited:
You‘re looking like a true Country Gentleman there Bill!
Wow, thank you!......I STILL play "Fox on the Run", but now I play it on guitar, when I jam with my friend down the street. I was a great fan of "The Country Gentlemen", in my bluegrass days!! But, "Fox on the Run" is STILL on my repertoir, and my friend and I do what I call, "Riders in the Sky harmony"--that is two of us singing that which SHOULD be 4-part harmony! :cool:. Thank you for that link....it was GREAT!

Last edited:
No, my amp was NOT a "blackface", although today, I understand they're worth more than my "silver"-bezeled ones are. I still own my two Telecasters, the Epiphone Banjo, and the Vibrolux, and the Twin reverb amps. Some of those amps were so heavy, it seemed as though they were bolted to the floor. Especially my Twin Reverb.

Huh? Those don't look like silverface fascia panels, though the piping around the grille cloth does look like 68 silverface. If they made a blackface fascia panel amp with piping, I don't know about it, but I'm not a true expert on amps.

Yeah, blackfaces are worth more ($2500 for a Deluxe Reverb, I don't think so!) but non-master volume silverfaces have gone up quite a bit in value, basically being the same thing with a different fascia panel.

I always liked the Vibrolux (I guessed Pro, identical except for the speaker configuration, 2-10" and 1-12" respectively). Twins are just too damn heavy. Eighty pounds, no thanks.

Huh? Those don't look like silverface fascia panels, though the piping around the grille cloth does look like 68 silverface. If they made a blackface fascia panel amp with piping, I don't know about it, but I'm not a true expert on amps.

Yeah, blackfaces are worth more ($2500 for a Deluxe Reverb, I don't think so!) but non-master volume silverfaces have gone up quite a bit in value, basically being the same thing with a different fascia panel.

I always liked the Vibrolux (I guessed Pro, identical except for the speaker configuration, 2-10" and 1-12" respectively). Twins are just too damn heavy. Eighty pounds, no thanks.
My wife helped me carry it!.......LOL. Oh.....I think the two amps directly behind me are my Vibrolux, sitting on a chair and what MIGHT be the Leslie next to it. Not sure, though.

Last edited:
The guy on the guitar in the center and the guy on the drums look like twins. :)

Back