What art supplies have you bought recently?

I just purchased a few odds and ends:

a manual (portable) pencil sharpener,
a 5 x 5-inch clayboard,
three Da Vinci 000 Cosmotop spin brushes,
and two 5 x 7-inch watercolor blocks.

supplies1.jpg

The only thing that's regrettable are the little paper blocks. It says it's hot press, but it certainly isn't. There is a bit of a tooth in them, and I really prefer smooth paper. :(

I haven't purchased any new supplies lately... but I need to do so now. I'm in the process of working on a "painting" (mixed media pastel/acrylic, etc...) and am thinking of using a good amount of green... but I have almost no green whatsoever in spite of having a good deal of paint and pastels. Of course, I've never been much on painting landscapes so green has been a color I seldom use.
Funny thing ... I have tons of green because I don't do landscapes. No matter how many times I think I'll give it a real go.

I just purchased a few odds and ends:

a manual (portable) pencil sharpener,
a 5 x 5-inch clayboard,
three Da Vinci 000 Cosmotop spin brushes,
and two 5 x 7-inch watercolor blocks.

View attachment 29957

The only thing that's regrettable are the little paper blocks. It says it's hot press, but it certainly isn't. There is a bit of a tooth in them, and I really prefer smooth paper. :(
Love those brushes. Have never known how to describe them.

I could have used a steamer to fix the warped canvas I just brought into some canvas makers to fix. They are re-stretching it for me onto new stretcher bars. A hundred bucks! o_O
Didn't know there was a way of fixing warped canvas. Might try it on some older ones to test.

Didn't know there was a way of fixing warped canvas. Might try it on some older ones to test.
I still don't know if it could even be done that way, but I would have tried it I suppose...or maybe not. Maybe it would have ruined the painting. It was expensive to fix, but worth it I guess. I will not be able to sell it if I hadn't fixed it properly.

How large are you going John?

Oh just saw this Ayin. Not really that large but the largest for me so far 20 x 24 inches.

A collector that likes my work wants something four or five foot square but I don't want to do that just yet. My goal right now is to get maybe ten oil paintings around this size or larger in a cohesive series for a gallery show. They don't know I will showing there yet but I can always dream. :)

Dick Blick keeps sending me coupons, so I got a few more things I wanted, rather than needed. That in itself is an anomaly! Since I heard so much about DS paint colors in Moonglow and Undersea Green, I bought them. Also purchased was a spray bottle, cotton sketchbook (my other ones are rubbish paper), and Inktense pencils which I have been wanting to try. The water brush I got at Michaels for a few buck with a 20% off coupon and a $5 reward. This is the fourth reward coupon they have sent me this year, and I am not sure why. All I do is use it for a very small purchase, spending a few bucks.

IMG_0894.jpeg

Here are some recent acquisitions from the clearance table, thrift store and private sale:

Four Pastel Premier 16x20 boards at $5 each.
Two Ampersand Pastelbords 16x20 at $5 each.
Six Ampersand Gessobords 16x20 at $5 each.
Two Ampersand Scratchbords 9x12 at $3 each.
Thirty six assorted PanPastels all unused plus ten large Softool sponges at $35 for all.
Two 60pc Berol Prismacolor sets most unused at $30 all.
A gently used Dahle 36x48 cutting surface for my drawing table at $10.
A very nice Olfa 35x70 cutting mat at $15.
One Incredible White Mask Friskit kit at $3.
A beautiful 9x12 tea box (future pochade box) at $5. Needs sturdy hinges and varnish. Future gift.
A plastic craft box w eighteen removeable 3.5x3.5x1.5 dividers for $3. (More colored pencil desktop storage or a drying rack for my ACEOs...).

just got a new refrigerator, and I took out the three 17"x 28" plate glass shelves from the old one. Thinking of using one of them as a palette. But I've got used to the convenience of a paper palette not sure I want to switch. The paper is 12"x16" so the 17" x28" would provide a lot more mixing area. dunno

just got a new refrigerator, and I took out the three 17"x 28" plate glass shelves from the old one. Thinking of using one of them as a palette. But I've got used to the convenience of a paper palette not sure I want to switch. The paper is 12"x16" so the 17" x28" would provide a lot more mixing area. dunno
Try it and see which you like better.
I use paper palette and had the idea of switching to something that wasn't disposable thinking it would be cheaper. So eventually I got a wooden palette. I quickly discovered that the paper towels and chemicals to clean it was just as wasteful and more expensive. I also discovered that it was more of an inconvenience having to clean it every time and that I like being able to leave paint on my palette throughout the project without having to worry about it drying and being a lot harder to clean off.

Yes, now that 16ga mentions it, I remember trying all that to save waste. I forgot about how cleaning off the paint with paper towels and cleaners was just as wasteful. I do prefer the paper palettes, too, so disregard what I said before. :ROFLMAO:

Yes, now that 16ga mentions it, I remember trying all that to save waste. I forgot about how cleaning off the paint with paper towels and cleaners was just as wasteful. I do prefer the paper palettes, too, so disregard what I said before. :ROFLMAO:
I got the 18"x28" glass refrigerator shelf palette set up, and was about to squeeze out some paint -- but the thought of having to clean it was so onerous and paper is sooo convenient -- plus I have an18" x 175-foot roll of freezer paper bought recently from Amazon! So I taped a piece of freezer paper to the glass -- now I have both the luxury of a large palette and the convenience of paper.

new wc book.jpg

Just got a second handmade watercolor paper book by this gal on Etsy last week. It has Fabriano 140 lb cold press paper larger than 5x7, almost 6x8. She sends freebies with the books and cover is cloth made for book coverings. This one will open flat so easier to work on and easier to scan. The first 5x7 book would not lay flat so hard to paint in it also.

I just got my art supply order in. I’m still waiting on one tube of paint.
I’ve been going through my art stuff during the rearranging of my studio so I also got everything I needed to round out my drawing supplies.
20230530_114029.jpg

Today I bought one thing I needed, which was an Arches block (8 x 10), hot press paper. Hopefully, I'll make some watercolors on them. I have a bunch of chipboards and plastic envelopes for displaying works on paper for that size when I participate in an open studios event in October.

Ayin, I painted one of my fave paintings, a portrait of Jake (our cat) on a sample piece of hot press paper. I ordered a block but have not used it yet.

As I want to try different watercolor papers w/o the investment of large quantities, I recently signed up for monthly watercolor paper samplers on Etsy, here. Great way to support other artists and try products. I have bought from her before and am really pleased.

il_1588xN.4420152876_pd5k.jpg

Back