What art supplies have you bought recently?

Today I found a copy of the Nathan Goldstein book " The Art of Responsive Drawing" for $3.99 at my favorite thrift store. And a couple nice gardening books...
Great find. Some of favourite art books have been found in OP shops, your thrift shops. From nemory the OP comes from opportunity.

Acrylic ink refillable pens. Looking at pen n ink options to keep in my car for spot arting! Latest trials are best so far. Look like old fountain pen, fill with a draw up capsule. Bit fiddly. Small ink well. But brushes are OK, keeping shape so far. And tip gives nice thin libe advertised for oriental script and calligraphy.
Test on old sketchbook page.
IMG_20230315_181632_1-02.jpeg

A new computer. I've been finding the computer very handy to try out ideas in photoshop. Unfortunately, my last one died on me leaving me for more than a week without this ability or even able to post on here, but now I'm back.

I guess frames can be considered art supplies? I bought a huge quantity of frames several years ago when they were on sale at an attractive price, in groups of ten. I still have several boxes full of ten, but I needed one last week in a size I didn't have on hand and went to the website where I originally got them. I was pretty surprised, though I suppose I shouldn't have been, to find that the current 10 pack "sale" price was now more than 300% higher than when I bought them. It seems like frames are now somehow related to fresh eggs in the pricing department.

Well, I picked up a Lyra set of 12 warercolors in pans, with a tube of "deck-weiss" (Chinese White) at the thrift shop. Paid a whopping $1.99 US for it.

If I don't like them, I can pop out the round plastic pans, soak out the paint, and replace it with a diffrent brand, and carry on.

--Rich

I guess frames can be considered art supplies? I bought a huge quantity of frames several years ago when they were on sale at an attractive price, in groups of ten. I still have several boxes full of ten, but I needed one last week in a size I didn't have on hand and went to the website where I originally got them. I was pretty surprised, though I suppose I shouldn't have been, to find that the current 10 pack "sale" price was now more than 300% higher than when I bought them. It seems like frames are now somehow related to fresh eggs in the pricing department.
Were they wood? The price of wood has gone up about 300% since Covid.

I bought a large piece of masonite board at a nearby hardware store, and had them cut it down to manageable pieces for collage work, or maybe painting. I don't want a lot of canvases around: I'm not a classic painter and try to avoid bulk. I got 9 16x20" pieces - I asked them to save the scraps for me, too, but they tossed them anyway. :rolleyes:

Well, I picked up a Lyra set of 12 warercolors in pans, with a tube of "deck-weiss" (Chinese White) at the thrift shop. Paid a whopping $1.99 US for it.

If I don't like them, I can pop out the round plastic pans, soak out the paint, and replace it with a diffrent brand, and carry on.

--Rich
Perculiar...
I picked up a couple of multimedia pads –one 5.5"×8.5“, the other 7"×10" – and decided to check out the Lyra colors. As I was laying down swatches of the colors, I was thinking, "These look familiar!?" Digging out other swatches, I was surprised to see that the Lyra colors matched my most ancient tubed Pentel Water Colors. I asked my wife who is also an artist, and she agreed that they matched. WeeerD!

--Rich
(What is it with me and Pentel??)

I am super excited because I just ordered myself a wood steamer from the big A! My plan is to rig up something that will allow me to steam bundles of my willow. Steaming changes the color to a dark chocolate brown, and it makes the willow much more pliable and easier to weave. I'm going for easier to weave!!! :)

Last edited:
I stopped in Michaels and they were having a sale. I very rarely buy things there but i was able to get 3 18x24 stretched canvases for a little less then the canvas boards i can get in that size.
Also grabbed some foam brushes to hold me over on varnishing until I can get an order placed for new cheap brushes.
20230324_101513.jpg

Awhile back, I had bought a u.go pochade on clearance for $25, and the other day I found and purchased the matching spare shelf for $5. I also purchased a second spare shelf for my Guerilla French Resistance pochade for $10 and a 9x12 pad of Stonehenge paper for $8.

I haven't purchased any new supplies lately... but I need to do so now. I'm in the process of working on a "painting" (mixed media pastel/acrylic, etc...) and am thinking of using a good amount of green... but I have almost no green whatsoever in spite of having a good deal of paint and pastels. Of course, I've never been much on painting landscapes so green has been a color I seldom use.

Painting larger now in oil so I went to Michael's and bought an expensive large #10 bristle filbert and flat and a cheap large fan brush. It was buy two and get one free so one of the expensive ones was free. It's a real pleasure using these brushes. They go to a nice sharp tip and the spring is perfect. The whole painting large in oils while standing and the canvas being four feet away is new to me. Feels good though. I actually exiled all the watercolors and acrylics and the brand new set of gouache from the studio so they don't distract me.

Last edited:
Painting larger now in oil so I went to Michael's and bought an expensive large #10 bristle filbert and flat and a cheap large fan brush. It was buy two and get one free so one of the expensive ones was free. It's a real pleasure using these brushes. They go to a nice sharp tip and the spring is perfect. The whole painting large in oils while standing and the canvas being four feet away is new to me. Feels good though. I actually exiled all the watercolors and acrylics and the brand new set of gouache from the studio so they don't distract me.
How large are you going John?

Back