What art supplies have you bought recently?

Not a purchase, an acquisition. I was in my local bank recently and they've got jars of ball point pens around the teller area. These are advertising pens for the bank, green, with squarish barrels and the smoothest roller ball action of any of my pens. Free for the taking, so I snagged two. :)

I have some brushes from my initial purchase from Rosemary & Co. on the way, as well as Blick. Recently I saw a video on YouTube about Hazel Soan and her book, and I was intrigued. Other than a few book sale cheapies, I have not purchased an art book for years. This is a heavy, hardcover, 192 page book of excellent quality. Through the power of Uncle Google, I discovered Blackwell's in the UK that was considerably less expensive than Amazon, and half the cost of B & N. Free shipping is included to the US, and the item originated in the States. It was well wrapped in a heavy cardboard sleeve and was delivered in 12 days, which included a holiday. Her style is a wee bit loose for my "style" (which is a work in progress), but her color mixing is amazing. What she can do with just two colors is legendary.

What also appealed to me is that this is not a beginner's book. There are many out there (of which I own), so there is no "introduction" to materials, drawing, etc. So the whole book is about color.

010C6C0A-4BA7-49E7-A445-3AE6D5F2971B_1_201_a.jpeg

2517AA0B-B539-4700-9B1C-02CAD0313F53_1_201_a.jpeg

That looks to be an interesting book Joy. Most of the time I use a palette of 2 colours plus white and Payne's grey, but sometimes I go to the other extreme and use all 12 points of the colour wheel compass (although in what I like to think is a controlled way:rolleyes:).

Glad that you found 'our' Blackwells! I've spent many a happy hour browsing there over the years. It's often worth visiting the publishers websites directly I find, especially given their international distribution network.

As to my own recent purchases: having decided that Liquitex professional heavy body acrylics are so much better than the various things I've used previously, and noting that the price has shot up recently, I've started stocking up whenever I see a decent offer. The sets of 12 x 2oz are generally good value and I discovered that the mix of hues can differ very significantly from box to box, which is great for someone like me who doesn't buy into the 'you only need 3 primaries or 6 split primaries' argument. I want to populate colour space as densely as possible!🌈

A cheap set of seven "Italian painting knives". I'd bought another cheap set about a year ago and found them to be rubbish. Far too stiff, the blades barely bent at all on my glass palette. I tried sanding them thinner to improve them with some limited success. This new set is great with just the right amount of flex. Unfortunately I can't recommend the brand as they're without any name at all. With mahogany handles and brass ferrules, perhaps they're cosmetic rejects of one of the better makers?

That looks to be an interesting book Joy. Most of the time I use a palette of 2 colours plus white and Payne's grey, but sometimes I go to the other extreme and use all 12 points of the colour wheel compass (although in what I like to think is a controlled way:rolleyes:).

Glad that you found 'our' Blackwells! I've spent many a happy hour browsing there over the years. It's often worth visiting the publishers websites directly I find, especially given their international distribution network.
Thanks for that advice!
Today I found a copy of the Nathan Goldstein book " The Art of Responsive Drawing" for $3.99 at my favorite thrift store. And a couple nice gardening books...
I have found (too) many art books at thrift sales. Several years ago, our local library had a large book sale and I purchased about 50 hard cover painting books for $1 each. (some one must have donated an artist's collection recently.) I kept about 12-15, and sold the rest on eBay. Many were OOP.

Well, my new watercolor brushes from Rosemary & Co. arrived today. There are some wash brushes, eradicator, liner, detail and spiky comber for detail. This is my first order. The reviews I have seen have been nothing but glowing. I enjoyed that they sent a catalogue per request with actual size photos of the brushes prior to purchase. My older brushes are not great quality nor in the greatest shape.

I ordered a few things from Dick Blick that should be here soon. I only order supplies once or twice a year, as I am not as prolific as many others here.

7289EA31-7D57-4A63-9CB7-8DCD35F79454_1_201_a.jpeg

Bought two more wc tubepaints cerelean blue (pb36) and genuine rose (pv19).Was actually thinking about magenta (pr122) but that was sold out. No matter still have some bought in a half pan.
Also grabbed a set of 5 faber castell watersoluble graphite pencils. Thinking about combining them with watercolor.
Still have to try them out. Weirdly, new art supplies seem to need a certain incubation time on my desk before I start using them... :ROFLMAO:

Bought two more wc tubepaints cerelean blue (pb36) and genuine rose (pv19).Was actually thinking about magenta (pr122) but that was sold out. No matter still have some bought in a half pan.
Also grabbed a set of 5 faber castell watersoluble graphite pencils. Thinking about combining them with watercolor.
Still have to try them out. Weirdly, new art supplies seem to need a certain incubation time on my desk before I start using them... :ROFLMAO:
Oddly, I always wait to use new supplies, also. It must be the habit of using the usual, or guilt for buying something new that isn't a necessity.

Oddly, I always wait to use new supplies, also. It must be the habit of using the usual, or guilt for buying something new that isn't a necessity.
Thanks Joy, good to hear I'm not alone in this...
My new Talens watercolor brush I bought last summer had to wait 6 months only before using it for the first time. Oil paint tubes from the same time are still in a bag, together with blocs of Winsor & Newton paper for oils & acrylics. Instead, I used mostly graphite pencils and charcoal since January. I hope oils don't dry fast in the tubes. In a set of acrylics tubes from about 4 years I found 2 or 3 tubes already solid!
I'm happy that paper and canvas panels resist better on my drawers and shelves. ;)

My new Talens watercolor brush I bought last summer had to wait 6 months only before using it for the first time. Oil paint tubes from the same time are still in a bag, together with blocs of Winsor & Newton paper for oils & acrylics. Instead, I used mostly graphite pencils and charcoal since January. I hope oils don't dry fast in the tubes. In a set of acrylics tubes from about 4 years I found 2 or 3 tubes already solid!
I'm happy that paper and canvas panels resist better on my drawers and shelves. ;)
Being quite the bargain hunter, I over bought watercolor on sale when I first started. Then I didn't paint for many years. Fortunately, even the one I bought 20 years ago are still good. I always make sure the caps are screwed on tightly when I buy them for storage.

That's another perk of watercolor, even if they dry out in the tubes they are not spoiled. They just changed into very akwardly packaged pan paint....
That's true. Acrylics, on the other hand, once dry they remain dry forever !
To prevent this with a set of small plastic cans with acrylics, I managed to add a small quantity of water in them, something like 0.5 to 1 ml and shake them well. I have so many supplies but not much time to use them... :rolleyes:

Back